Sponsored

Dumb question...full-time 4WD

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So I’m reading about the 2021 having full-time 4WD. Can someone break this down in idiot terms for me? Are all 4 wheels spinning at the same power now all the time like an AWD as opposed to just the rear 2 like the 2020 or what? Pardon my dumbness. Is dumbness a word? Thanks!
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It simply means you can leave it in 4 wheel drive mode more like the older Grand Cherokees, or even my Eagle. There's a limited slip differential in the transfer case. Can't do that with the 2020 Gladiator. Frankly, I wish mine had that. You can still have 4L lock in some transfer cases for a locked 4 wheel drive mode.

OP
OP

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
It simply means you can leave it in 4 wheel drive mode more like the older Grand Cherokees, or even my Eagle. There's a limited slip differential in the transfer case. Can't do that with the 2020 Gladiator. Frankly, I wish mine had that. You can still have 4L lock in some transfer cases for a locked 4 wheel drive mode.
Thanks. Sorry for more dumb questions here, but when you’re just driving on a normal nice day and you don’t touch any of those 4WD buttons at all are you still driving in 2 wheel drive (rear wheel drive)?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Sorry for more dumb questions here, but when you’re just driving on a normal nice day and you don’t touch any of those 4WD buttons at all are you still driving in 2 wheel drive (rear wheel drive)?
I'm not up on this SPECIFIC transfer case, but if it's like my older Jeeps, you are in 2 wheel drive until or unless you put it in 4 wheel drive, then you can leave it in 4 mode even when you hit dry pavement. The original transfer case like I have is part time meaning when you hit dry road you need to shift back to 2. Around here that's inconvenient as we get a lot of alternating dry, ice, dry, snow drift, dry, snow, dry and so on. A single 10 mile trip can mean switching that transfer case a half dozen or more times.
My other Jeep or my Eagle, if it's iffy, I switch to 4 and leave it until things are clear.
I've not read up on the specific transfer case offered in the 2021.
In most cases, 4L is still a locked mode meaning that the front and rear driveshafts are locked together.

OP
OP

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I'm not up on this SPECIFIC transfer case, but if it's like my older Jeeps, you are in 2 wheel drive until or unless you put it in 4 wheel drive, then you can leave it in 4 mode even when you hit dry pavement. The original transfer case like I have is part time meaning when you hit dry road you need to shift back to 2. Around here that's inconvenient as we get a lot of alternating dry, ice, dry, snow drift, dry, snow, dry and so on. A single 10 mile trip can mean switching that transfer case a half dozen or more times.
My other Jeep or my Eagle, if it's iffy, I switch to 4 and leave it until things are clear.
I've not read up on the specific transfer case offered in the 2021.
In most cases, 4L is still a locked mode meaning that the front and rear driveshafts are locked together.
Thank you for the explanation!

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
2WD, yes, but they're not buttons (like a Ram.) It looks like a traditional transfer case shifter, (but I believe it uses cables instead of linkages.) You can select either 2H, 4H, 4H Auto (Full Time aka AWD) or 4L
Sponsored