Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Your engine is warming the ambient air directly around the sensor as it sits. Once you start moving and get it fresh air it adjusts.
Not in my case - I get in, start it, note the seats and wheel aren't heating and look and the temp is 40-some degrees on the readout, and it's in the 30s. It's not from the engine, it's an artifact from the day before, or something. It happens to me even when I do not do a remote start. Mine used to sit outside in the cold.

Most of the people I've seen complain about it in the past also say "heated seats didn't come on because the temp reading was wrong". So it can't be engine heat - those things would have come on right away as the truck is started, before the engine temp rose and warmed the air.
Sponsored

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Your engine is warming the ambient air directly around the sensor as it sits. Once you start moving and get it fresh air it adjusts.
Guaranteed thats not what is happening in my case. Otherwise the jeep would start with all the heaters on and it wouldn't turn them off till it was warmed up, the jeep is no where near warmed up when I get in it. Like I mentioned, my jeep sits outside and since this problem started the air temp hasn't been over 30 at any point in the day, and as low as single digits overnight. One night I had the block heater plugged in and it didn't mess up, another night it did. Last night I didn't plug it in, was approx 18 degrees and the temp read in the 40's. Im baffled

UncleChanBlake

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport
Occupation
Education
anybody else notice their exterior air temp reading incorrectly?

i've had it happen twice now.......i remote start my jeep and when i get it the exterior temp reading is at least 25 degrees off.

first time it happened.....a couple days ago in the afternoon around 2 p.m. actual outside air temp was 25 degrees. i had remote started my jeep from the office (ran for approx 5 minutes) and when i got it the the seat and steering wheel heaters weren't on and the blower wasn't blowing on high speed. i noticed the exterior temp display said 53 degrees. after i started driving the temp reading changed to the correct air temp of 25 degree. didn't think much about it.....figured it had something to do with the sun actually shinning that day and warming the sensor (where ever it is) or some other abnormal thing.

this morning 7 a.m., i remote started my car from the house, again had been running about 5 minutes when i got in it. outside air temp was actually about 18 degrees, neither the seat or steering wheel heaters were on and blower was not blowing high speed. interior was still ice cold and windows had barely begun to defrost. sun was barely up so there was no way the outside air temp sensor could have been manipulated by it. again after driving down the road a little ways it started reading correctly but obviously by then i'm already in a cold car driving down the road which defeats the purpose.

obviously not a dire problem, just frustrating being that its a 65k vehicle. it should be able to read air temp correctly and initiate the correct warming functions/sequence.

i rarely have good experiences at the dealer so i have no desire to have them try to trouble shoot it. wondering if any of you have noticed similar and if so, did you figure out what was causing it or was it something the dealer was able to easily diagnose and remedy?
First world problem. 🤣😂🤣😂

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Sensor is affected by engine temp. Normally reading oat but sun can affect it. If left to sit after running excess engine heat can affect it.

Most accurate when moving. But sun can still affect it.

It's a jeep, not a weather station. It's supposed to be close. Generally.

When they built the thing they were more interested in it being good off road than making the temp sensor absolutely perfect under all circumstances.

As far as it being 60k, understand that the 20k vehicles have the same sensor. 60k is mostly an irrelevant argument.

As I said, the design spec did not include being a perfect temp sensor.

If you get stuck in a ditch, you probably should be upset that you're 60k off road vehicle sucks off road.

If while in the ditch the temp sensor says 60 and it's actually 64, well, maybe you might want to adjust your thinking.

Your dealer isn't going to do anything to help this issue.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
First world problem. 🤣😂🤣😂
Uh, really? Bashing a guy for asking? And this DOES impact other functions. You try getting your ass out into a 18 degree vehicle where the heated seats and wheel won't work as intended because the temp reading is off. You pay for those features - and they won't work when the damn thing says it's 45 out and it's really in the teens. You do a remote start expecting the seats and wheel to be a bit warmed up. The rear window and mirror defrost won't even work when it acts like his is doing.
This is the sort of response that keeps others from even asking questions - being told their issues aren't important.
So you come just to mock?
Maybe your HVAC will stop working and features you paid for will stop working so you can experience some frustration.
Good god, why can't people just try to help or answer instead of making people feel like idiots for even asking?

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Sensor is affected by engine temp. Normally reading oat but sun can affect it. If left to sit after running excess engine heat can affect it.

When they built the thing they were more interested in it being good off road than making the temp sensor absolutely perfect under all circumstances.

As far as it being 60k, understand that the 20k vehicles have the same sensor. 60k is mostly an irrelevant argument.

If you get stuck in a ditch, you probably should be upset that you're 60k off road vehicle sucks off road.

If while in the ditch the temp sensor says 60 and it's actually 64, well, maybe you might want to adjust your thinking.

Really.......you don't think spending 65k on a vehicle doesn't come with expectations that things should work right? That's nuts! We aren't talking about a few degrees,

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

See my prior post - so this is a pile-on? This is a real issue that PREVENTS FEATURES FROM WORKING!
So if the reading is not correct, or not close, he won't have the heated seats, heated wheel or rear window and mirror defrost come on when he starts it. That's not an issue?

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have the same issue in my Gladiator - remote start when temps below 40 and no heated seats or defrost. I also have a 2019 Wrangler JLU - it does NOT have this issue - it can be warm the prior day when I drive it, and below 40 the next morning and the heat comes on. The JL and JT are supposed to be very similar vehicles so I would expect things to work the same. Mine is going to go to the shop soon - check engine line has come on twice now for the vapor sensor, and I did get the 'check your gas cap' message on the dash one day - the cap has been on tight and proper each time.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
See my prior post - so this is a pile-on? This is a real issue that PREVENTS FEATURES FROM WORKING!
So if the reading is not correct, or not close, he won't have the heated seats, heated wheel or rear window and mirror defrost come on when he starts it. That's not an issue?
Actually, the seats not turning on is a legit issue. I think they are supposed to turn on around 35 or 40?

So here is the thing. If you drive for an hour and then park and the engine is HOT, and go in to a place for 30 mins, and remote start, and it reads high as the engine heat is affecting the sensor, what can you do?

That is a sensor placement issue id think.

If you let it sit all night and the vehicle is cold soaked and it still is so far off that it won't turn on the seats Id be bugged too.

I don't think mine does this but I could be wrong.

My point was that it likely ain't perfect as they aren't focused on this specific thing.

But if the sensor is reading 30 and your seats are still not turning on. I'd say they should fix that.

Pardon me guys, long day, long night and a few scotches.

Sponsored

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
I have the same issue in my Gladiator - remote start when temps below 40 and no heated seats or defrost. I also have a 2019 Wrangler JLU - it does NOT have this issue - it can be warm the prior day when I drive it, and below 40 the next morning and the heat comes on. The JL and JT are supposed to be very similar vehicles so I would expect things to work the same. Mine is going to go to the shop soon - check engine line has come on twice now for the vapor sensor, and I did get the 'check your gas cap' message on the dash one day - the cap has been on tight and proper each time.
Let us know if they came up with something!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, the seats not turning on is a legit issue. I think they are supposed to turn on around 35 or 40?

So here is the thing. If you drive for an hour and then park and the engine is HOT, and go in to a place for 30 mins, and remote start, and it reads high as the engine heat is affecting the sensor, what can you do?

That is a sensor placement issue id think.

If you let it sit all night and the vehicle is cold soaked and it still is so far off that it won't turn on the seats Id be bugged too.

I don't think mine does this but I could be wrong.

My point was that it likely ain't perfect as they aren't focused on this specific thing.

But if the sensor is reading 30 and your seats are still not turning on. I'd say they should fix that.

Pardon me guys, long day, long night and a few scotches.
RIGHT - but when the TEMP READING says 45 or 50 they WILL NOT come on.
You guys bashing him are totally missing the point!
When it reads like his does, those things WILL NOT FUNCTION as designed. So it's not a "I want an accurate temp reading because I'm picky" thing. Wow.

Back up and start over-
he's saying the truck is outside.
He gets in and starts it and it reads way too warm.
This means when he starts it the seats and wheel heat and window defrost will NOT come on like they should and you have to manually turn them on.
Remote start, same thing - you get into a cold truck.
If he does a remote start and expects things to be warmed up, they will not be because of the malfunction he's pointing to.
He's not asking for an accurate to the degree or even two degree reading! Where the hell did that come from? 10 degrees off is not just "a little off". These are pretty damned accurate most of the time.

It's NOT ENGINE HEAT
It's not a warm garage - it sits outside like mine did.

It should NOT do that even if it's been running a while. MINE DOES NOT.
These are VERY accurate most of the time. My wife and I have compared our readings when we take both vehicles out at the same time - and we check our PHONES for the local current temp. Usually they are within a couple of degrees of each other and/or the phone.

>>If you let it sit all night and the vehicle is cold soaked and it still is so far off that it won't turn on the seats Id be bugged too.<<

AND THAT IS WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MINE MORE THAN ONCE - but not always.

There is no reason for the reading to be that far off - and if or when it is, then your heated seats and wheel and mirror defrost DO NOT COME ON.

So mock him for asking, call it a freakin' mocking "first world problem" but it IS a problem and it's REAL and it's been talked about before. This isn't a new complaint.

That trolling with "first world problem" wow.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have had the temp thing happen with mine as well - temp reading says it's 45 or 50 for example, it's actually in the 30s and I get in and those seats and wheel are COLD and I have Raynaud's and rely on that heated steering wheel when it's in the 30s or lower.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Does not happen to mine.

If it is actually cold soaked and not been running in a while, I agree.

The only legit argument I'd have is if the engine heat or a heated garage was affecting it.

The dealer won't move the sensor of try to improve a design that is not perfect.

They will replace a faulty sensor.

Fair enough.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
There is a setting in UConnect when to have three heated seats come on if temperature dictates. Mine is set for remote start, but others may have it set for anytime.

Vehicles Equipped With Remote Start
On models that are equipped with remote start,
the heated steering wheel can be programmed
to come on during a remote start.
This feature can be programmed through the
Uconnect system. Refer to “Uconnect Settings”
in “Multimedia” for further information.
Sponsored