rezar1

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That’s not too bad for a new vehicle. However, considering the higher property tax and state income tax… still ouch.
There is definitely a premium to living here. Where else can you go skiing in the morning and go to the beach by afternoon?

However, if I could get the wife to agree to leave, I would. She loves it here.
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
There is definitely a premium to living here. Where else can you go skiing in the morning and go to the beach by afternoon?

However, if I could get the wife to agree to leave, I would. She loves it here.
I cannot disagree. My favorite place in the world is the Tahoe area, so cal is amazing down the coast line. The cost premium I just don’t know I could deal with.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
California gonna California.

Glad I left

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT
If you ever get handicap plates you can get a waiver on the weight fee for California registration.

CarlMedina

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Occupation
developer
The weight fee is a standard part of vehicle registration in many states, including California. It's calculated based on your vehicle's weight, and its purpose is to contribute to road maintenance and infrastructure upkeep. So, yes, it's quite common for vehicle owners to have this fee on their renewal notices.However, to get a more precise answer about whether every Gladiator owner has this fee, you might want to connect with other Gladiator owners in your area or visit https://dmvlist.com/. They might have more specific information about fees and what's standard for your vehicle type in California.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Anderson

First Name
Anderson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tinker Extraordinaire
Another workaround for the commercial plates on a 1/2 ton truck in California is getting the registration modified to be a Recreational Vehicle. By doing this, you will be charged RV fees instead of commercial truck. I changed my registration on my Tacoma to RV when I had a Drifter wedge camper shell and a full interior built into the bed. The key was the hard mounted cassette toilet. An appointment with the dmv office and a five minute inspection was all it took.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Another workaround for the commercial plates on a 1/2 ton truck in California is getting the registration modified to be a Recreational Vehicle. By doing this, you will be charged RV fees instead of commercial truck. I changed my registration on my Tacoma to RV when I had a Drifter wedge camper shell and a full interior built into the bed. The key was the hard mounted cassette toilet. An appointment with the dmv office and a five minute inspection was all it took.
I get the money saving part, but does it not stick in your craw that you have to modify your vehicle to something you normally would not do or want?

Anderson

First Name
Anderson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tinker Extraordinaire
I get the money saving part, but does it not stick in your craw that you have to modify your vehicle to something you normally would not do or want?

Didn’t bother me at all. The truck build was almost perfect. It was an added benefit to be able to pay less in registration. That Tacoma is now completely different; fiberglass fenders, long travel, custom springs, etc. and it still is registered as an RV…

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
The weight fee is a standard part of vehicle registration in many states, including California. It's calculated based on your vehicle's weight, and its purpose is to contribute to road maintenance and infrastructure upkeep. So, yes, it's quite common for vehicle owners to have this fee on their renewal notices.However, to get a more precise answer about whether every Gladiator owner has this fee, you might want to connect with other Gladiator owners in your area or visit https://dmvlist.com/. They might have more specific information about fees and what's standard for your vehicle type in California.
No its not - not in VA. Infact my Ram 2500 Diesel costed less to register and insure than my Gladiator. CA is a beautiful state ran by sociopaths. Always wanted to move and even went to mountain view and toured and denied the offer due to the disparity in living expenses - even though the pay seem'd much more things such as registration, the inspections car insurance etc were astronomical ... take into consideration that Jeeps are probably pretty easy to break into and its a bad combination for CA considering theft isn't really prosecuted anymore (in CA). Which is a crying shame CA would make for prime Jeep country.

OP
OP
rezar1

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Just renewed my 2022 Gladiators CA registration for little over $900. It's insane!!!
Sponsored