Sponsored

do these automatically idle up/accelerate in 4 low to climb over obstacles?

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I put my front end up on ramps esterday using 4 low to slowly climb up. I'm pretty sure the engine idled up on it's own to climb it. Do they do this? It was my first time using 4 low.
Sponsored

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
I put my front end up on ramps esterday using 4 low to slowly climb up. I'm pretty sure the engine idled up on it's own to climb it. Do they do this? It was my first time using 4 low.
100%. Same as when you're in drive and it moves forward, except in 4 low it's got some grunt to it due to the low range.

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
The automatics do in low range and bumping the shifter into manual shift. That works like creep cruise control and throttle is added automatically to maintain the set speed chosen with the shifter.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
What model and engine?

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
2021 Rubicon with the 3.6L (i should add this to my signature)
You have a very low 4low gearing, 4:1 which is designed for crawling.

OP
OP
jav_eee

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
You have a very low 4low gearing, 4:1 which is designed for crawling.
That i knew. My question was if the engine is supposed to speed up, wihtout me pressing the pedal, to crawl up/over obstacles on it's own. I'm almost certain i heard it do this yesterday. I didn't see anything in the manual that says it would do this which is why i asked.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
No. The engine will never auto accelerate, but the throttle control will be better and you should not need as much due to the low gearing.

OP
OP
jav_eee

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
To my knowledge they only do that in duck mode. Could be that the extra load slowed the engine below idle speed, so it increased to get back to target idle RPM's.
I guess that's possible? But it didn't do it in 2HI, wouldn't it have done it then too beacuse of the same load?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jav_eee

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
No. The engine will never auto accelerate, but the throttle control will be better and you should not need as much due to the low gearing.
I didn’t need any throttle at all, climbed right up on its own which was pretty neat. My driveway is inclined plus the ramps. Pic for fun:

Jeep Gladiator do these automatically idle up/accelerate in 4 low to climb over obstacles? 70795875586__BFA2E35F-30AD-4B36-876B-D70797C4C910.fullsizerender

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I didn’t need any throttle at all, climbed right up on its own which was pretty neat. My driveway is inclined plus the ramps. Pic for fun:

Jeep Gladiator do these automatically idle up/accelerate in 4 low to climb over obstacles? 70795875586__BFA2E35F-30AD-4B36-876B-D70797C4C910.fullsizerender
Right, the low gearing does a phenomenal job at multiplying the torque coming out of your engine. That is really not an obstacle, but what I’m getting at is that if you hit something bigger it won’t just idle up it, it’ll need a bit of throttle to complete its climb. For the most part, even in the gasser as long as you have traction you should rarely ever go over 2k rpm to get over things.