Sponsored

Door Air Leak

Nuclear_Inc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Hi,

I recently noticed an air leak coming from the top left hand corner of my driver side window. As if your looking at it driving. It’s really annoying and right next to my left ear. It’s a slight sound as of the window was closed 95% of the way up. This week coincidently weather had been Negtive 10-15 plus wind chill. I’m not sure if this extreme Minnesota cold had shrunken the seals a bit.

I’ve already checked both left doors and removed and reseated the freedom top panel. No help. Nothing looks torn. The sound is coming in between the the two left doors near the top edge. It’s really noticeable if you put your left ear against that top left corner of the window driving above 40-50 mph.
Sponsored

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Veteran/DoD Program Analyst
I just had this happen to me when I was messing around the other day and lowered the windshield. I put it all back together and got a whistling in the top left. It wasn't coming from the windshield, just coincidence that it only started after that. I also have a soft top. Make sure that rubber seal in that corner is seated properly and the flap isn't folded over. Compare it with the passenger side. I'll try and get pictures later.

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma
Check the torque on your windshield bolts. If they start to work loose you get wind noise in the exact sport you're describing.

20blue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 overland diesel
Occupation
Construction
Put Vaseline on your door seals and see if that helps

OP
OP

Nuclear_Inc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Check the torque on your windshield bolts. If they start to work loose you get wind noise in the exact sport you're describing.
The noise is in between the driver and pax window area. Not near the windshield.

Sponsored

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
I’d lubricate the weather stripping and retorque the hard top. That’s a good first place to start

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
Couple things to check.

Ensure the door latch striker is seated firmly, or hasn’t moved. That’s the metal piece bolted to the B pillar that the door latch locks onto.

Ensure your door hinges haven’t shifted, and that the door pins are seated completely in the hinges.

Your checking that the door is level at the top and seated properly, far enough towards the rear end.

Eliminating those issues, you’ll be checking that the hard top is seated flush at the bottom of the B pillar where it meets the body of the JT. They tend to shift back and forth over time due to bumps, cold/hot weather, etc.

Ensure the window is seated into the upper channel by rolling it down and up, making sure it’s moving levelly across the top edge. Pay attention as it enters the top door window frame, they sometimes drag and get off level.

Use a flashlight, watch the effected area and weatherstrip as you open and close the door. Make sure it’s filling the upper cavity of the hard top as it closes.

Ensure the space/gap around the door is even when looking from the outside.

Hope this helps. I did door fit for another Stellantis factory and these are some of the things we look for.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
I had this issue on my JL. Because of where the noise was ACTUALLY coming in, and the angle of the A-pillar and dashboard I would swear it was coming from the top, but actually it was coming from the plastic just behind the door mirror. There are some seals there that when "loose" (or maybe cold) allow air to come in to the door itself just behind the A-pillar.

I had mine replaced under warranty and the noise stopped.

This piece (with the tape I had on it to try and isolate the noise)

Jeep Gladiator Door Air Leak 1675537087620

WanderingJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Blue Overland - Prev, 2014 Polar JKU
Occupation
contract manager
I had mine into this shop. did it from factory. They had to order new door seal but said it was on backorder. That does remind me though, I have to call them back to check on it. They did exactly what I did., painters tape all along windshield and door frame and came to same conclusion I told them
Sponsored