Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
You’re supposed to change the oil?
Once a year whether it needs it or not!

Or get an old landrover. All you have to do is change the filter regularly because the oil consumption is so high (I get about 400-500 miles per quart) that there is no point - except maybe the aforementioned once a year whether it needs it or not. I never worry about shavings because nothing in old landrovers are close tolerance 😁

I speak from experience too - have put 150K miles on a 2003 LR discovery. One of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. It reliably needs about $4K a year in preventative maintenance ...

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Once a year whether it needs it or not!

Or get an old landrover. All you have to do is change the filter regularly because the oil consumption is so high (I get about 400-500 miles per quart) that there is no point - except maybe the aforementioned once a year whether it needs it or not. I never worry about shavings because nothing in old landrovers are close tolerance 😁

I speak from experience too - have put 150K miles on a 2003 LR discovery. One of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. It reliably needs about $4K a year in preventative maintenance ...
I sold a 2001 disco and replaced it with the gladiator. Working on the Rover every weekend got old after a while, and I didn't really trust it on long trips with the family. The gladiator doesn't have anywhere near the style points, but is such a better vehicle in every other way.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dad uses a top side vac every other oil change. He thinks that is a happy medium. Quick and easy. Probably not as good as doing a "real" oil change every time, but better than only doing it every 10k miles like the manufacturer recommends.

One other item that makes things super easy the old fashioned way is something called a Fumoto Valve. Google it. and if you are interested buy it ONLY from the company website. There are tons of Chinese knock offs floating around. You want the real Japanese one.
Sponsored

Last edited: