First Name
Deniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Gladiator Overland 4x4
Occupation
enigineer
My '65 J2600 Gladiator was converted by the PO (MikeD) with a '69 Wagoneer Buick 350 married to a '69 TH400 3L80 out of his '69 Waggy. My 350 threw a rod and has a hole in the block, so a replacement engine is needed. I'm having some difficulty locating a good/running/reasonably priced replacement Buick 350 for my truck so I'm expanding my search.

Since my Gladiator's engine/drivetrain is not original anyway and I'm not in the market for a replacement 327/T18A that was original to the truck (although I do love the T18A), I'm thinking any other BOPC engine should couple right up to my good tranny - right? Such an engine might require some new mounts, etc to do the swap, and the good heads, intake and other odds and ends from my broken engine would likely not be compatible.

I suppose I should also consider a swap of a more modern engine, with TBI or even newer with MPFI if a swap could be made and still keep costs down - ah the hassles of being a cheapskate - and use my tranny.

I'm open to any recommendations as to the most economical conversion, using my tranny?

Thanks.

And one more question.

My all trac needs new rotors.. should I go ahead and get them resurfaced if they have enough "meat" left on them?

usually how long do resurfaced rotors last? are their any drawbacks? what can you say about this page?

should I just go with new oem rotors?
Sponsored

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Take a look at the GM LS engines. They are long-lasting, powerful, lightweight, strong, reliable, and can be purchased for pretty cheap, and OEM parts & performance parts are everywhere and also very cheap (inexpensive).

GM even sells standalone ECM's for them to be swapped into older vehicles that are non-computerized. Just about every older vehicle in the world can be LS-swapped. Someone somewhere in the world makes motor mounts and swap-brackets for just about every application for putting an LS engine into something that was never designed to have one.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Back then,, bellhousing patterns varied with the GM company. Buick, Olds, and Pontiac mostly have the same pattern, but the starter might not be on the same side.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you get that in-depth, running a few starter wires and cables ain't the end of the world.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Well if your staying BOP, I love the pontiac 400 engines. Mild cam and Edlebrock heads. Install EFI and that would be a stump pulling, mean sounding ride, I would love to own

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Not all automatic trans bell housing areas have starter pockets on both sides, that is what I was getting at. His issue will be fining something, anything, in England that will easily fit. Check the engine weights too; I think Buick and Olds 350 are more compact and light in weight than Pontiac, for example. Pontiac is also weird in that #1 cylinder, left front, is #2 on the crankshaft. That engine series has the left bank behind the right bank.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I know this will show how dumb I am but I say Hellcat whenever someone speaks of engine recommendations. Car, truck, go cart, motorcycle, lawn mower, horse.
I just rock back and forth mumbling Hellcat over and over.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not all automatic trans bell housing areas have starter pockets on both sides, that is what I was getting at. His issue will be fining something, anything, in England that will easily fit. Check the engine weights too; I think Buick and Olds 350 are more compact and light in weight than Pontiac, for example. Pontiac is also weird in that #1 cylinder, left front, is #2 on the crankshaft. That engine series has the left bank behind the right bank.
Hell, there's people in Japan putting them in JDM cars, and I've seen a few on the internet from parts of jungle-Asia with LS motors in them... They're like the HPV of engines...They're everywhere, most folks have one, but nobody can figure out how it got there... :CWL: :LOL::CWL:

That was a joke, for all you people born without a funny-bone...

On a serious note, I love the LS engines, and have since they introduced the LS1 in 1997. :like: The ONLY reason I would consider a 6.4 Hemi over an LS7 swap in my JTR is because of the backwards compatibly of brand-specific connections. Mopar-to-Mopar vs. running Mopar-to-GM... Even though an LS swap USED to be significantly (and still can be) cheaper, but as new as my JTR is, I'd opt for a brand new crate SRT 6.4 Hemi and trans to go in mine. Either way you're going to spend $15K in parts alone...Another $10K to pay someone else to do the hard part.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Inline 6, be it gas or diesel is your choice.

Pull anything forever.

Also may find one that matches your tranny.....

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Being on that side of the pond, I'm gonna get shot for this, have you considered an OM617LA swap?

You can get a transmission adapter plate for the T18 and a 617 can be made to go nearly everywhere.

http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/category_s/1831.htm

With the right injector setup you can get ~250hp and ~200lb-ft with an RPM range that will allow you to comfortable cruise at highway speeds without excessive regearing.

Of the evil OM606 cranked up a few hundred horse.
Sponsored