Sponsored

4:1 Rock-Trac Full Time 4WD System

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
Anybody know of either of the AWD t-case options (either the 2.73 or 4:1) engage the front axle with a solid connection or do they just tighten up the FWD clutch pack to make it act like it’s locked into 4wd?

The reason I ask is the 2.73:1 tcase appears to be shared with the grand cherokee (appears to be the MP 3022?) and my understanding is that one can only fully lock in low range.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The Ford equivalent BW 4405 definitely does NOT lock in 4Hi, it's disconcerting when the loud BANG comes from the case area when the clutch overloads on a turn.

[/QUOTE]
Anybody know of either of the AWD t-case options (either the 2.73 or 4:1) engage the front axle with a solid connection or do they just tighten up the FWD clutch pack to make it act like it’s locked into 4wd?

The reason I ask is the 2.73:1 tcase appears to be shared with the grand cherokee (appears to be the MP 3022?) and my understanding is that one can only fully lock in low range.

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
so I am still searching for more information on the Rock-trac full time t-case. from what I have gathered so far my current assumptions (based on things I have found and its hard) I have come to the following conclusions about this option:

1) Selectable 2h, 4w full time, 4w lo, 4w hi part time
2) when in 4w full time uses a clutch type system to allow transfer of torque between front and rear just like AWD
3) when in 4w lo or 4w hi part time, engaged with chain and gear for a true lock, keeping with the rubicon trim and sought after true locking t-case
4) with the ability of 4w full time (AWD) the front axle joints will come with CV joints instead of the U-joints.
5) this system has been available on EU jeep models for some time now, finally bringing it to the US.
6) the fact that it is highly probable it will have CV joints does not bother me, I planned to swap to the RCV chromoly axles anyway regardless of U or CV. and coming from a Tacoma, IFS and CV joints, doing stupid stuff with that truck, I only ever once tore a boot.

I have been trying to confirm this 100% through jeep, however they are hesitant to reply since I currently do not have a VIN, due to the fact its on order through military auto source and has not been scheduled for build due to requested delivery of March.

my conclusion, if the above information is accurate, I will add this to my build order, having the ability to go from 2hi to 4w full time is beneficial to me in rain and snow covered roads, with ability to still get 4whi part time with a truly locked case for off road use.

appreciate any feed back.

jasunto

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Technical Implementation Engineer
Said you had one on order then it isn't finalized...so not on order, lol.

Anyway - Comes from the Wrangler, just starting in 2021 for the Gladiator.

The 4:1 Rubicon case has a larger chain and 4:1 crawl ratio, where the stock (sport and other models) one is 2:73 irrc. The auto 4H just comes on if your wheels start to slip. Since all JTs and all wranglers can just be manually pulled into 4H while moving this feature basically just does it for you.

4H, or 4L, isn't pavement friendly. Needs slippage or wide turns.
WTF? I assumed getting a Rubicon I was getting the same
Things I had in my JKUR. Really messed up that Jeep did that for 2020.

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Said you had one on order then it isn't finalized...so not on order, lol.

Anyway - Comes from the Wrangler, just starting in 2021 for the Gladiator.

The 4:1 Rubicon case has a larger chain and 4:1 crawl ratio, where the stock (sport and other models) one is 2:73 irrc. The auto 4H just comes on if your wheels start to slip. Since all JTs and all wranglers can just be manually pulled into 4H while moving this feature basically just does it for you.

4H, or 4L, isn't pavement friendly. Needs slippage or wide turns.
LOL, it is on order with deposit, build has not started due to delivery date. ordered through military auto source lol. I can change the order up to the day before building.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
so my initial assumptions about gear selection was accurate, can select 2H, 4H Auto (like all wheel drive), 4H part time and 4L part time.
Still waiting on confirmation of engagement, is it all clutch/viscus or a combination of chain, planetary gear and clutch/viscus.
looking at the mopar website on diagram breakdown for the Rock-Trac Full Time 4WD, it does show a clutch, chain and planetary gear system.
seems like the best of both worlds depending on where you live and road conditions throughout the year.

transfer case.jpg

jasunto

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Technical Implementation Engineer
Checked my 2020 window sticker, says the following below, so fake news or not? Tazer Shows 4.00 for 4 lo

4:1 Rock–Trac® Heavy–Duty Part–Time 4WD System

Foxblade

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Ordering), 1969 Mini
Occupation
Military
Ordering through MAS as well.. I'm underwhelmed with their Service and being able to finalize order. I've also planned for a March Delivery, took 2 months to finalize order after they have bankers draft in hand. I have VIN now, but still in scheduling.. How is your ordering going?

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Ordering through MAS as well.. I'm underwhelmed with their Service and being able to finalize order. I've also planned for a March Delivery, took 2 months to finalize order after they have bankers draft in hand. I have VIN now, but still in scheduling.. How is your ordering going?
Order is good, waiting for jeep. MAS has been good where I am at and flexible (3 full changes on gladiator) finally done monkeying around. I’m now only waiting for jeep to accept order and give vin, looking to get it in a week or so. The process has been smooth aside from my changing it lol.

Foxblade

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Ordering), 1969 Mini
Occupation
Military
Envious... My MAS rep was a bit aloof.. as well as Jeep being a bit difficult to get the orders in. It's taken so long, just to get vin issued I've requested one final change, to Nacho Orange, vice Snazzberry... Either color is good, but I think orange is more fun. Good luck !

Sponsored

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
Your wife grocery getter is what this option is for. Any off-road and no way you would want that.

I can only guess the long term maintenance cost vs old school 4wd

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Envious... My MAS rep was a bit aloof.. as well as Jeep being a bit difficult to get the orders in. It's taken so long, just to get vin issued I've requested one final change, to Nacho Orange, vice Snazzberry... Either color is good, but I think orange is more fun. Good luck !
Nice on the color, I settled on granite as the gobi is no longer availabl. Granite was one color i could tolerate lol

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Your wife grocery getter is what this option is for. Any off-road and no way you would want that.

I can only guess the long term maintenance cost vs old school 4wd
Having driven an 200 series off road, the center differential is outstanding when cruising switchbacks on loose terrain or when you're going back and forth between grippy and loose so I can definitely understand their benefit. They are durable as hell in that application but if this new Jeep unit is like the old Selec-Trac I'm not sure I'd have the same faith.

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on 2023 Gladiator Diesel (long story)
Occupation
Flight Dispatcher / Aircraft Maintenance Engineer /
Anyone know if you can change transfer cases? As in putting a Rock Trac into a diesel?

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
how is your order coming along? im still on schedule to receive delivery March 29th.
Sponsored