Sponsored

Do you consider the Jeep gladiator as a first Gen vehicle

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / 2000 XJ Sport 4x4
I think it'll be a short run vehicle...max 6-7 years with no significant body changes. i hope. I'm thinking LJ rubicon.
Sponsored

Thed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 MX-5 Miata, '01 Rodeo, '96 Ranger, '17 Ducati Supersport
I think it'll be a short run vehicle...max 6-7 years with no significant body changes. i hope. I'm thinking LJ rubicon.
Yeah, that's not happening. Jeep is going to make this as long as it keeps selling. By the time a few years rolls around the JT will be printing money for FCA, and you'd bet your booty that they'd want to keep it going.

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / 2000 XJ Sport 4x4
Yeah, that's not happening. Jeep is going to make this as long as it keeps selling. By the time a few years rolls around the JT will be printing money for FCA, and you'd bet your booty that they'd want to keep it going.
probably so. i'd prefer a short run though. Wonder when they'll all be semi / all electric? might not get many years of 100% ICE gladiators.

Thed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 MX-5 Miata, '01 Rodeo, '96 Ranger, '17 Ducati Supersport
probably so. i'd prefer a short run though. Wonder when they'll all be semi / all electric? might not get many years of 100% ICE gladiators.
The ICE is not going bye-bye for a long while. Despite all the hype around electric cars, they're not going to be the world-dominator that everyone thinks they'll be. An all-electric future is still decades away for numerous reasons. Will there be hybrid options in the future? You bet. Will there be all-electric versions? Likely. Will the ICE die by the next generation? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
I bought a “first gen” of the 3.6 engine in the JK in 2012. Still driving it at 78k miles, no issues other than one rear axle oil leak fixed under the 5/50 powertrain warranty.

One thing that looks to be newly engineered are the soft/hard top combos available for Gladiator. Derivative maybe from JL but a new shape.

Sponsored

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Half and Half, Since the tooling and plant operations are different then the JL, yes, it kind of is 1st Gen. But as others have stated, thank goodness for the many tried and trued tested similarities. 50/50??

Thanks,

jay

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This pretty much sums it up.

The only part on this entire truck that's totally 100% new is the cargo box, and there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with a cargo box outside of rust and tailgate latch/wiring issues.

I'd say these will be good for 200,000 miles easily.
In hindsight I'm surprised that I typed this because I actually do not agree with it. Lol. After owning a JL Wrangler Unlimited and a JT Gladiator I can tell you with certainty that from the back of the cab to the tail lights there is not one single part that is shared with a Wrangler. Not one. Well maybe the gas cap. Which means that the Gladiator is literally 50% new.

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know whether I'd call it a 1st gen or not...the disappointing part for me is that the front end which is arguably NOT 1st gen is where the majority of the problems are. It should not have taken 3 years of JL's and 1 year of JT's to figure out that the steering is shit and needed to be addressed. I love my truck and don't regret the purchase at all but the steering has been a PITA and expensive to get right on a brand new vehicle.
Sponsored