First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
It's quite possible that the computer is still "learning" or the software needs an update, etc. Most people who bought a 2020 3rd gen EcoDiesel Ram talk about how responsive the truck is compared to the 2014 - 2019 2nd gen engine. WXman is the only person I've heard on the Ram forum talk about lag time, slow response time, or how slow the truck is at takeoff. Either people's opinions vary to a large degree or there are some early software issues. My truck doesn't come in until May, so I can't give a lot of personal feedback.

Most people I know who have driven the Wrangler EcoDiesel absolutely love it. TFL said the EcoDiesel held the gears better on the highway and the engine felt more responsive through the RPM range. They also did the towing test and said the EcoDiesel performed much better than the Pentastar.

The aftermarket tuners will be a game changer, so I'm optimistic about improving the driving characteristics. Honestly, I would be fine with a stock tune, but minimizing or disabling the EGR would be valuable.
15k fine for messing with anything on a diesel, not worth the gamble.
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
15k fine for messing with anything on a diesel, not worth the gamble.
The EPA isn't coming after you, they are going after companies who are selling aftermarket products that defeat the emissions control systems. Removing emissions components is a big no no, but there are tuners that don't require the user to remove emissions components. For example, you can buy a tune for the Ram EcoDiesel that disables the EGR function, but does not disable the SCR/DEF function. That's why those tunes pass emissions tests in all 50 states. Also, there are tunes that allows you to switch back to stock with a push of a button. Then there are tuning companies, like GDE, who are creating tunes that will be approved by CARB and the EPA. There are lots of options.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The engineers at FCA were prodded about the horrible throttle dead zone and lag by Diesel Power magazine, and the response was that the truck "does that because of how we're dealing with emissions". So it's not going to get better with mileage.

Thankfully, the aftermarket is coming to the rescue later this year. If you want to see what this powertrain is capable of, unplug the MAF sensor and then when the check engine light illuminates, plug it back in and take a drive. The engine will default to pre-set tables and it's NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENT. Throttle response, power, MPGs, everything gets drastically better when it's OFF the stock tuning. This really shows what the aftermarket is going to be able to do for this truck.

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I took my drive today in the Wrangler Ecodiesel. Let me start by saying my comments are purely my subjective opinions. Your mileage may vary. My last diesel was a Mercedes 1999 E300TD. My daily driver is a Ford Expedition EL. My Jeep is a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited (LJ). When I started the Wrangler diesel, It had a clear diesel sound while idling. Not loud or unpleasant, but a car person would recognize it is a diesel. When I had my first opportunity, to accelerate, I did notice a lag. Not a very long one, but it did give me a flashback to my diesel days. I don't think it was anywhere near a second in length, then the turbo kicked in and the thing got up and went. I could only dream of acceleration like that in my LJ. I was able to get on the freeway with no issues and was going 75 in what seemed like a flash. And I was able to carry on a conversation with the salesman while I did it. I don't think I ever bottomed the pedal, but did not need to getting on the freeway and goosing it. Running it up to 80 was effortless. I am sure there was more there if I wanted it. It brought back memories of my Mercedes, which I enjoyed driving for almost 10 years. Do you have to compensate a bit for the turbo lag? Yes, but after that first time, the muscle memory came back for me and I hardly noticed it after that. I will leave the stopwatches and other objective testing to others. It passed my test and I will order one at the first opportunity. I think it will do everything I want it to do on the highway and I am confident it will do the same off road, while giving me me extended range and lots of torque. Will I pay more for the privilege of driving a diesel Gladiator? Probably. I am fortunate enough not to need to care too much. If I was worried about cost, I would not be buying a Jeep. Now, I just need this COVID situation to resolve and the production lines to start kicking some diesel Gladiators out so I can have one.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I took my drive today in the Wrangler Ecodiesel. Let me start by saying my comments are purely my subjective opinions.
Your opinion is spot on with so many that I have heard. By the way, I will be trading/selling my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel for a 2021 Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel. :like:

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Here's your fix if you want more throttle response!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So now that people are getting miles on these, several of us have had a new issue. Not only is the throttle lag horrible due to the calibration and use of a butterfly valve in the tailpipe for backpressure to operate the low pressure EGR, but now there's also a random DEAD throttle condition that occurs where the throttle pedal does nothing for a few seconds and then the truck will jump forward quickly. A few of us have noted this on the Ram side of the forum, and GDE who is a reputable tuner in the industry explained that they see the same thing and they know why the factory calibration does this. They will be releasing a tune for these in 2021 that will address it.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
GDE who is a reputable tuner in the industry explained that they see the same thing and they know why the factory calibration does this. They will be releasing a tune for these in 2021 that will address it.
It's very similar to what the 2014 - 2016 AEM (emissions tune) does. It especially performs that way in warmer temperatures. I'm in the process of ordering the GDE tune for my 2015 to take care of the problem. I look forward to buying the GDE tune for my 2020, too. They said the tune should be available by next summer.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Good. I have not seen a Regen since putting a tune on my WK2 and I still had Def in tank at 10K miles, pretty nice, I know the new tune won't be quite the some but hopefully close enough...
Sponsored