Sponsored

Factory All-Weathers v. the Mud tires

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
Not envisioning a lot of off-roading, certainly no rocks. Just occasional trails, 'seasonal roads,' and lotsa snow on the main paved roads. Was going with the factory All-Weathers (plus a spare) for now.

I'm thinking I can always upgrade later to different aftermarket tires, both larger and with a different tread set-up.

Probably this has been asked 100 times already ... Just wanted to get some input on the factory All-Weathers v. the Mud tires.

I test-drove a Rubicon with the mudder tires and wasn't impressed. As it turned out they were over-inflated, but the sales guy seemed clueless.
Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
What's the question?

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
Occupation
Retired AF
From what you described, stay away from Mud Terrain tires. Will not provide the all around performance that it sounds like you want. Wildpeak AT take offs from Rubicons might suit you well.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Unless you are mudding or serious off roading go with the AT. They do great off-road too just not in super loose stuff where the mud tire cleans and paddles thru stuff. It sounds like you prefer softroad vs off-road so go AT

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Could save the money and skip the Rubicon all together since you don't need any of it's features

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I just got a set of rubi takeoffs with the wildpeak AT tires today. They have a more aggressive look than my overland stock tires, only did a quick test drive after putting them on but they feel good. The mud tires are cool but if your looking at a daily driver style with occasional trail work the all terrain tires will probably make more sense for your use. The pictures don't give the wildpeak AT justice and once they are on the gladiator they look better than they do in the bed.

Part of why I got these was due to my concerns of the stock overland tires in the snow as the gladiator is my daily driver. These tires remind me of a little more aggressive stock tire on my JK (bfg wranglers) which did great on snow and handled trails without concern.

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely the all weather. The mud terrain are great for mud but that's about it. Getting into snow you want the mud tires would clean out but the knobs are generally harder and with very little sipes limiting traction on ice and snow covered surfaces. The factory widepeaks would be great all around tire.

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Just wanted to get some input on the factory All-Weathers v. the Mud tires.........
but the sales guy seemed clueless.
You said it wrong. It's "but the sales guy IS clueless". Haha In my experience sales can't answer anything without either looking it up or unless it's numbers.

Anyways, as mentioned above I'd skip the rubicon all together and put the savings into building up a Sport S to your liking. As for tire selection, mud tires are for mud....they sing loud on the pavement, and it sounds like that's where you'll be more often than not. Go with the A/T.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great advice. Thanks for the comments.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Falken's A/T3W (All-Terrain, Wear/Winter/Wet) is a fantastic tire that was developed during a period when winter/AT hybrid tires were getting popular. I ran one of the first sets in P285/70-17 back in early 2016 when they first came out. Granted, the P-metric version has a different silica compound than the LT-version and it is therefore better for foul weather, but I would suspect that the LT-version Jeep is using would still be a great tire in the snow.

When I found out Jeep was going to use that tire as factory equipment, I was like WHOA!

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falken's A/T3W (All-Terrain, Wear/Winter/Wet) is a fantastic tire that was developed during a period when winter/AT hybrid tires were getting popular. I ran one of the first sets in P285/70-17 back in early 2016 when they first came out. Granted, the P-metric version has a different silica compound than the LT-version and it is therefore better for foul weather, but I would suspect that the LT-version Jeep is using would still be a great tire in the snow.
When I found out Jeep was going to use that tire as factory equipment, I was like WHOA!
Good to know, because my sales guy told me the AT tires on the Rubicon trim (if you didn't want the Mudders) were Bridgestones.

Did Jeep do a last-minute switch to Falken ATs from the early 'concept' Gladiator?

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Good to know, because my sales guy told me the AT tires on the Rubicon trim (if you didn't want the Mudders) were Bridgestones.

Did Jeep do a last-minute switch to Falken ATs from the early 'concept' Gladiator?
They went Fallen on the Gladiator because BFG had it's hands full with the Wrangler demand.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester

Refer to your first post. "Clueless" :LOL:
Sponsored