Do I need to plug this with anything?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Depends on how long that rock really is.
If it’s just stuck in the tread, no big deal.
If it’s long and pointy, it’s gonna leave a pretty big hole. A plug probably won’t fix it.

Kevin

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Depends on how long that rock really is.
If it’s just stuck in the tread, no big deal.
If it’s long and pointy, it’s gonna leave a pretty big hole. A plug probably won’t fix it.

Kevin
Was square with some jagged edges and is about the size of a quarter, a little larger. It did not go all they way through but did look like it got lodged under the first layer of rubber. The Falkens have an inner liner that is supposed to be pretty tough.

I have a 4WP warranty on the tire, is it worth taking to them or just putting some tire fixing goop and calling it good? Im more worries about water and stuff getting inside the outer thin layer than other things finishing the job and punching through

Ended up being a piece of marble feeling material

9000D610-7170-4834-BC0B-98F484BD3930.jpeg

23D048AE-1293-451C-8691-D52BE6F2191D.jpeg

D6EA6AF5-C68C-4975-B0A7-1836E23E50B7.jpeg

Zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
That tire is probably in need of replacement.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That tire is probably in need of replacement.
Well I do have 2 spares if it isn't covered under warranty. Shame about this one, not even 25k miles on it

Use it as a second spare while wheeling?

227FC5A7-E291-489B-817C-3710444BF815.jpeg

1850A181-1702-4CAF-8298-F3B9A206A6CF.jpeg

Sponsored

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Nothing wrong with keeping it as a second spare, at least I would if you are going to keep two spares...

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing wrong with keeping it as a second spare, at least I would if you are going to keep two spares...
Beats just tossing it, right? I was really looking forward to have 2 spares (current rears) that would be useful on rougher trails and use the 2 new ones I had (one original spare under the bed and the other I picked up cheap)

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Beats just tossing it, right? I was really looking forward to have 2 spares (current rears) that would be useful on rougher trails and use the 2 new ones I had (one original spare under the bed and the other I picked up cheap)
It’s definitely what I’d do...👍

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WP is currently saying this is not repairable, but are refusing to agree that this is a Road Hazzard Warranty covered damage because the puncture did not go all the way through. I disagree, their website states:

https://www.4wheelparts.com/gi/xtreme-warranty
If your tire becomes unusable due to road hazard related mishaps and cannot be repaired, we will pro-rate the adjustment based upon the remaining, unused tread on the tire. We will apply the credit towards the new purchase if below 50%. If 50% and above you will receive full credit towards the replacement tire. Then we will replace the unusable tire with a tire of same brand and tread wear (all terrain/mud terrain) of the current mark up value or sell price. We do not cover remount and balance tire fees.

Limitation of coverage: Coverage with Road Hazard Warranty extends for the full period of the mileage of the tire. This coverage is not transferable to a new owner, or if the owner mounts the tires on another vehicle. Coverage extends to such damage as un-repairable tread punctures damage from potholes, nails, glass and jagged metal which cause cuts, snags, punctures, impact breaks, bruises and rim cuts. Vandalism, theft, uneven wear or fire mishaps are not covered under this warranty.

Clearly this is an un-repairable tread puncture. Now, is it a through-and-through puncture? No, but the website doesn't state that punctures need to be.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Based on the wording, an argument can be made that it should be replaced due to the damage. It may be unrepairable damage, but it is not a puncture since it didn't go all the way through the tire. It still holds air and can be driven on, so they won't replace it, yet. Keep driving on it until it won't stay inflated, and then go back, or use it as a spare.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It may be unrepairable damage, but it is not a puncture since it didn't go all the way through the tire. It still holds air and can be driven on, so they won't replace it. Keep driving on it until it won't stay inflated, and then go back, or use it as a spare.
I had a boss who once shoved the debris farther into the tire until it leaked air just a bit. There, now it's a puncture.
I have reservations but I could see his point, too.
Once the protective layers are breached, other stuff - water, sand, dust/dirt, gets in there and starts to ruin the tire from the inside layers in and out.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Comes down to , would you be comfortable driving out on trail and home on that tire, front or rear failure can be a bad thing , so what is your Jeep and life worth? Years ago I almost rolled a ford 4WD compact tractor, went to dealer (my property touched his)and when told the price I balked, the old Pa. Dutch owner of dealer said , “ So my friend you just placed a value of $950 on your life, and your my favorite neighbor, not smartest but favorite”, thought for bit realized I cross that slope a lot and he was right. I never go cheap on something that I might count on to save me or that is just a risk that should not be taken....Jack

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on the wording, an argument can be made that it should be replaced due to the damage. It may be unrepairable damage, but it is not a puncture since it didn't go all the way through the tire. It still holds air and can be driven on, so they won't replace it, yet. Keep driving on it until it won't stay inflated, and then go back, or use it as a spare.
I am getting near the half-way wear point, at which they start to pro-rate the replacement cost. I have put 25k miles on these tires, and they are probably 30-40% worn. I would estimate that in 10k miles they reach the half-way mark. Right when I hit 50k miles on my JT.

I had a boss who once shoved the debris farther into the tire until it leaked air just a bit. There, now it's a puncture.
I have reservations but I could see his point, too.
Once the protective layers are breached, other stuff - water, sand, dust/dirt, gets in there and starts to ruin the tire from the inside layers in and out.

The stuff getting into the puncture and lack of protective layer on that part is my concern too. I emailed 4WP but you know, I specifically asked about the risk of gravel in my driveway getting there. When there is a puncture, I hope it is somewhere convenient, like a slow leak so I can get it to a tire shop in time.

Comes down to , would you be comfortable driving out on trail and home on that tire, front or rear failure can be a bad thing , so what is your Jeep and life worth? Years ago I almost rolled a ford 4WD compact tractor, went to dealer (my property touched his)and when told the price I balked, the old Pa. Dutch owner of dealer said , “ So my friend you just placed a value of $950 on your life, and your my favorite neighbor, not smartest but favorite”, thought for bit realized I cross that slope a lot and he was right. I never go cheap on something that I might count on to save me or that is just a risk that should not be taken....Jack
I have 2 spare Falken MTs that have never been driven on. I have spare rims. I can use the current rear tires as spares, the one with a puncture as a back-up spare. However, I paid extra for a warranty that was "no questions asked" and I read about the "un-repairable damage" being the requirement. I'm ok driving on this tire for a little while, but probably not off-roading.
Sponsored