Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, Jeep wave appears to be automatic shortly after you take delivers (2 or 3 weeks perhaps?)
4 oil changes and 4 tire rotations. Similar to how my Chevy was done for a while.
If you drive enough to NEED the oil changes, fine, if not, use them anyway.
The thing about dealerships is that they are supposed to be factory trained and certified. Supposed to be - and better than the old Sears or KMart or Walmart service centers or Duke of Oil and those fast lube places. They hire ANYONE who knows what a car looks like.
And if they mess up at a dealership, it's their screw-up and you can force a fix. Duke Of Oil and those like Grease Monkey and such - I won't trust them with an old beat up rusted out Yugo.
The wave means you get dollars worth of oil and filters for free - and THEY dispose of the oil - otherwise I hope you like the hassle of disposal. (for me it's a trip into town with a jug of used oil.....but after wave, I'll do it since I have my own fully-equipped shop with enough stuff to take a car down to the frame, restore it totally engine, transmission, differential and glass)
First oil change shouldn't need to be really different although I never take the first to the max because there will be a bit more in the filter and the oil due to the microscopic high spots wearing off of bearings, rings, timing chain and sprockets (come one folks when there's a chain it's SPROCKETS, NOT GEARS)
YES, they use the best modern oils - many use Mobil 1 - there's no such thing as break-in oil - it's called that these days because DUH, it's the oil in the engine during break-in otherwise it's the same bloody oil.
No need to reduce the first down to 1,000 miles or less. That's silly these days. Maybe back in the 1940s or prior, but not since the 1970s for sure. I've build many engines and done hundreds of oil changes on newer and old vehicles...... people need to drop the old wive's tales about oil and break-in and such. IF any of it ever DID apply, it won't now.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Hey @JeepCares I am wondering if Jeep put a long lasting synthetic oil in my Gladiator. Did you? Am almost at 3000 miles and am wondering if a lower grade of oil was used that would get me to only 3000 miles or if I should be good to go up to say 5,000 or to 8,000 or to 10,000 miles or if I should just wait until I get a warning light on my truck? Planning to make a 7 hour trip early next month and then another 7 hours for the return. And I would hate to have that light pop up in the middle of my trip.

I tried to sign up for the Jeep Wave program that my dealership told me about but the system is frozen and will not send me a password reset. So I canā€™t even find out if there is a cost associated with that program
and if there is then exactly what is the cost and what are the benefits. They told me they think thereā€™s a couple of free oil changes but I bet I get that only if I have committed to a long term Jeep Wave contract that I donā€™t know how much it costs.

So I would appreciate it if you would elaborate on that and tell me what it costs and what I get for that costs. And do I some other way get a free first oil change? And at what mileage should I do that? Thanks to advise.
Let me chime in here and tell you what I believe to be correct...

1. As you can see from my oil analysis the oil tested as a 0W-20 oil which is a synthetic oil so I'm sure Jeep put in a quality oil. I have been to 3 different car factories and in all three the oil used in the engine plant is the same oil that the manufacturer recommends. In our case this is Pennzoil, I believe, which is a very good synthetic oil. Most car companies have some sort of branding agreement with various suppliers that in exchange for them recommending their product the supplier agrees to either give the product to them for use in the manufacturing process or sells it to them at a very reduced price.

2. The choice of when to change your oil has been discussed here quite a bit. You will not void the warranty if you wait until your change oil light comes on although some of us (including me) prefer to not wait that long. You will typically go about 7500 +/- miles before the light comes on.

3. The Jeep Wave Program, which is free to the original purchaser of the vehicle, provides 4 free oil changes and 4 free tire rotations during the first 24 months of ownership. So if you think about it you should probably get your oil changes every 6 months regardless of the mileage provided you have not exceeded the OCI as determined by your truck's computer..

4. I don't know why your account is frozen out...

EDIT- Sorry I didn't see all the other responses first...

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Jeep Wave is 3 oil changes, I believe. We just did our first oil change yesterday at 4500 miles.
Thanks for the info. I checked the link that @Mkcagle sent me and I now see that I automatically got signed up to the program when I bought my truck.

Jake, Every new Jeep come with 4 oil Changes and tire rotations for a 2 year period and other benefits. Try enrolling again and have your VIN handy.

https://www.jeep.com/jeep-wave.html
Thanks much. I went on the site and again tried to sign on. And now it finally transmitted my request for sign on/password assistance. Now have a wait for an email from Jeep to arrive so I can then get into the system.

Yes, Jeep wave appears to be automatic shortly after you take delivers (2 or 3 weeks perhaps?)
4 oil changes and 4 tire rotations. Similar to how my Chevy was done for a while.
If you drive enough to NEED the oil changes, fine, if not, use them anyway.
The thing about dealerships is that they are supposed to be factory trained and certified. Supposed to be - and better than the old Sears or KMart or Walmart service centers or Duke of Oil and those fast lube places. They hire ANYONE who knows what a car looks like.
And if they mess up at a dealership, it's their screw-up and you can force a fix. Duke Of Oil and those like Grease Monkey and such - I won't trust them with an old beat up rusted out Yugo.
The wave means you get dollars worth of oil and filters for free - and THEY dispose of the oil - otherwise I hope you like the hassle of disposal. (for me it's a trip into town with a jug of used oil.....but after wave, I'll do it since I have my own fully-equipped shop with enough stuff to take a car down to the frame, restore it totally engine, transmission, differential and glass)
First oil change shouldn't need to be really different although I never take the first to the max because there will be a bit more in the filter and the oil due to the microscopic high spots wearing off of bearings, rings, timing chain and sprockets (come one folks when there's a chain it's SPROCKETS, NOT GEARS)
YES, they use the best modern oils - many use Mobil 1 - there's no such thing as break-in oil - it's called that these days because DUH, it's the oil in the engine during break-in otherwise it's the same bloody oil.
No need to reduce the first down to 1,000 miles or less. That's silly these days. Maybe back in the 1940s or prior, but not since the 1970s for sure. I've build many engines and done hundreds of oil changes on newer and old vehicles...... people need to drop the old wive's tales about oil and break-in and such. IF any of it ever DID apply, it won't now.
Too damn funny. I now have a good mental picture of what your workshop looks like. And that would be a proper shop run by a guy that can run circles around any so called ā€œmechanicā€ at Wally World.

Hey @JeepCares still missing your reply to my original message about this.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Let me chime in here and tell you what I believe to be correct...

1. As you can see from my oil analysis the oil tested as a 0W-20 oil which is a synthetic oil so I'm sure Jeep put in a quality oil. I have been to 3 different car factories and in all three the oil used in the engine plant is the same oil that the manufacturer recommends. In our case this is Pennzoil, I believe, which is a very good synthetic oil. Most car companies have some sort of branding agreement with various suppliers that in exchange for them recommending their product the supplier agrees to either give the product to them for use in the manufacturing process or sells it to them at a very reduced price.

2. The choice of when to change your oil has been discussed here quite a bit. You will not void the warranty if you wait until your change oil light comes on although some of us (including me) prefer to not wait that long. You will typically go about 7500 +/- miles before the light comes on.

3. The Jeep Wave Program, which is free to the original purchaser of the vehicle, provides 4 free oil changes and 4 free tire rotations during the first 24 months of ownership. So if you think about it you should probably get your oil changes every 6 months regardless of the mileage provided you have not exceeded the OCI as determined by your truck's computer..

4. I don't know why your account is frozen out...

EDIT- Sorry I didn't see all the other responses first...
Hey @smlobx thanks for your comments as well. I really want to see the reply comments from @JeepCares confirming what type of oil they put into my truck when they built it. Hopefully they put a good, quality synthetic oil in and not some cheap oil that will not last long. Thatā€™s also why I asked them to confirm about when I should get my first oil change. I always get synthetic oil put in as it gives me the best protection for my ride. And I usually will do this about every 5,000 or 6,000 miles. And from reading posts about this matter in this thread it sounds like my truck will be able to go 8,000 to maybe even 10,000 miles. Makes me feel great that I chose to buy a Gladiator instead of a Yugo. I chose wisely
1B6E0509-937B-4240-8CDD-C704235100DC.jpeg

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
smlobx did pretty well in his write-up. I'd not change a thing he said.

LOL - I do have trophies......... I set a state record for Plymouth trouble shooting contest in the 70s that was never broken, and had my own shop at age 16 - yeah, I'm old.
My shop is currently a mess because my Eagle SX4 is covered up for the winter and taking up a stall, I have another Eagle SX4 gutted for interior restoration and am rewiring the engine bay, etc. and I just got boxes and boxes of NOS (new old stock) small parts, including trim and body clips, electrical system connectors and pigtails and other stuff from a guy who gave up the AMC Eagle business due to age and health issues.

I've used synthetic oil in my SX4's 4.0 liter since I built it. I go 3 to 5k between changes, typically 3K, because I don't put enough miles on it these days and like to do at least seasonal changes of oil - spring and fall, prevent acids from sitting over the winter and cold weather of winter leads to even more build-ups of crud in there, thus the spring change after I drive it a while.

Pennzoil - not the best, there are many above it in wear protection but still in the outstanding class with a couple of their oils. Not a bad oil but there are others certainly better. Anything over 90,000 psi wear protection is really good, but some rank up there well over 100,000 psi. Depending on how you abuse your engine, this oil would do very very well -

92. 0W20 Pennzoil Platinum, Pure Plus Technology, made from Natural Gas, API SN, synthetic
(silver bottle with blue vertical stripe on the label) = 92,504 psi

Sorry, Jeep, I am pretty much decided I won't use the 0w20 oil once the free wave stuff is done. It's simply what the "engineers" are saying for the CAFE MPG ratings. It's not the BEST protection, it's "ok" but there's a whole lot of oils, dozens of them far better.

Here's a quote from the guy who abuses - er, tests, oils.......

Virtually any engine that calls for 5W20, can also safely use 5W30. In fact, many engines that call for 5W20 are happier, and make less mechanical noise with 5W30.
(my comment about that: - this has been established via multiple means - including sump oil temperature comparisons of various oils in the SAME engine under the same conditions - the thin oils are for MPG but THICK oils run HOTTER than 5w30)

5W30 is really the optimum motor oil viscosity overall, for most water-cooled gasoline engines, including High HP engines. Any viscosity thinner than 5W30, is thinner than optimum. And any viscosity thicker than 5W30 is thicker than optimum.

As you can see from these actual Engineering test values, all the 5W30 oils provide better wear protection than any of the 0W oils. But even so, any of these oils would be acceptable for normal daily driver use. However, for highly loaded High Performance applications where the best possible wear protection is desired, the obvious choice would be 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra, API SM or 5W30 Mobil 1, API SN, which are the only oils in this test that provide INCREDIBLE wear protection.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @smlobx thanks for your comments as well. I really want to see the reply comments from @JeepCares confirming what type of oil they put into my truck when they built it. Hopefully they put a good, quality synthetic oil in and not some cheap oil that will not last long. Thatā€™s also why I asked them to confirm about when I should get my first oil change. I always get synthetic oil put in as it gives me the best protection for my ride. And I usually will do this about every 5,000 or 6,000 miles. And from reading posts about this matter in this thread it sounds like my truck will be able to go 8,000 to maybe even 10,000 miles. Makes me feel great that I chose to buy a Gladiator instead of a Yugo. I chose wisely
1B6E0509-937B-4240-8CDD-C704235100DC.jpeg

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

I follow his test results. I use oils from the top of his list - at least 100,000 psi ratings, I never have used any additives, I don't follow the BS out there about cam break-in and all that nonsense. I build them, I follow DANA/PerfectCircle's ring break-in procedure (which takes all of about 5 or 10 minutes) and then drive the bloody thing. I've to this day, after 45 years of engine work, never lost one.

Rav34653

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Vehicle Showcase
So just to be clear is it correct that the SAE 0W-20 that's comes in the Gladiator is a synthetic oil ?
And because it is a synthetic FCA recomends the first oil change may go as long as 10,000 miles.
Does anyone know the Brand of the origin oil that comes with an new Gladiator?

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Again adding @JeepCares for their comments to your post and for the questions posed by me earlier.

So just to be clear is it correct that the SAE 0W-20 that's comes in the Gladiator is a synthetic oil ?
And because it is a synthetic FCA recomends the first oil change may go as long as 10,000 miles.
Does anyone know the Brand of the origin oil that comes with an new Gladiator?

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hey @JeepCares I am wondering if Jeep put a long lasting synthetic oil in my Gladiator. Did you? Am almost at 3000 miles and am wondering if a lower grade of oil was used that would get me to only 3000 miles or if I should be good to go up to say 5,000 or to 8,000 or to 10,000 miles or if I should just wait until I get a warning light on my truck? Planning to make a 7 hour trip early next month and then another 7 hours for the return. And I would hate to have that light pop up in the middle of my trip.

I tried to sign up for the Jeep Wave program that my dealership told me about but the system is frozen and will not send me a password reset. So I canā€™t even find out if there is a cost associated with that program
and if there is then exactly what is the cost and what are the benefits. They told me they think thereā€™s a couple of free oil changes but I bet I get that only if I have committed to a long term Jeep Wave contract that I donā€™t know how much it costs.

So I would appreciate it if you would elaborate on that and tell me what it costs and what I get for that costs. And do I some other way get a free first oil change? And at what mileage should I do that? Thanks to advise.
Hi Jake,
I see your fellow forum members have been helpful in explaining the Jeep Wave program. If you still have any remaining questions, please take a look at the link below which discusses the benefits provided as well as provides you with a number to contact our Jeep Wave team.
https://www.jeep.com/jeep-wave.html
We recommend following your Owner's Manual for Servicing and Maintenance. This info can be found on page 306 at the following link: https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...eep/2020/Gladiator/P110460_20_JT_OM_EN_US.pdf.
Per page 315 of your Owner's Manual, your engine oil is Mopar SAE 0W-20.
Alex
JeepCares

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Thanks Alex @JeepCares. I already have that phone number. Made a screen shot of that when I was trying to log on and had to send in a request for assistance with getting logged on. Got a note that I would get an email with assistance to log on. Still waiting for that email over 4 hours later. Please send me a PM to help with that.

Hey @Rav34653 sounds like itā€™s a Mopar brand of oil as Alex advises.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Thanks Alex @JeepCares. I already have that phone number. Made a screen shot of that when I was trying to log on and had to send in a request for assistance with getting logged on. Got a note that I would get an email with assistance to log on. Still waiting for that email over 4 hours later. Please send me a PM to help with that.

Hey @Rav34653 sounds like itā€™s a Mopar brand of oil as Alex advises.
Hi Jake,
The Jeep Wave team would be in the best position to assist you getting your account set up! Please call 844-JEEP-WAVE(533-7928).
Alex
JeepCares

Rav34653

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Vehicle Showcase
Simple question ! Are the jeep Gladiator's shipped out with Synthetic oil in the 3.6 Penastar engine

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Simple question ! Are the jeep Gladiator's shipped out with Synthetic oil in the 3.6 Penastar engine
Simple answer - yes.