Sponsored

Doors off for the first time yesterday. Some questions.

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
I will tell you DON'T get these, or any like it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TBR5Z3L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They shake horribly, the plastic absorbs all the tension so the bolt basically sinks and doesn't get tight, and they fold in and down at any speed above 45mph.
agreed. I have the same/similar and they are junk. Im going to try the scooter type ones posted a post or 2 above yours. Cheap and I like the way the mount much better.
Sponsored

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
1. I'm happy with my JPeggz mirror/footrest combo. Uses the same T50 bit that came in your tool kit to attach with 2 hinge bolts on each assembly.

2. Don't use hinge pins, but have been looking at them to prevent the inevitable "oops".

3. 2 years, 22k miles in SE Alabama, so my doors have been on & off quite a bit. Have not had any issues with the connector, but I analyzed the connector early on and figured out exactly how it works. As others have said, as long as you're careful with initial alignment, push together until a definitive click releases the lever, then use lever to finish the connection; you shouldn't have any issues.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
OP,

I have a set of kickbak’s that I have used now on 2 jeeps and they have been good. I do see a little bit of flutter on the mirror at hwy speeds. Also they were made for the jk and I customized them for the JT.

I’ve never used alignment pins but I have a set I bought from Amazon sitting at home, ready to go.

1 thing to think about is some derlin hinge liners from kontrol or tmr customs. They make pulling/putting doors back in so easy and slick.

As for the door connectors…. Totally up to you my friend, I’ve had 3 jeeps with removable doors for over 10 years… never had an issue with my plugs…. But it could happen. I always say an ounce of prevention helps alleviate issues in the future.

Good luck with your decisions!

Diesl Jp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel; 2013 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Meat Popsicle
For the mirrors, are tube doors a consideration? My wife and kids feel a little more secure having tube doors. It's probably just the illusion of added safety, but it really doesn't negatively impact the doors-off experience. Regardless, many of them come with mirrors. I have these and like them pretty well. The mirrors are very similar to the factory mirrors (minus any electronic bits).

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant

Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
If you want tool-less and nothing remaining when removed, my set up might be what you want.
Its a Double take adventure motorcycle mirror with a RAM Tough-claw, small size w/1" ball and a 3" long RAM arm 1" ball size.

They keep their adjustment and you can pop them on/off the grab handle in seconds.
They are clear and do not budge at speed.

20190727_153236.jpg

20190729_182418.jpg
Do you happen to know the total cost of this set up?
how about links to each part you mentioned?
does the mount leave any marks on your grab handle?
do you do one of these for the passenger side as well?

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the mirrors, are tube doors a consideration? My wife and kids feel a little more secure having tube doors. It's probably just the illusion of added safety, but it really doesn't negatively impact the doors-off experience. Regardless, many of them come with mirrors. I have these and like them pretty well. The mirrors are very similar to the factory mirrors (minus any electronic bits).
I was thinking about this and if you get the Chinese stuff they are very reasonably priced.

But I probably won't be getting tube doors, mainly because I don't want to store them for the 97% of the days when I won't have the main doors off.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other question. I'll put it here hoping for an answer rather than starting a new thread.

The doors have these plastic struts that are used to control them. They seem unnecessary with the canvas parts that prevent the doors from opening too much.

Is it worth reconnecting those plastic struts or just leave them off to make removing the doors easier?

At this point Itried pulling them out but they require too much force. If the consensus is to connect them, what's the best way to get them back out.

Thanks.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
One other question. I'll put it here hoping for an answer rather than starting a new thread.

The doors have these plastic struts that are used to control them. They seem unnecessary with the canvas parts that prevent the doors from opening too much.

Is it worth reconnecting those plastic struts or just leave them off to make removing the doors easier?

At this point Itried pulling them out but they require too much force. If the consensus is to connect them, what's the best way to get them back out.

Thanks.
They're there to prevent the door opening or closing with wind/inclination.

I've lost them inside twice, only way I got them out was with a little help. I hung the door on the hinge opened it up had the wife hold it from swinging too far open and pulled like hell with a pair of vice grips.

john#21

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM Hydro Blue
1) I have these: https://www.quadratec.com/products/13111_0401_14.htm I use a socket wrench to install them. If I tighten them down good, they don't fold in even on the highway. I've had a pair of "toolless" mirrors before and they folded at 35mph. I don't have experience with other mirrors.

2) I use hinge pin guides from Amazon. You don't need expensive ones.

3) Just be careful with it and don't force it. Most of the pin problems I've read about seem to be with the blindspot sensors and safety features. I put mine on and take them off for the last couple summers and haven't had any problems.

I have some like these but with a square mirror. They would fold in over 65 mph. I drilled them out on the upright bar and mounted some gate hinge pieces. I didn't take pics of if but I can later. Now they dont fold in where they are useless. Still vibrate like an SOB though but work enough for my needs. premodded pic for reference

Jeep Gladiator Doors off for the first time yesterday.  Some questions. D93DDDA2-1BCA-4A5B-9B2E-E2FFEF20DF22

0B47D09E-4C0D-49BE-9836-0B9180502ECC.jpeg

2AF9C73F-6981-4EEE-B758-CC6B9E28889D.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have some like these but with a square mirror. They would fold in over 65 mph. I drilled them out on the upright bar and mounted some gate hinge pieces. I didn't take pics of if but I can later. Now they dont fold in where they are useless. Still vibrate like an SOB though but work enough for my needs. premodded pic for reference

Jeep Gladiator Doors off for the first time yesterday.  Some questions. 2AF9C73F-6981-4EEE-B758-CC6B9E28889D
I don't really care about vibration. I've got a Tazer and have found over the last few days that while driving I can turn on the rear camera and that works great.

I really only need side mirrors for backing up and at that low speed vibration isn't an issue.

Thanks.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole

Thanks.
I reconnect them, they do help to keep doors open when on hills.

john#21

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM Hydro Blue
I reconnect them, they do help to keep doors open when on hills.

You taking about the rod that screws to the pillar?

I leave mine extended out so I dont have to mess with pulling them out.

I helped my friend today actually with her JLU, she had pushed them in so "they wouldn't get damaged". I used a screw driver through the hole on the end to get better leverage on it.

It was still a PIA but much easier than trying to use my hands.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
... At this point Itried pulling them out but they require too much force. If the consensus is to connect them, what's the best way to get them back out.

Thanks.
Best thing is to not let them get pushed back into the door. If they do get pushed back in, use a piece of parachute cord tied through the hole and pull it back out...or use pliers.

I thought about leaving mine pushed in, but I like their usefulness of keeping the door open.
Sponsored