Do I really need/want a bed cover?

Blindjustice1787

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have been doing all this research into getting a retractable bed cover to work with a bed rack, but then I started thinking about the hauling weight restrictions. The rack I am looking at is less than 100 pounds, but all the retractable covers are 100+ pounds. Is the cover’s weight sacrifice worth it?
Sponsored

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
It obviously depends on your use case. Without knowing more about it, the answer would be “maybe?” I’m sorry to sound sassy, but did you really expect people to give you helpful info knowing nothing about your setup? Depends where you live, how long you leave your truck unattended full of gear, whether the gear is sensitive to the elements, the list of variables is endless.

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
I have the "undercover flex" and I think it's a must for me, it holds open (holds up the last panel when folded) for bigger things, but when closed gives a big dry trunk. It also will hold weight, which I used a dry bag (car top style) for extra family luggage room just this last week. Great accessory, makes the bed so much more usable but can still be a "truck bed" when needed.
My .02

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I have the "undercover flex" and I think it's a must for me, it holds open (holds up the last panel when folded) for bigger things, but when closed gives a big dry trunk. It also will hold weight, which I used a dry bag (car top style) for extra family luggage room just this last week. Great accessory, makes the bed so much more usable but can still be a "truck bed" when needed.
My .02
Yup. A Trifold or roll-up cover (x< 50lbs) would be perfect for most folks needs. It keeps your stuff out of the elements and away from prying eyes.

I got mine used and it was ~40% of the cost of a new one. Look around here and Facebook Marketplace and you can find something that will work for you, but won’t be too heavy.

Edit: I posted up here asking about different options and someone local chimed in and said “I’ve got one and it’s yours if you want it.” It’s worked out well for me and I’ll move it on to someone else for the same price (decent deal) when my camper shell arrives.

If you have to ask yourself whether or not you need one though…my guess would be that you probably don’t “need” it, but it is really nice to have.

John Hursh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Beermeister
My Gladi came from the factory with a soft cover that rolled up and was lightweight. Protected what was in the bed from the elements. Replaced it with a MOPAR hard yeti-fold that gave it added security. Both are worthwhile additions.

Sponsored

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I have a trifold that I love! I don't daily drive with a rack and RTT so I swap them back and forth. I couldn't imagine carrying stuff in the bed and not have it protected from the elements.

Rattydude77

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Contractor
As a contractor I carry many tools in the back of my Gladiator so a cover is perfect so my tools don't get wet I went with the Gator EFX Hard Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover | GC34010 | Fits 2020 - 2022 Jeep (JT) Gladiator 5' Bed ( been a week and so far so good

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I got a soft TRI fold for mine. It's perfect for my needs and I like the clean look of not seeing the bed of the truck all the time. I can also fit my floor steamer and all my equipment under the cover and then lock the rear to keep people out. I only paid $169 for mine new in February 2020 and will buy the same one again when this one wears out. It all comes down to needs, if you don't need to lock anything up back there then I would say no, unless you just like the look. I like the look and use mine. Been looking for a bed extender that will fit under mine.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on what your overall intentions are. But in my opinion Diamondback owns the tonneau cover game. Only issue with it is that “most” not all racks don’t work with it and if they do limit how much you can open it. But for me I never plan on adding a rack so it’s a win. They’re practically bombproof and look official.

RickF

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JT Rubicon
Mine came from the factory with the Mopar hard tri-fold bed cover.

Occasionally, it's a hassle when I want to use the entire bed, because folding it up has it leaning against the rear window glass (a bad design--I added a large strip of thick padding to the underside of the cover for when this happens). BUT, on the whole, I like having the added security. I found a nice Igloo cooler that fits under the cover when closed (a common concern from what I've seen).

And, added bonus I've never heard mentioned: it GREATLY simplifies taking the hard top off and putting it back on. I have a manual hoist on my garage ceiling that I could only put exactly where it is because of the garage door opener. It's not quite aligned with the top when the Jeep is parked. After removing all of the bolts, I slide the hard top back a foot onto the bed cover, which allows it to line up perfectly with the hoist. Even without a hoist, I think it would be really nice to be able to set the heavy hardtop on the bed cover before moving it into its final position--this cuts way down on the chance of dropping it or pinching fingers.

Sponsored

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My first JTR came with the MOPAR soft tri-fold ... super light. Only security was obscurity but still, for my needs at the time it was enough. Second JTR came without and I bought the Rugged Ridge Armis hard rolling tonneau - better security. Heavier but still far under $100. Never even considered a power roll-up tonneau but hey, everyone has different needs.

Bear in mind, prevailing wisdom is that tonneaus drop your mpg.

troymi

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Ecodiesel
I had a hardfold and switched to retractable. Roll N Lock XT has T slot rails. You can add crossbars and then bikes , basket, or whatever you want within weight limits. The space eaten up inside bed is not bad and mostly water tight. Check it out with a search.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I've never had a bed cover on my previous trucks, but when ordering this truck I ordered the rollup one from Jeep. I guess I've gotten enough use out of it to make it worth the $500 or so it cost, but I'm not sure I'll replace it once it wears out / disintegrates from the FL sun....

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
My first JTR came with the MOPAR soft tri-fold ... super light. Only security was obscurity but still, for my needs at the time it was enough. Second JTR came without and I bought the Rugged Ridge Armis hard rolling tonneau - better security. Heavier but still far under $100. Never even considered a power roll-up tonneau but hey, everyone has different needs.

Bear in mind, prevailing wisdom is that tonneaus drop your mpg.
This is a first. How does a cover drop the mpg? I would have figured it would help MPGs
Sponsored