Discussion: 2020 Ford Raptor or 2020 Jeep Gladiator

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.outsideonline.com/2391695/2019-ford-ranger-best-mid-size-truck

Interesting article in support of the ranger, especially with pricing, capability and standard features
At this point I wouldn't buy the new Ranger simply for the fact the all new Ranger will be out in 2021-22 so your basically buying an old model. The new Ranger should be better in every way and I think will have more aftermarket support since its platform is shared with the new Bronco.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
At this point I wouldn't buy the new Ranger simply for the fact the all new Ranger will be out in 2021-22 so your basically buying an old model. The new Ranger should be better in every way and I think will have more aftermarket support since its platform is shared with the new Bronco.
Yeah I skimmed the article and my basic take away was the Ranger is old and out dated and we are spinning that to be a good thing.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
^^^

And then he compares the price of a base 4x4 Ranger FX4 (~28k) to what he thinks the JT Rubicon will be (~60k) ...

Talk about an apples to oranges comparison...

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I might be screwed.. I saw a new Velocity Blue Raptor today and my wife didn't say NO.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spoke with my older brother about getting a Raptor. His first response was, "WTF are you thinking,,,, buying an overpriced F-150." Then he went on about the Chevy truck he really wants costing about $70K. The only difference is that I can afford a $70K truck and he can't.

My brother is a Jeep diehard. It's one of the things we love about each other. haha. But I'm still considering the Raptor. For one, it's larger and a better family vehicle. No one argues about it's off road prowess. It's not a crawler, but then I'm not looking for a crawler. I'm more of an overlander guy.

If I were to go for a Raptor, I would have to special order it. The dealer said it would be an eight week wait. But he also said he would get me a decent discount on it. The one I built on Ford.com had an MSRP of $67000. These dealers are putting $2000 of STICKERS on this damn thing. $3000 if you count the Carbon Fiber package. Geez... They have some sweet Alcantara Recaro but those add $2395 and frankly, the regular leather seats are pretty sweet as it is. Take that crap off along with the Tech Package, Beadllock wheels, tailgate step, kicker subwoofer, stowable ramps, and moonroof and you get to the much more reasonable $67K I mentioned with the 802A package (which is pretty sweet IMO).

I did find a used 2017 Raptor, with just over 9000mi, in Colorado Springs for $60200. Tempting.

On the negative side, the Raptor is 1/4 of an inch too long to fit in the main bay of my garage. It will fit in the 3rd bay but I'll have to relocate all my tools to the central bay, which is kinda weird. It would also be hard to open the door nearest the wall. Of course registration in Colorado would be significantly more expensive. I haven't even run the numbers on buying this thing. While it's size is an advantage in many situations, it's a disadvantage on many trails that narrow to barely a truck's width. Also, many of my JLU's mods can be transferred to a Gladiator. I'd have to sell them or include them on the trade of my JLU if I went with the Gladiator.

But the biggest disadvantage to a Raptor is the community. The Jeep community is simply kick ass. There is barely any Raptor community out there. I've checked a few message boards and frankly there are too many a-holes out there. The Jeep community has it's a-holes but they are just a tiny, but vocal, minority.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
But the biggest disadvantage to a Raptor is the community. The Jeep community is simply kick ass. There is barely any Raptor community out there. I've checked a few message boards and frankly there are too many a-holes out there. The Jeep community has it's a-holes but they are just a tiny, but vocal, minority.
I can vouch for this. My brother just factory ordered a new 2019 Raptor, currently he owns a F150. And yes he can be an a*shole time to time :angel:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Are you on FFR or FFR FB Group? It seems like a bunch of ass holes, but its really like a fraternity over there and everyone just giving each other a bunch of shit. Once you see that its actually a pretty fun community. I honestly will scroll through the FB group when looking for a good laugh. Also most of them are down to help out if you really want real advice.

Im about 90% sure Im going to get a lightly used Raptor. I've seen 802A packages for mid 50s with around 20-25K miles which is fine for me. Just want to makes sure to buy something thats stock and hasn't been abused.

EDIT: Oh and tell your brother-in-law the Raptor will have better resale value then his Chevy and even the standard F-150 so when you actually calculated cost of ownership it really isn't much more.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
TFL has completed their Ike Gauntlet test of the Gladiator.

It’s in for editing as we speak and I, like so many on this forum, can’t wait to watch.

The word is that my fears are confirmed. The 3.6 is simply too weak to maintain adequate highway speed on long uphill grades. I live in Salt Lake City and traveling any direction to the east or south east requires a long highway-speed climb not too different from the Ike.

FCA published the 3.6 output numbers from the beginning so there are really no surprises here but I wanted a Gladiator so bad I could not help but remain hopeful. I had a Defender 90 for 10 years and found in the last few I never put the top on it all thanks to Utah weather and garage parking pretty much everywhere I went.

I really miss that so the Gladiator had me so excited. I also have to have a pick up truck and combining both needs in one vehicle frees up a lot of garage space.

So here I am. Unbelievably giddy about everything that the Gladiator is, yet about to put my money on a big fat Raptor . The ability to maintain safe highway speeds on very long uphill climbs while pulling 5,000 lbs. is the dealbreaker.

Otherwise, there is no question I would’ve gone with the jeep .

Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link

It’s in for editing as we speak and I, like so many on this forum, can’t wait to watch.

The word is that my fears are confirmed. The 3.6 is simply too weak to maintain adequate highway speed on long uphill grades. I live in Salt Lake City and traveling any direction to the east or south east requires a long highway-speed climb not too different from the Ike.

FCA published the 3.6 output numbers from the beginning so there are really no surprises here but I wanted a Gladiator so bad I could not help but remain hopeful. I had a Defender 90 for 10 years and found in the last few I never put the top on it all thanks to Utah weather and garage parking pretty much everywhere I went.

I really miss that so the Gladiator had me so excited. I also have to have a pick up truck and combining both needs in one vehicle frees up a lot of garage space.

So here I am. Unbelievably giddy about everything that the Gladiator is, yet about to put my money on a big fat Raptor . The ability to maintain safe highway speeds on very long uphill climbs while pulling 5,000 lbs. is the dealbreaker.

Throwing a turbo or supercharger will fix the high altitude issues the 3.6 is having. The 3.0 turbo they are currently looking to replace the 3.6 with won't share this same weakness and neither will the turbo diesel.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Throwing a turbo or supercharger will fix the high altitude issues the 3.6 is having. The 3.0 turbo they are currently looking to replace the 3.6 with won't share this same weakness and neither will the turbo diesel.
All valid points. IMO it's a good reason to wait for the Diesel. The cost of a turbo or SC on the 3.6 kinda justifies getting a diesel instead.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
All valid points. IMO it's a good reason to wait for the Diesel. The cost of a turbo or SC on the 3.6 kinda justifies getting a diesel instead.
Not only that but who in their right mind wants to void a powertrain warranty on a new $60K pickup? A S/C might make sense if your buying used with 40,000-60,000 miles on the clock but not new.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

I feel ya on this. Going out of Idaho is very similar. HWY manners are soooooo important.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Not only that but who in their right mind wants to void a powertrain warranty on a new $60K pickup? A S/C might make sense if your buying used with 40,000-60,000 miles on the clock but not new.
People do it all the time, I bought a new Mustang back in 2012 in the first week it had a new tune, intake manifold, and rear suspension setup. If I were to look at adding aftermarket FI to a new Gladiator I would be using a Sport max tow, not a Rubicon.
Sponsored