Questions for BAK Revolver X4S owners

kcmudbug

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator, 2006 Unlimited
I'm looking for others that have this cover to answer some questions. Before I start, let me say that I have contacted RealTruck and have been happy with their response. I just need to know if what I'm seeing is normal. That will help me figure out what I need to do.

The lip that extends off the back of the rolling part of the cover sits about 1/2" above the top of the tailgate. It would seem that it shouldn't have that much gap, but I don't see how I could get it to be any less since the rails are on the bed rail caps and level. The rails are as far forward as they'll go which is where they have to be to get the tailgate to close. Even at that it's a very tight fit. The rolling cover is back as far as it can go and still latch, but the seal below the lip on the back of the cover doesn't reach the tailgate. The flaps on the rolling part go just past the end caps on the rails and the flaps capture them, so it looks like it's right. The gap concerns me because I can lift up on the back of the cover and pull the wire to unlock it with the cover latched and the tailgate closed. It's tight, but it's not hard to do. Also the end caps for the rails set lower than they should. You can twist them so they are flush with the t-slot on the outside or so they are captured by the flaps on the inside.

Is this normal?

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg
Sponsored

ErylFlynn

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkn Mojave, 2008 JK Unlimited Det Yellow
I can check later, but mine is not sealing well at this point. I have been adding tailgate seals and I am getting a leak along the top and should not. I suspect the seal on the top should be wider, or farther back. I was thinking of loosening it up and see if I can slide the assembly back closer to the tail gate.

fireproof69

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Machinist
I just purchased mine and haven’t had a day off work to install it… definitely following this convo!

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Jeep Gladiator Questions for BAK Revolver X4S owners IMG_6134

This is what mine looks like, slight overhang

Sponsored

johnchabin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 1993 FD3S
Occupation
Engineer
This is mine, front & back:

Jeep Gladiator Questions for BAK Revolver X4S owners IMG_4702

Jeep Gladiator Questions for BAK Revolver X4S owners IMG_4701

I didn’t think the instructions were great, but if I remember right, they have you line up the front side (cab side) to get proper placement. There was also an extra roll of foam that was not addressed in the instructions.

Ultimately, I checked the seal by turning on the bed light at night and looking for leakage.

Or mine is wrong, which is possible.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
This is mine, front & back:

I didn’t think the instructions were great, but if I remember right, they have you line up the front side (cab side) to get proper placement. There was also an extra roll of foam that was not addressed in the instructions.

Ultimately, I checked the seal by turning on the bed light at night and looking for leakage.

Or mine is wrong, which is possible.
These two parts should line up at the front, but of course you can adjust it to your liking if the seal in the back isn’t right.
When it’s new, the rear seal needs time to settle in. Mine seals pretty good and doesn’t stick up like @kcmudbug
Jeep Gladiator Questions for BAK Revolver X4S owners IMG_8139

NotoriousWIG

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Technical Manager
Mine also sticks up quite a bit but I haven’t had any issues with leaking as yet.

IMG_0628.jpeg

IMG_0627.jpeg

IMG_0625.jpeg

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Here’s mine. I trimmed the rear plastic piece so it sits flat. I’m guessing if I really tried I could lift the back and get it open but this top is more of a deterrent than secure anyway.
Jeep Gladiator Questions for BAK Revolver X4S owners IMG_8144
Jeep Gladiator Questions for BAK Revolver X4S owners IMG_8143
Jeep Gladiator Questions for BAK Revolver X4S owners IMG_8142

Bananaman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green Sport S JTRD
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Mine also extends about 1/4" in the back. The seal just touches the tailgate when closed. If I remember, I adjusted the front to rear spacing a few times before I got it right.
That being said, they are not guaranteed to be 100% leak free. We had pretty strong storms last night and I have a little water in the back corners of my bed.

Sponsored

ColaJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’ve had 3 of these covers over the years. Bottom line is that the cover wasn’t designed for these types of rails. It’s meant to sit flush in the top of the bed walls. My last was on a RAM 1500. This isn’t a flaw with the cover, just a bad fit with those rails. Throw some black weather stripping on it for a cheap and easy fix.

sns1294

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD
It took some trial and error to get mine where I wanted it, but I have mine positioned so the tailgate seal just touches the tailgate when closed. Too far rearward and it pushes the cover up when closing the tailgate, and too far forward and you get a gap.

I've had mine on for right at a year and it's been great. I get some dust in the bed, but I have not done anything to seal the sides and bottom of the tailgate. No water ingress even with a pair of heavy wires running under the front of the cover between a solar panel and controller.

johnchabin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 1993 FD3S
Occupation
Engineer
These two parts should line up at the front, but of course you can adjust it to your liking if the seal in the back isn’t right.
When it’s new, the rear seal needs time to settle in. Mine seals pretty good and doesn’t stick up like @kcmudbug
Jeep Gladiator Questions for BAK Revolver X4S owners IMG_8142
I installed them lined up, and there was a pretty big gap in back. I moved it forward and it just touches the tailgate.

johnchabin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 1993 FD3S
Occupation
Engineer
What's this weatherstrip for? I didn't see it in the instructions.

Jeep Gladiator Questions for BAK Revolver X4S owners IMG_4703