Sponsored

DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s

jeepobx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Thanks for sharing the photos and your custom build!
Sponsored

Beach Buggy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Utility Engineer
Nice build, a modified version might be just the thing for carrying surfboards and SUPs. Is your sense that the track would be strong enough for that? Weight is not the concern as much as uplift force.

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Nice build, a modified version might be just the thing for carrying surfboards and SUPs. Is your sense that the track would be strong enough for that? Weight is not the concern as much as uplift force.
It's not the same thing, but if I ever buy the kayak I've been wanting I don't have any hesitation about purchasing taller legs and having the kayak hang over the cab (I would probably purchase the larger corner brackets though).

I haven't tried pulling "up", but I've grabbed the bars and shaken them with some force left and right, forward and back, and they seem pretty stout (pretty much the whole truck is moving around before the bars move any noticeable amount).

For your example, I think it would work but I'd probably initially only drive it with the tonneau cover closed since the plate that contains the track flexes a bit more when it's rolled open.

Beach Buggy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Utility Engineer
It's not the same thing, but if I ever buy the kayak I've been wanting I don't have any hesitation about purchasing taller legs and having the kayak hang over the cab (I would probably purchase the larger corner brackets though).

I haven't tried pulling "up", but I've grabbed the bars and shaken them with some force left and right, forward and back, and they seem pretty stout (pretty much the whole truck is moving around before the bars move any noticeable amount).

For your example, I think it would work but I'd probably initially only drive it with the tonneau cover closed since the plate that contains the track flexes a bit more when it's rolled open.
Great info, thanks. Your system is the most professional looking DIY rack I've seen.

Sponsored

TheLunk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Overland Snazzberry (traded in 2020 Max Tow)
This post put a hurt on my wallet :)

I've got a X4s on the way, and an order into Tnutz...

I'm going with the 1530 stock, and the four-hole gussets, as I'm planning to run 24" uprights for an over-cab kayak rack...

I'll get some pics when everything comes in...

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
This post put a hurt on my wallet :)

I've got a X4s on the way, and an order into Tnutz...

I'm going with the 1530 stock, and the four-hole gussets, as I'm planning to run 24" uprights for an over-cab kayak rack...

I'll get some pics when everything comes in...
Looking forward to seeing it!

TheLunk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Overland Snazzberry (traded in 2020 Max Tow)
Looking forward to seeing it!
Just waiting on an order from Grainger with some longer cap screws. The 1/2 inch I ordered wouldn't -quite- work... and for sure didn't leave me thread room for a lock washer, as I wanted to use... Might have things together later this week...

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Just waiting on an order from Grainger with some longer cap screws. The 1/2 inch I ordered wouldn't -quite- work... and for sure didn't leave me thread room for a lock washer, as I wanted to use... Might have things together later this week...
Did you ever end up getting this set up?

dfreezy

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude
Thanks for sharing these details, especially the part list you went with, very helpful! I'm considering a similar setup to use for my 3 kayaks or cargo box, except maybe going with the 1.5x3" bars and 4-hole corners for added beefiness. You mentioned the black scratching easily, have you come up with a solution for that? I was thinking of maybe using Rust-Oleum undercoating after assembly. Did you ever come with a solution to increase security?

Sponsored

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Thanks for sharing these details, especially the part list you went with, very helpful! I'm considering a similar setup to use for my 3 kayaks or cargo box, except maybe going with the 1.5x3" bars and 4-hole corners for added beefiness. You mentioned the black scratching easily, have you come up with a solution for that? I was thinking of maybe using Rust-Oleum undercoating after assembly. Did you ever come with a solution to increase security?
Unfortunately, I don't have a solution to the black scratching. It hasn't been "that" bad so far, but I've been careful with it. An additional coating might help, but I'd be worried about effecting clearancing if the overspray got in the channels of the extrusion.

Regarding security, although its not a perfect solution what I've done so far when locking down my bikes was a basic cable looped around the bikes and locked around one of the corner gussets attached to the tonneau cover rail. By locking it this way it keeps the bolt head from being accessible with a tool so you can't loosen the gusset for removal to circumvent breaking the lock. It's not the strongest security, but should hopefully at least keep honest people honest when I have the bikes unattended for short spurts of time.

20220612_102938-01.jpeg

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Awesome idea and execution @arskemp. This inspired me to make a rack, the idea being cheaper than available racks though I did still spend a bit once my ideas started growing.
I copied an idea for a slide out from xtrusion overland, and after I ordered parts I also saw a video by Ozark Overland where he shows some cool custom things he has from them, like an overhead slide, a flip up access panel, and inside a flip up tote holder.
Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 070F24BD-6302-49E8-A1DB-7464BCB65203
Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 97748453-76BE-4C24-BB14-0910507E51DA

might do an overhead slide later, we’ll see.
I copied the xtrusion video to a T, added carriage bolt and knob handle as a way to tighten the slide closed.
Anyways here’s mine and a parts list. I ordered as much stainless hardware as I could. Received McMaster stuff in 3 days (over holiday no less) and the tnutz stuff about 20 days later.
I made mine roof level in case I decided to carry something longer than the bed or a huge tent.. my legs are 23” but prob could’ve gone a little lower.
(EDIT: cut them down to 18.5” and the rack looks better now sitting just below cab height.)
You only need about 7” to clear an original Bak x4, not sure if the new X4s is lower.
I went with anchor hardware because a chart on 8020 said it was strongest, but also a pain in the ass. The gusset brackets are simpler. Tnutz does do the counterboring pretty cheaply though.
Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 37F90C99-C5EA-41D3-9589-8B49CD3A5C6E
Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s D194592C-6B09-4010-B30E-90DC5D6507B0

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 9EBAA449-A4CD-4CD4-AE10-90700983D472

TNutz.com:
ProductQuantityPriceEX-1530-BLACK - 1.5" x 3" BLACK Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion
  • Length (in):
  • Fractional length:
    0.000"
  • Machining for one end.:
    Ø13/16" Counterbore @ "E" $0.75
  • Machining for other end.:
    Ø13/16" Counterbore @ "I" & "J" $1.50
2$51.50EX-1530-BLACK - 1.5" x 3" BLACK Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion
  • Length (in):
  • Fractional length:
    0.000"
    Ø13/16" Counterbore @ "H" $0.75
    Ø13/16" Counterbore @ "I" & "J" $1.50
2$51.50EX-1530-BLACK - 1.5" x 3" BLACK Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion
  • Length (in):
  • Fractional length:
    0.000"
    Ø13/16" Counterbore @ "E" & "H" $1.50
    Ø13/16" Counterbore @ "E" & "H" $1.50
4$230.00EX-1530-BLACK - 1.5" x 3" BLACK Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion
  • Length (in):
  • Fractional length:
    0.250" (1/4")
    No machining
    No machining
2$115.00EX-1530-BLACK - 1.5" x 3" BLACK Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion
  • Length (in):
  • Fractional length:
    0.750" (3/4")
    No machining
    No machining
2$113.00(AFC-015-BLACK) BLACK Single Anchor Fastener Cam Only28$47.60(CB-015-K-BLACK) 15 Series 4 BLACK Hole Inside Corner Gusset
  • MOUNTING HARDWARE:
    NO HARDWARE REQUIRED
4$26.20(ST-015) 15, 30 or 40 Series Standard T-Nut - 5/16-18
  • Thread Size:
    5/16-18
20$9.60(DT-015) Drop-In T-Nut with flexible rubber handle - 5/16-18
  • Thread Size:
    5/16-18
20$17.0015 SERIES - BLACK PLASTIC END CAP – BLANK - 1.5'' x 3''
  • Size:
    1.5'' x 3''
8$7.60(AC-015-A) 15 Series 1/4-Turn Drop-In Cable Tie15$11.25(JP-015-G-BLACK) 15 Series 4 Hole 90° Joining Plate - Black Anodize
  • MOUNTING HARDWARE:
    NO HARDWARE REQUIRED
4$19.00(LM-015-B) 15 Series Single Short Slider w/UHMW pad & hardware
  • BRAKE HANDLE:
    No Brake Handle
16$168.80Subtotal:$868.05Shipping:$132.42 via Ground (UPS)Payment method:Apple Pay (Stripe)Total:$1,000.47

McMaster:
Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s B4493A35-0BD4-4CA6-9BFB-AAA4FE071CDA

I didn’t order enough nuts!
Hardware adds up….

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 1440FB64-1C46-40C0-9F42-B022276655D2

Edit: total box weight about 118 pounds.

Last edited:

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
arskemp—-that is fantastic. Clean setup and exactly what I would like to do for my tent. I want to make it just tall enough for my cover to roll up—like you did. My tent is 140lbs. What are your (or anyone’s) thoughts on it handling that weight on the road?

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT
arskemp—-that is fantastic. Clean setup and exactly what I would like to do for my tent. I want to make it just tall enough for my cover to roll up—like you did. My tent is 140lbs. What are your (or anyone’s) thoughts on it handling that weight on the road?
I am sure it would be fine carrying the tent with the 2 screw corner brackets. However, I would probably go with the bigger 4 screw corner brackets for the added people weight when sleeping.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I have no doubt my rack would hold it.
I would worry two separate F/R racks wouldn’t be stable enough so I think you need some connection between the front and back rails, like a rail on each side connecting the front and back.
BTW I chose anchors because they were pretty hidden and supposedly strongest connection according to chart on 8020.net
Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 3DFF08F4-FB7F-4952-8E6E-6C453ED15EEB

I was surprised #7 corner gussets were not stronger, though they do not list double gussets and I bet those would be strongest?
Assembling the anchors were kind of a pain because they were hard to line up the nuts and bolts while holding the rails in place. I think corner gussets are easier to work with and probably strong enough.
Sponsored