Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
This looks like a great solution.

Checking to see if you looked at the Yakima OutPost tower setup. I already have the Yakima towers from a previous truck and want to order the Bak X4s for the Gladiator.

The Yakima towers are 13 inches in height but lean towards the center of the bed. They also have a tiedown loop on the inside of the tower that might get in the way of the X4s. I was not sure if there is enough clearance for the X4s to fully open with the OutPost towers installed.

Hoping someone has tried this solution with sucess.
I've seen someone else here retrofit the Yakima model to work (I believe there are some t slot adapters you can buy). I think it was the full height version. From what I remember, I wasn't really happy in the photos of how the feet sat on the bed/tslot channel (just aesthetically). I've seen the yakima rack on another truck model though and it is definitely more robust then this setup. It's also significantly more expensive though. Although I think angling in the rack is probably better from a load carrying perspectively, I find the square look of this rack (imo) fits the body/look of the gladiator well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Got the bikes on. The rack is rock solid while driving. Bikes move around a bit but that is due to the flexing of the bike mounts themselves, not the bed rack. A bit of a pain getting the bikes up there but it works.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220611_154457-01

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220611_154449-01

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220611_160410-01

On another note, a few other things I've noticed:

- The black anodized coating scratches super easily. If I didn't greatly prefer it's aesthetics, I'd likely not go black.
- I did notice a very slight amount of surface rust on the (what I assume are black oxide) bolts that came with the corner gussets on the bolts that mount to the x4s rail (the only bolts where water can sit). Nothing that can't be simply wiped off, but like I've mentioned before, I was thinking about security bolts and if I end up doing that I might be switching these out with stainless.

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Question Time!

Been thinking about the best way to lock down items on this rack and looking for input. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as locking eyebolts/tiedowns? Something where the eyebolt can be tightened and then locked so it just free spins or something like that? Google didn't help but I might not be using the right term.

Otherwise, what I might try is simply sticking a lock through the corner gussets. Since the lock would be (hopefully) thick enough to block the top of the bolt in the corner gusset, the gussets itself couldn't be loosened. Might have trouble finding the right size lock though...

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220612_075537-01

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220612_075534-01

Anyone have any other ideas?

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
So, I tried sanding down one side of an extra tnut so that I could install it in a way I would consider more "proper" (more mating surface with the top of the rail). That proved to make the nut too loose, and being that it's somewhat small in the rail also caused it to rotate.

While it it "working" the way I have them (oriented upside-down) and seems plenty sturdy, I'm not entirely happy with it (I'd like something with a larger mating surface). Rather than reinvent the wheel, I've contacted BAK themselves for a recommended t-nut so I'll keep this updated when I get a response.

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Well, unfortunately neither the support on bakflip.com or BAK industries themselves could get me information on what fit their rail. A bit disappointed that they did not have any recommendations on t nuts or t bolts that would fit and just told me to essentially buy a rack that advertises compatibility with their cover.

I ended up hitting my local hardware store and found what they called "spot weld nuts" that looked like they would work. Bought all that they had (only enough for one of the rails) and some stainless hardware. These work significantly better than the upside down t nuts that came with the corner brackets. They fit well and with a half inch bolt the rack slides very easily when loosened and snug when tight.

Since the hardware store couldn't tell me when they would get more in (and didn't have them available online) I found what I "think" are the same ones on Amazon. Once I confirm this I'll post up a link to everything I bought.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220619_175542-01

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220619_175555-01

Sponsored

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Still waiting on the nuts, but figured while I wait I would try out my shorter rack legs. Only put on half the corner brackets this time since I only have enough of the new nuts for that and its probably unnecessary for both brackets at this height. Now that the rack slides so easily I might keep them at this height for when I'm only using the bike rack on a temporary basis and don't need to (as easily) roll up the tonneau cover. When not using them (especially without the extra corner brackets) they can rest right next to each other at the front of the bed and be pretty much completely out of the way. Just a couple turns of an allen wrench and I can move them right into place if I need them.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220623_061944-01

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220623_061950-01

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220623_062158-01

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
I know yours is different because you custom built it, but https://xtrusion-overland.com/ has some great stuff.
I've seen that one mentioned a few times. I think it's a great option and definitely heavier-duty than what I've built here. It has it's pro's, but it's also about 4 times as expensive and for my purposes I have no regrets going the DIY route.

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
The spot weld nuts from Amazon finally came in:
https://a.co/d/381wwje
https://a.co/d/8NIUHCP

They are exactly the same as the ones I found locally. Swapped them in with the stainless hardware and I'm pretty much done with this project (for now). Total spent is right around $260 for the rack at two heights, the mounting hardware for the x4s track, and plenty of extra bolts and t nuts for mounting random stuff.

Blindjustice1787

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Any idea what the maximum weight the x4s rails will hold? There are a few rack systems out there that can mount to t rails, but I worry about what the t rails can actually take dynamically.

Sponsored

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Any idea what the maximum weight the x4s rails will hold? There are a few rack systems out there that can mount to t rails, but I worry about what the t rails can actually take dynamically.
Yeah, I'm not worried with the bikes I have, but I can definitely see some racks being rated higher than the track can support. I would think there would be varying dynamic limits though, since I'm sure weight at different heights (half rack vs full rack) would stress it differently while driving.

jeepobx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Great project. I like the flexibility it offers. I’ve not seen a Revolver in person, but it looks as if you could leave your sort rack pushed up against the cab and still roll up the cover to carry a larger load.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
The spot weld nuts from Amazon finally came in:
https://a.co/d/381wwje
https://a.co/d/8NIUHCP

They are exactly the same as the ones I found locally. Swapped them in with the stainless hardware and I'm pretty much done with this project (for now). Total spent is right around $260 for the rack at two heights, the mounting hardware for the x4s track, and plenty of extra bolts and t nuts for mounting random stuff.
Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 3C75A3DC-5616-4DE0-B4C9-5B9564FD8D0B

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Great project. I like the flexibility it offers. I’ve not seen a Revolver in person, but it looks as if you could leave your sort rack pushed up against the cab and still roll up the cover to carry a larger load.
Your suspicions are correct. I currently have the short rack up front and have used it the way your described. With the cover rolled up the straps have plenty of length to secure it. I'll try to remember to grab a photo of it tomorrow.

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Here it is with it strapped up front against the shorty bars.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220629_062646-01

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 20220629_062627-01

Although I don't have a "need" for it right now, it got me thinking. If I had the trail rail system or some unistrut I could have a strap that ran along it the interior of the bed and could very easily use my short bars as "stops" to set the tonneau cover partially rolled up at various lengths.

Alas, I do not have a rail system in the bed otherwise I'd play around with that idea just for the fun of it.
Sponsored