First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I have a brand new Blue Ox Avail tow bar system to tow my Gladiator and I know Blue Ox says do not back up with the tow bar attached. I’m sure this is to prevent damage to the locking pins. In the real world, what do you do? I’m sure there are instances where if you just backed up 3 feet you could make that turn!
Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If you have not towed before you need to do some research. Id get on the IRV Forums and talk to folks. I have towed many variations of Jeep over the years (and other vehicles). If you are in a straight line you may be able to back up 2-3' but normally much more will cause the towed vehicle to turn its wheels and then your messed up. In 10 years of towing a jeep behind the RV it caused a problem once at a gas station. Since then i plan my stops better and do some looking before just pulling up to a pump. If its an issue I unhitch the jeep and move it. Mine only takes 2 minutes to hitch or unhitch so its not the end of the world.

There is alot of info on the RV forum about this.

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
If you have not towed before you need to do some research. Id get on the IRV Forums and talk to folks. I have towed many variations of Jeep over the years (and other vehicles). If you are in a straight line you may be able to back up 2-3' but normally much more will cause the towed vehicle to turn its wheels and then your messed up. In 10 years of towing a jeep behind the RV it caused a problem once at a gas station. Since then i plan my stops better and do some looking before just pulling up to a pump. If its an issue I unhitch the jeep and move it. Mine only takes 2 minutes to hitch or unhitch so its not the end of the world.

There is alot of info on the RV forum about this.
Thanks, that’s what I thought. I’ve been towing for fifty years. Flat towing was different back then. Tow bars are much more sophisticated than they were back then. I’ve towed everything from 4 to 45’ over the years. I too know how to plan in advance.

Phineus1941

First Name
Carmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
2 to 3 feet is a stretch, and most likely will not have a good outcome, a few inches unless the weight of the towed vehicle is pulling (such as backing down a grade) is about all you will get

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
2 to 3 feet is a stretch, and most likely will not have a good outcome, a few inches unless the weight of the towed vehicle is pulling (such as backing down a grade) is about all you will get
Can you be more specific? Will it damage the tow bar? Or just get the towed vehicle out of shape... leading to damage?

Sponsored

Phineus1941

First Name
Carmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I got into a campground in Canada where they assured me I could make the turn at the end of the park and perhaps I could have if there wasn't a person parked at the exit of the turn. I started backing up and as soon as the wheels started to turn on the jeep the knuckle on the tow bar started to push up coming very close to damaging the pin housing that locks the bars in place when not in use. I wish I could show you a picture of it. I ended up unhooking and then when I got parked, I had to adjust the tow bar angle, luckily I had heavy enough wrenches to loosen the bolts on it

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I got into a campground in Canada where they assured me I could make the turn at the end of the park and perhaps I could have if there wasn't a person parked at the exit of the turn. I started backing up and as soon as the wheels started to turn on the jeep the knuckle on the tow bar started to push up coming very close to damaging the pin housing that locks the bars in place when not in use. I wish I could show you a picture of it. I ended up unhooking and then when I got parked, I had to adjust the tow bar angle, luckily I had heavy enough wrenches to loosen the bolts on it

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I thank you again. I will heed your advice!

jrlandrum

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
I have a brand new Blue Ox Avail tow bar system to tow my Gladiator and I know Blue Ox says do not back up with the tow bar attached. I’m sure this is to prevent damage to the locking pins. In the real world, what do you do? I’m sure there are instances where if you just backed up 3 feet you could make that turn!
I have backed up a couple of feet. Watch your front jeep tires very careful and do not let them get in the wrong direction. Once they head that way. Stop backing!! You will get things bent and broke after that point!!

Redbaron73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler rubicon
The problem with backing up is the front wheels turn the wrong way and begin to plow.

I have been successful with a passenger help to guide it, and 2 way radios. We did this only as a proof of concept and learning experience. It is not practical at all.

When backing up, watch your toad in the RV's camera. A straight line is ok for unlimited distance. The moment it becomes no longer straight--STOP. Do not go any further. Once the wheels turn, they can go very hard to the opposite direction and act as a brake. That is when damage will occur to the weakest link. Every vehicle is different where that weakest link is. Sometimes its the tow bar arms, sometimes the connection, sometimes a component on the toad. Regardless...DO NOT attempt without someone watching the toad to ensure the wheels remain perfectly straight.

MarkN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
I had to back up a couple feet at the gas pumps and bent the right arm on my towbar just enough that it doesn’t retract all the way now. On a trip back east a couple years ago I got in some tight places. I got pretty good at disconnecting, moving, then reconnecting. It sucked, but not $1000 worth.

Mark
Sponsored