Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Your wife grocery getter is what this option is for. Any off-road and no way you would want that.

I can only guess the long term maintenance cost vs old school 4wd
What give you this opinion? I have completed my order with the 4:1 Rock-Trac Part time 4WD. will be getting it march 29th, talked to dealer and if you look on page 170 of the 2021 owners manual, it describes a five position transfer case witch matches the picture of the selector on the Jeep website, it has 2H, 4H auto, 4H PT, N and 4L. this particular T-case in my opinion has the best of both worlds, the 4H Auto works with a viscus clutch system for normal road use - all wheel drive, however when in 4H pt or 4L it is mechanically locked for off road with the 4:1 ratio.

so I can keep in 2h on normal days crapy weather I can have it in 4 auto and while off roading I can use 4H pt or 4L pt with the 4:1 ratio mechanically locked, I really don't see a down side or why you would think it is for a grocery getter only, can you elaborate?
Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
What give you this opinion? I have completed my order with the 4:1 Rock-Trac Part time 4WD. will be getting it march 29th, talked to dealer and if you look on page 170 of the 2021 owners manual, it describes a five position transfer case witch matches the picture of the selector on the Jeep website, it has 2H, 4H auto, 4H PT, N and 4L. this particular T-case in my opinion has the best of both worlds, the 4H Auto works with a viscus clutch system for normal road use - all wheel drive, however when in 4H pt or 4L it is mechanically locked for off road with the 4:1 ratio.

so I can keep in 2h on normal days crapy weather I can have it in 4 auto and while off roading I can use 4H pt or 4L pt with the 4:1 ratio mechanically locked, I really don't see a down side or why you would think it is for a grocery getter only, can you elaborate?
As I pointed out in another thread you posted to, you only get the 4H Auto IF you ordered the "4:1 Rock-Trac FULL TIME 4WD (transfer case) System" option for an additional $695. Otherwise, with a Rubicon you only get the 4:1 Rock-Trac PART TIME 4WD (transfer case) System.

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
As I pointed out in another thread you posted to, you only get the 4H Auto IF you ordered the "4:1 Rock-Trac FULL TIME 4WD (transfer case) System" option for an additional $695. Otherwise, with a Rubicon you only get the 4:1 Rock-Trac PART TIME 4WD (transfer case) System.
Ah didn't see your clarification on that, thanks. Glad we can hash things out here, so hard with just typing instead of actual conversations sometimes lol. Cheers.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

just to add we did a lot of wheeling already in my wife’s 2 door with this option and no issue. It’s really, really nice. Drove up to Moab in blizzard conditions for hours and left it in auto 4h entire trip up. We’ll see on longevity but this will get wheeled and see a lot of miles. I have no expectations that it will cause an issue.

Foxblade

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Ordering), 1969 Mini
Occupation
Military
how is your order coming along? im still on schedule to receive delivery March 29th.
Mine was delivered to the Dealer ship mid January.. Built 11JAN... I'm expecting to go and pick up at the dealership around the same date as you.. Still out of country at the moment.. Excited.. just bummed that the sport all has painted flares this years..

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Mine was delivered to the Dealer ship mid January.. Built 11JAN... I'm expecting to go and pick up at the dealership around the same date as you.. Still out of country at the moment.. Excited.. just bummed that the sport all has painted flares this years..
ypu can easily diy a satin wrap on fenders

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Hay congrats, I’m hoping mine is delivered on time, I’m also still out of country, the flairs you might be able to trade, sell or as thesolarwisard said wrap em.
Where about you picking yours up? I’ll be in Cali next.

Foxblade

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Ordering), 1969 Mini
Occupation
Military
Hay congrats, I’m hoping mine is delivered on time, I’m also still out of country, the flairs you might be able to trade, sell or as thesolarwisard said wrap em.
Where about you picking yours up? I’ll be in Cali next.
I thought either trade, paint or wrap.. We shall see.. I'm picking up in DC, coming from Spain.. Fun times..

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Pumpkin Orange
dammit another feature I miss out on for buying early :facepalm:
I heard good dealerships will do the upgrade to Rock-Trac Full Time for around 4k,. I'm seriously thinking about it. I can't find my pumpkin orange in 2021, so I'm sticking with my baby

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
I heard good dealerships will do the upgrade to Rock-Trac Full Time for around 4k,. I'm seriously thinking about it. I can't find my pumpkin orange in 2021, so I'm sticking with my baby
I've driven through 2 winters now in Minnesota and for $4k to do the conversion (Select-Trac full time in my case) wouldn't be worth it. I'd rather wait for a Torsen LSD to be available at this point.

Sponsored

EuMen77

First Name
Eugenio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Can I select the 4:1 Rock-Trac Full Time 4WD System on a new 2021 JLUR with the 3.6L engine with 6 speed manual transmission?

I seems I can only add it if I change engine and opt for the 8 speed Automatic???

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
Did you know that the Jeep is one of the only 2 now I think vehicles that you can easily flat tow behind an RV?

NOT IF YOU GET THE GUCCI NEW JUNK AWD, the old school dealers are stiill ordering the old school real 4x4 not the AWD because they said they know A: if they have Jeeps they get stuck with people dont want to spend the extra money unless its a Gucci Soccer mom who is too lazy or dumb to understand 4x4 and when to use it or B: when warrantys expire even though they make money in the service department they know from expericence that the AWD systems are more expensive to own in the long run as they have sensors etc and pissed off customers dont buy more cars from you

back to the original question in post 1, the guy is a real off roader- you asked and answered your own question in your post.

If my 392 came with the option there is no way I would have got AWD, just for the torque steer alone on had acclelration. Its not a Porsche, Benz, BMW, the Americans have always been able to make lots of ponies and shit that doesnt break easily but a combo of the two done WELL is not within a Jeeps sticker price

YET

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Can I select the 4:1 Rock-Trac Full Time 4WD System on a new 2021 JLUR with the 3.6L engine with 6 speed manual transmission?

I seems I can only add it if I change engine and opt for the 8 speed Automatic???
That was the case when I looked into it. I’m not about to give up the 6-speed manual for AWD.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Did you know that the Jeep is one of the only 2 now I think vehicles that you can easily flat tow behind an RV?

NOT IF YOU GET THE GUCCI NEW JUNK AWD, the old school dealers are stiill ordering the old school real 4x4 not the AWD because they said they know A: if they have Jeeps they get stuck with people dont want to spend the extra money unless its a Gucci Soccer mom who is too lazy or dumb to understand 4x4 and when to use it or B: when warrantys expire even though they make money in the service department they know from expericence that the AWD systems are more expensive to own in the long run as they have sensors etc and pissed off customers dont buy more cars from you

back to the original question in post 1, the guy is a real off roader- you asked and answered your own question in your post.

If my 392 came with the option there is no way I would have got AWD, just for the torque steer alone on had acclelration. Its not a Porsche, Benz, BMW, the Americans have always been able to make lots of ponies and shit that doesnt break easily but a combo of the two done WELL is not within a Jeeps sticker price

YET
Are you sure? The new system still has true mechanical neutral does it not?

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800

YET
Verbal diarrhea at it's finest.

There's nothing wrong with getting a Jeep with the AWD package. Just like there was nothing wrong with getting the old Silverado SS with the full-time AWD. You just need to understand the design and use cases for it. Not for you? No problem. Doesn't mean it isn't great for someone else.

What got you so upset?
Sponsored