Sponsored

Flat towing

RCJesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler
I previously towed my 2000 Wrangler behind my RV. Now I want to tow my gladiator.
With my Wrangler, I used a Roadmaster Breakmaster (which I plan to use on the gladiator), never ran a charge line to the battery, never had a problem.
Will I need a charge line for the gladiator battery? Do I leave the ignition off or in Accs? Will the steering wheel lock?
Anything else I should do/know?
Thanks in advance to all.
Sponsored

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The one question i can answer is, the Gladiator steering does not lock. Same as the Wranglers.

OP
OP

RCJesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler
The one question i can answer is, the Gladiator steering does not lock. Same as the Wranglers.
I've heard that before about the wranglers, my 2000 did lock. I wonder if that's something they started on the newer ones...

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I've heard that before about the wranglers, my 2000 did lock. I wonder if that's something they started on the newer ones...
Very possibly started with the JK's. But I can't imagine the CJ's did either. What I've read says Jeep didn't lock the steering because the Wranglers were/are a primary vehicle used as a flat tow behind RV's. Makes sense to me. We are wanting to buy a Wrangler for beating around off road in and I was considering using a tow dolly to pull it behind the JT or just setting it up for flat towing.

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Arborist
20221218_113554.jpg
20221218_113616.jpg

I flat tow my Gladiator at times. The steering wheel doesn't lock. Ignition in the off position. Transfer case in neutral and transmission in park. There is a step by step procedure in the owners manual for doing transfer case and tranny

Sponsored

Gramps.busa

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I’ve read that you’re ok for a couple days towing. After that they suggest a battery charge system. IGN off, 12v from RV.

Butch-R-Vols

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland 3.0 Diesel, 2011 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
I used to tow a 2011 Honda CRV behind our motorhome and the battery would die after about 4 hours. (common in CRV's then). There is a trickle charge line already on the 7 pin female end of the coach. used that line to your battery and I've not had any more problems. Now we flat tow our '21 Gladiator. Hook her up, put the transmission in park and the transfer case in neutral and you're good to go. Have fun!! Use the same line from the coach to keep the battery charged.

Prescottmojave

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired
Very possibly started with the JK's. But I can't imagine the CJ's did either. What I've read says Jeep didn't lock the steering because the Wranglers were/are a primary vehicle used as a flat tow behind RV's. Makes sense to me. We are wanting to buy a Wrangler for beating around off road in and I was considering using a tow dolly to pull it behind the JT or just setting it up for flat towing.
Do not use a tow dolly. Either flat tow or flatbed trailer. It's explained in the manual.

Dakotaz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales

1990 YJ has a locking steering wheel as well. I had the steering wheel off for some reason and cut the pin with a dremel. Not sure of any of the other models.

OP
OP

RCJesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Gladiator Flat towing 20221218_113616
Jeep Gladiator Flat towing 20221218_113616

I flat tow my Gladiator at times. The steering wheel doesn't lock. Ignition in the off position. Transfer case in neutral and transmission in park. There is a step by step procedure in the owners manual for doing transfer case and tranny
Thank you and nice looking Gladiator!

Sponsored

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
Thank you, from checking it out.
Along drive it killed my battery, depends on the health of the battery, but it happened. I have a backup plug-in charger for the heck of it, but that setup from cool llc keeps me topped off.

Jeep Gladiator Flat towing 8FDF3408-5D61-47AF-B585-B5B46ABD4228

Last edited:
OP
OP

RCJesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler
min a long drive it killed my battery, depends on the health of the battery, but it happened. I have a backup plug-in charger for the heck of it, but that setup from cool llc keeps me topped off.

Jeep Gladiator Flat towing 8FDF3408-5D61-47AF-B585-B5B46ABD4228
I towed it last week, four hours each way and it was fine. But I gather from what I've read so far that on longer trips I'll need to find a solution to keep it charged.

Nice setup!
Sponsored