Sponsored

Does anyone know of a long range fuel tank?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Hopefully there will be enough demand for a company to step up & develop a bigger tank, if not you could always have one custom made ($$$)
Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Watch GenRight. They make larger tanks and conversions for TJ’s and JK’s. They also have a very nice line of heavy duty aluminum fenders, bumpers, etc
I tried to work some kind of a deal with those guys out there and thought I had something but it never happened even after doing a write up on how to prep your Jeep TJ for the Install, even after doing a write up on installing their tube fenders for a client. I was told by one of the guys I talked to they would get back to me but were having some issues with the tank. I finally gave up...They do make good products, I like their stuff and have no hesitation on buying it.

FYI: small shops like mine often go almost no discount. In fact, I got better deals buying from 4wheel parts than I did from most mfg's. I did know them well and promoted them, but I did that for any mfg, I did great write-ups and a lot of pics. Wish it had worked out.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I am not sure what drives automakers to the size of the tank they install...I KNOW what drove Ford to put a 50 gal tank in my F 350 Long Bed...user demand.

What I do know is there are a jillion tanks out there, my bet is if you identify the space, you can find a tank. I have done it before, found the space, took the measurements and then found a tank to fit and increased my tank by 13 gal over my old one.

I have an F-350 also and really appreciate the range. Now if my bladder were a little larger...

What got me thinking about this is a couple of months ago I rented a Toyota 79 Series Land Cruiser overseas and it was outfitted with their extended range tank which I think was 130 Liters (~33 gallons) and it really made a difference in being to get out in the boonies.
The Gladiator is about the same size so it should be doable.

LidLess07x GenRight is one of the ones I contacted.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I agree that there should be room where the DEF tank would go. This truck was designed from the beginning to accommodate the ecodiesel. The tank will only add 8-10 gallons, but that would be enough for me.
If I get a gas JT, I would like to retrofit the DEF tank.

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
I'd install a larger tank in a heartbeat. Having the extra range while towing would be great!

Sponsored

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Titan makes an auxiliary 30 gal fuel tank that fits where the spare tire goes. I'm not sure if they make one specifically for the JT yet, but with that spot being able to fit a 35" tire I don't think it would be very difficult to retrofit one. That's one of the routes I've been considering

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
Just spoke with the reps at titan tanks at the Denver Jeep show today. Per him they will make one more diesel. However he stated a larger gas tank is illegal something to do with emissions.

Never heard that about larger gas tanks before. Hmmmm.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Not sure where your from, but in most locations a gravity fed auxiliary tank is only legal on diesel vehicles.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am going to use this 50 gal. 12 volt Field Transfer Systems tank when I tow and camping, it will be good for jeep, generators and ATV’s.

B88F2F97-D13F-44D0-B298-A00BA4F3806C.jpeg
Transfer tanks are only legal with diesel fuel...and you’re not supposed to fuel the vehicle carrying the container. On top of the container not being fuel approved you may end up with an unintentional bomb due to static. The auxiliary tanks sold by titan are only to be used with diesel. If you go to tractor supply you’ll see in the plaque it states diesel only. If you get caught I’d hate to pay the fine on top of your vehicle tow bill. Game wardens thick for that as well...

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transfer tanks are only legal with diesel fuel...and you’re not supposed to fuel the vehicle carrying the container. On top of the container not being fuel approved you may end up with an unintentional bomb due to static. The auxiliary tanks sold by titan are only to be used with diesel. If you go to tractor supply you’ll see in the plaque it states diesel only. If you get caught I’d hate to pay the fine on top of your vehicle tow bill...especially if you’re miles from a paved roadway. Game wardens check for that as well...

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
LOL, we all want a bigger tank.

But imagine you just spent $30G to put a 700-1000hp supercharged 6.2l in it and still have a 22 gallon tank.

About a 200 mile range.

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
I might be missing something but titan also makes tanks that fully replace the existing tank. Is that also illegal?

How did old trucks with dual tanks get away with it? I'd be cool with a left right switch in a gladiator and two 22 gallon tanks.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might be missing something but titan also makes tanks that fully replace the existing tank. Is that also illegal?

How did old trucks with dual tanks get away with it? I'd be cool with a left right switch in a gladiator and two 22 gallon tanks.
No...full replacements are good to go. You just have to find one that is made for your model.

...not sure. I had a 1979 Big/10 that had a fiberglass tank with a switch on the floor. I don’t thing you could get by with that today.
Sponsored