Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Except nothing you do can change the legal payload and towing limits, and you will get ticketed and have liability in the case of an accident if you are over capacity.
Yeah I was going to say the same. There are definitely things you can do to increase your practical hauling/towing capacity. No doubt about it. But legally you're always stuck with the GVWR that is stamped on your truck from the factory, which is the thing that makes the Max Tow package such a big deal for guys who are looking to actually haul and tow, and unfortunately that's not offered with the diesel engine.
Sponsored

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on 2023 Gladiator Diesel (long story)
Occupation
Flight Dispatcher / Aircraft Maintenance Engineer /
Thanks so much for the real-world review. Now, if Jeep would just put the full-time 4WD systems in with the diesel, my new vehicle decision would be made.
In Canada we can order the diesel gladiator with the full time 4wd system.

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In Canada we can order the diesel gladiator with the full time 4wd system.
Dealer got back to me this morning. He was wrong...No Rock Track with the diesel. Sorry about that all. Not to pleased about that, I was just about to order too.

Back to the fence!

No rock trac and the dismal payload re really bumming me out on the gladiator diesel. I wouldn't mind the 3.6 but once you go with 37's you have to re-gear and tow a gas station.

What a P.I.T.A.!!!

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
Dealer got back to me this morning. He was wrong...No Rock Track with the diesel. Sorry about that all. Not to pleased about that, I was just about to order too.

Back to the fence!

No rock trac and the dismal payload re really bumming me out on the gladiator diesel. I wouldn't mind the 3.6 but once you go with 37's you have to re-gear and tow a gas station.

What a P.I.T.A.!!!
Have you driven a Gladiator with 37"s? All this talk about "you have to re-gear" when going to 37s are coming from people who have never driven a Gladiator on 37s.

Here is the deal, on my Rubicon when stock I was getting an average of 18mpg (city/highway).

On 37s and a mild spacer lift I am averaging 16mpg (city/highway).

4.10 gears paired with the new 8 speed transmission makes driving on 37s tolerable. I still see 8th gear on the highways. I live in NC so not too hilly but not flat either.

The key is to reprogram the the Gladiator's system for 37s. I used the Tazer Mini.

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
Has anyone noticed the stop start feature works sometimes and not others?? I know I can feather the brake (or lightly press on the pedal) while coming to a complete stop and stop start won't engage..............but, sometimes it doesn't matter what I do and it won't engage, weird.
This is the first vehicle I've owned with stop start, so maybe it works likes this normally?? Anyway, I don't like it and wish it wasn't on the Glad.

Sponsored

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Have you driven a Gladiator with 37"s? All this talk about "you have to re-gear" when going to 37s are coming from people who have never driven a Gladiator on 37s.

Here is the deal, on my Rubicon when stock I was getting an average of 18mpg (city/highway).

On 37s and a mild spacer lift I am averaging 16mpg (city/highway).

4.10 gears paired with the new 8 speed transmission makes driving on 37s tolerable. I still see 8th gear on the highways. I live in NC so not too hilly but not flat either.

The key is to reprogram the the Gladiator's system for 37s. I used the Tazer Mini.
Nope, I have not driven a Gladiator with 37's. In fact, i haven't seen many Gladiators near me at all! I wish I could make a Gladiator friend and spend some time with it. An hour at the dealer, really doesn't work.

Good to know I don't need to re-gar. I was worried about that. With the winters we have here in Nova Scotia, the Rock-Trac is a huge deal. So much easier just to leave in it full-time, rather than shift it back and forth. My only fear is that i travel to see my brother in Kelowna B.C three(3) to four(4) times a year. I have no double the gas will make it through the mountains, but I am sure I could make fewer stops in the diesel. I wonder what the distance is per tank for both the gas and the diesel...

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
Jeepguy, I took delivery of my Rubi Diesel two weeks ago and my first 500 were flawless. Been raining in FL tropical storm level and no leaks, apple car and the rest work perfect.

I did a Teraflex. leveling kit, 35x12.50's and 1.25 inch wheel spacers which made the footprint wider and better on the highway.

The biggest difference was the pedal commander, if you like your eco now, add a pedal commander and I assure you that you will think you bought a hemi diesel. I can't even turn it all the way up to full sport plus mode its too much. touch of the pedal and fuel dumps, turbos engage and its off. Night and day over stock. I can't say I am watching or care about fuel economy but it says 17.9 all city laying in to the pedal pretty hard and my speedo was never re-calibrated after the larger tires so its really better than that.

You can always adjust the commander on the app on your phone back to stock to get the 30mpg but not nearly as fun to drive.

So far very happy, had a launch gasser with edge pulsar and 30 extra ponies and two don't even compare.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Jeepguy, I took delivery of my Rubi Diesel two weeks ago and my first 500 were flawless. Been raining in FL tropical storm level and no leaks, apple car and the rest work perfect.

I did a Teraflex. leveling kit, 35x12.50's and 1.25 inch wheel spacers which made the footprint wider and better on the highway.

The biggest difference was the pedal commander, if you like your eco now, add a pedal commander and I assure you that you will think you bought a hemi diesel. I can't even turn it all the way up to full sport plus mode its too much. touch of the pedal and fuel dumps, turbos engage and its off. Night and day over stock. I can't say I am watching or care about fuel economy but it says 17.9 all city laying in to the pedal pretty hard and my speedo was never re-calibrated after the larger tires so its really better than that.

You can always adjust the commander on the app on your phone back to stock to get the 30mpg but not nearly as fun to drive.

So far very happy, had a launch gasser with edge pulsar and 30 extra ponies and two don't even compare.
I did not know they made them for the ECO Glady! Good To know. Would be great to see what you really get once you adjust the tires etc., Thanks for the update,

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
Pedal Commander for all Gladiators is PC78. Pedal Commander sells it on Amazon. Its on sale right now.

pedal commanders follow the make and model not what motor

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I measured from caliper mounting bolt to caliper mounting bolt on the rear axle of my Sport S Max Tow, and on a Willys Ecodiesel and found the ED was in fact 1.5" narrower. I actually had the salesman laying on the ground with me...LOL

It really didn't matter where I took the measurement from, as long as it was the same place on both vehicles. I was only interested in the difference.
This is fantastic information. It proves that unless the window sticker specifically lists "wide-track" axles then you didn't get them, even if you have the diesel engine.

Very interesting. And good info! Thanks!

P.S. for those wondering, 0.75" is about 18 millimeters so if you have the standard width axles and stock wheels, you can install aftermarket wheels with +26mm offset and achieve the same effect as a "wide-track" axle, or I guess you could install spacers. But frankly, I doubt that 0.75" per side makes a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things.

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Bought the pedal commander for my diesel.. seems to load up when I stomp on it at a dead stop.. when trying to beat cross traffic.. other than that it is fun the rest of the time

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
All of the diesels get the exact same axles regardless of trim level. They are the wide track axles just like under a Max tow or a Rubicon which means they also have the heavier duty 32 spline axle shafts. As noted the only difference with the diesel is that you get a 3.73 ratio.

This is also why the towing capacity is pretty much the same across the board with the diesel engine whereas if you get the gas engine the towing ratings change drastically between trim levels.
And were do you get this info cause im really tied up right now,i wanna be 1000 Percent sure if a jeep JT sport s eco diesel has the same axles as a rubicon with the exception of lockers of course,cause im heavily thinking about trading mine in for a sport s diesel since i do plan on building it of course

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares Hey what are the axle specs for a jeep gladiator sport s eco diesel cause i want to know if they are the same widetrack axles a Rubicon with the exception of lockers since i want to trade in my rubicon JT for a sport s diesel in sting gray :D

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
My diesel overland doesn’t have the small lip on the fender flares which denotes the wide axles. Window sticker also doesn’t say wide track axles. No I’d say no, all diesels don’t have the wide axles.
Sponsored