Sponsored

Select-trac full time 4wd system not available?

gpwrang33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ 2021 Hydro Blue JTSS MAX TOW
Hey everyone, new to the forum but I've been "stalking" the forum for sometime now and I need some help on answering my question. I'm looking to place my order for my "Hydra" (Mythical Beast) of a truck and part of the build became unavailable. My salesman said that the Select-trac gets takin out of the build after selecting the max tow package but looking at the June order guide it doesn't say it isn't available with max tow. Can anyone help shed some light on this? The truck specs are 2021 Hydro Blue Sport S Max-Tow 8 speed gas plus all the options except smokers package.
Sponsored

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like it's not configurable that way. Same as I couldn't spec a max tow with a manual. Sucks but that's how it works out. Learn to pull a lever when you need 4wd

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The Selec-Trac system is clutch-based vs something with a mechanical differential like the Torsen-equipped Land Cruiser or G-Wagen. AWD systems that lack a center differential are very poor at towing heavy weight. Much like how an automatic transmission will overheat without adequate (typically external) cooling, the transfer case overheats and can burn up clutches/fluid since adding on auxiliary cooling isn't an option.

OP
OP
gpwrang33

gpwrang33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ 2021 Hydro Blue JTSS MAX TOW
The Selec-Trac system is clutch-based vs something with a mechanical differential like the Torsen-equipped Land Cruiser or G-Wagen. AWD systems that lack a center differential are very poor at towing heavy weight. Much like how an automatic transmission will overheat without adequate (typically external) cooling, the transfer case overheats and can burn up clutches/fluid since adding on auxiliary cooling isn't an option.
That sounds logical, I was hoping for the select-trac here in N.Y. for the winters but the truck will eventually be a tow rig so the max tow is more important. Thanks for the help instead of telling me to learn to pull a lever when you need 4wd.
Sponsored