Sponsored

First weekend with Sport S manual transmission and 3300 lb travel trailer

veblenesque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave manual, 2021 Sport S manual (sold)
Wanted to share my notes from towing a big trailer with the base manual.

First, the combination of gearing and engine performance isn't ideal for towing. I found myself only using 3rd and 4th gear, and the pentastar seems tuned for horsepower and not torque. It's fun without a trailer, but not ideal for towing. I was able to keep a steady freeway speed, but had to alternate between 3rd and 4th. Never made it into 5th.

I took off Friday with a steady 20 mph headwind and spent all of the trip in 3rd gear at 60-65 mph (3,500 rpm) and got 7.4 mpg. My return trip with no wind was 90% in 4th at 65-70 (2500ish rpm). Truck was very solid and even in the wind I didn't feel unsteady.

Also, used the Curt wireless brake controller, which performed great. Highly recommend.

My main takeaway is that I should consider modifying the gearing at some point. I love the manual and wouldn't trade for the automatic even after towing. Although the trailer pushes the 4k limit on the Sport, other than engine power and gearing it felt fine.

Also, that's a Little Guy Max trailer.

little guy max.jpg
Sponsored

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
Wanted to share my notes from towing a big trailer with the base manual.

First, the combination of gearing and engine performance isn't ideal for towing. I found myself only using 3rd and 4th gear, and the pentastar seems tuned for horsepower and not torque. It's fun without a trailer, but not ideal for towing. I was able to keep a steady freeway speed, but had to alternate between 3rd and 4th. Never made it into 5th.

I took off Friday with a steady 20 mph headwind and spent all of the trip in 3rd gear at 60-65 mph (3,500 rpm) and got 7.4 mpg. My return trip with no wind was 90% in 4th at 65-70 (2500ish rpm). Truck was very solid and even in the wind I didn't feel unsteady.

Also, used the Curt wireless brake controller, which performed great. Highly recommend.

My main takeaway is that I should consider modifying the gearing at some point. I love the manual and wouldn't trade for the automatic even after towing. Although the trailer pushes the 4k limit on the Sport, other than engine power and gearing it felt fine.

Also, that's a Little Guy Max trailer.

Jeep Gladiator First weekend with Sport S manual transmission and 3300 lb travel trailer little guy max
What gear ratio do you currently have?

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I've had a similar good experience while towing with the sport 6MT and curt controller. I agree and think a regear will be beneficial, I plan on 4.56

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I've had a similar good experience while towing with the sport 6MT and curt controller. I agree and think a regear will be beneficial, I plan on 4.56
It's nice that gearing can be sorted out pretty easily, but Jeep could ship these things correctly in the first place. 4.56 (or even 4.88) should just come on these.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
It's nice that gearing can be sorted out pretty easily, but Jeep could ship these things correctly in the first place. 4.56 (or even 4.88) should just come on these.
Correctly for who? Not everyone will run 35s (my rational) or tows everyday.

If you buy a rubicon with the 285/70/17 its geared at 4.10 which seems pretty on the spot.

I think Jeep has done an awesome job of giving the people what they want and the aftermarket allows us to do pretty much whatever we want after.

If you think the JT should come with a mopar 2" lift, 35's, and mopar 4.88s installed you can have it all done at the dealer before taking delivery 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
veblenesque

veblenesque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave manual, 2021 Sport S manual (sold)
So you would do a 4.56 swap with 33s for towing? Am I looking at $1,500 to $2,000 to get this done?

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Correctly for who? Not everyone will run 35s (my rational) or tows everyday.

If you buy a rubicon with the 285/70/17 its geared at 4.10 which seems pretty on the spot.

I think Jeep has done an awesome job of giving the people what they want and the aftermarket allows us to do pretty much whatever we want after.

If you think the JT should come with a mopar 2" lift, 35's, and mopar 4.88s installed you can have it all done at the dealer before taking delivery 🤷‍♂️
I suppose actual data would be cool (and honestly, I don't know): what percentage of owners plans to replace the OE tires with a stock size, particularly among the enthusiast oriented 6spd buyers?
I think Toyota spec'd the Tacoma better with their MT option. Both engines have very similar torque curves, weight, 4th-6th trans ratios, and base tire size. The Tacoma gets 4.30 gears right out of the gate.

Sponsored

Deleted member 30519

How does better gearing work with a manual transmission? I can picture it in my head on how it would feel with automatic but not a stick. Would it make 1st and 2nd gear longer or shorter or the same? I havnt been a fan of how short 2nd gear is on my JT. So say I got 5:13s with my 35" tires. What whould change with my gear ratios in those gears if anything at all? I have a 40 minute commute to work and I never really need to shift to 4th except this one stretch for about 45 seconds. I'm in 3rd pretty much 90% of the time from 1800rpm to 3krpm.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
The $2,000 range installed is what I would expect. I think that ratio is reasonable, especially if you tow a lot. Here's a couple of charts to give you a visual:

https://prodigyperformance.com/blog/jeep-wrangler-gear-ratio-calculator/

1615141493571.png
How does better gearing work with a manual transmission? I can picture it in my head on how it would feel with automatic but not a stick. Would it make 1st and 2nd gear longer or shorter or the same? I havnt been a fan of how short 2nd gear is on my JT. So say I got 5:13s with my 35" tires. What whould change with my gear ratios in those gears if anything at all? I have a 40 minute commute to work and I never really need to shift to 4th except this one stretch for about 45 seconds. I'm in 3rd pretty much 90% of the time from 1800rpm to 3krpm.
You'd likely be using higher gears on your commute, and might find yourself taking off from (all but) a stop in 2nd.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I suppose actual data would be cool (and honestly, I don't know): what percentage of owners plans to replace the OE tires with a stock size, particularly among the enthusiast oriented 6spd buyers?
I think Toyota spec'd the Tacoma better with their MT option. Both engines have very similar torque curves, weight, 4th-6th trans ratios, and base tire size. The Tacoma gets 4.30 gears right out of the gate.
That's interesting about the Toyota. Would the trim that has that gear ratio be more comparable to a Rubicon or do they all get that?

The point I was trying to make was that the factory specd the trucks for the equipment they had not for the anticipated Jeep geek that wants to build a Sport for their specific needs.

4.56 is what I anticipate being right for me with 35s at my altitude and towing needs. Its going to be different for everyone. The awesome part is that the aftermarket supports just about any idea and you can come up with. Jeep allows you save money on a generic sport up front to spend on how you want it to be or just enjoy what it is.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Gear shifts will be shorter and you will use need a higher gear sooner at the same speed. Right now I'm using 5th gear at 70mph. After a regear I'll be spinning higher rpms at the same speed allowing for a higher gear to be used.

Hopefully that makes sense. Maybe someone more technical can explain it better

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
BTW, I think 5.13 is too much gear for 35s.
Sponsored