First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2014 Jeep Patriot
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
Can I select the 4:1 Rock-Trac Full Time 4WD System on a new 2021 JLUR with the 3.6L engine with 6 speed manual transmission?

I seems I can only add it if I change engine and opt for the 8 speed Automatic???
Only available with auto.
Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
You just need to understand the design and use cases for it. Not for you? No problem. Doesn't mean it isn't great for someone else.
I agree with this. The standard Rock-Trac is doesn't help much on hard pavement when patches of ice, snow, and or very wet conditions appear unexpectedly. *IF* the Full Time Rock-Trac were available with the manual tranny, I would seriously consider trading in my 2020 for this feature.

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure? The new system still has true mechanical neutral does it not?
I have a 2021 Rubicon with the awd system. It is a five potion t case, also it has two systems together.
It has the following:

2wd- rear
4wd Hi - mechanical linkage
Awd- viscus clutch
Neutral
4wd low- mechanical linkage

I have not had any issues with this t case. I have done some rough off roading,towing 6k lbs 3000 miles and have just over 15k miles on it now.

personally I am very happy with this t case and delayed ordering a 2020 model for a 2021 just so I could have it.

mat the end of the day it’s buyers choice. Get what suites you.

thance

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl sport diesel on the way, 2010 Commander
Does anyone know if the auto case can just be added after the fact. In other words, would a stock transmission, driveshafts and wiring harness just bolt up / plug in from a jt that did not come stock with one?

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Does anyone know if the auto case can just be added after the fact. In other words, would a stock transmission, driveshafts and wiring harness just bolt up / plug in from a jt that did not come stock with one?
Yes you can add it, google Sect-trac on the JL forum, there have been conversions done.

Sponsored

thance

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl sport diesel on the way, 2010 Commander
Thanks Josh, the jl is my primary forum so i should know that. I was just over here cross shopping for parts and seeing what else i was missing

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
3 day old 2021 Rubicon and I got a chance to test out 4H auto in an inch of snow w/ ice this morning… Overwhelming passed the test. Worked great on some slippery ice, and no issue when getting back on drier pavement.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Cracking this thread back open.

Anyone know why the Rock-Trac FT T/case wasn't offered with the manual? I love my manual transmission, but this noncommittal Central Ohio weather would be perfect for a 4Auto system. I've often wondered what it would take to add the 4Auto feature to my current '21 JTR MT.

New T/C? RCV axles? Programming? New dash cluster and shifter? Is it even possible? This is completely ignoring the concept of if it's even worth it (most definitely is not). Just a thought experiment.

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Cherokee, Ram 2500 Hemi,
Occupation
Retired
Bumping a bit but I remember these discussions in the Ram forums years before I saw it in wrangler, gladiator forums. I started with your basic 4WD system in a 2013 Ram with a 5.7 Hemi and 3.55 rear end six speed tranny. It was a great truck but the classic problem are roads in MT in March and April where you got a quarter mile of pavement clear to maybe some icy little sections then a quarter mile of slush, snow icy... You really need to be hitting that 4WD button a bunch or you may be in trouble. Also, my neighborhood mailbox area becomes a polished mess of ice/snow etc. on a slight incline up going into the neighborhood.

In 2015, I discovered I could get the limited slip diff and on that truck, it helped dramatically by the mailboxes and a bit on the roads but I was still pushing 4WD on the roads. Then there was "auto 4WD" on my 21 1500 and I was sold... NOW, I will not buy a Gladiator without selec trac and preferably the limited slip or as I find now a full time 4WD Rock Trac on the Rubicon... Those are like a must for me and my particular situation... Regular 4WD not turned on in an empty truck on Montana roads in March/April thaw, can be very dangerous and of course, you will forget upon occasion but generally be reminded in an unnuanced fashion and going That was close... I hate that. And Ram doesn't have fancy terms for the systems as I remember. It was auto 4wd, LSD or not... Of course a million threads on how "good," "bad," the systems were, ad nauseum. I learned the hard way...FOR MONTANA... I can't speak to anywhere else.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Bumping a bit but I remember these discussions in the Ram forums years before I saw it in wrangler, gladiator forums. I started with your basic 4WD system in a 2013 Ram with a 5.7 Hemi and 3.55 rear end six speed tranny. It was a great truck but the classic problem are roads in MT in March and April where you got a quarter mile of pavement clear to maybe some icy little sections then a quarter mile of slush, snow icy... You really need to be hitting that 4WD button a bunch or you may be in trouble. Also, my neighborhood mailbox area becomes a polished mess of ice/snow etc. on a slight incline up going into the neighborhood.

In 2015, I discovered I could get the limited slip diff and on that truck, it helped dramatically by the mailboxes and a bit on the roads but I was still pushing 4WD on the roads. Then there was "auto 4WD" on my 21 1500 and I was sold... NOW, I will not buy a Gladiator without selec trac and preferably the limited slip or as I find now a full time 4WD Rock Trac on the Rubicon... Those are like a must for me and my particular situation... Regular 4WD not turned on in an empty truck on Montana roads in March/April thaw, can be very dangerous and of course, you will forget upon occasion but generally be reminded in an unnuanced fashion and going That was close... I hate that. And Ram doesn't have fancy terms for the systems as I remember. It was auto 4wd, LSD or not... Of course a million threads on how "good," "bad," the systems were, ad nauseum. I learned the hard way...FOR MONTANA... I can't speak to anywhere else.
This is an old thread, you can now get full time 4x4 in certain trims. Since I got my JT I have not kept up with every spec on the trim levels but check out the Willys, High Altitude, Mojave or Freedom trims in the build and price tool. Won’t come in a Rubicon. Sounds like Full Time 4x4 is a must have for you. You will give up a little in the crawl ratio, but I personally feel it is worth the trade off.
Sponsored