Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Does anyone here have direct experience eith locker up front and lsd in the rear? Eaton has me thinking, but I wonder if it would be a waste to just not do both. Then again it's costly to do both...
Not in my JT, but that's how I roll in my YJ. Started with Truetracs F/R running Rubicon numerous times and part of Fordyce during Winter Funfest with some fancy footwork. When I built up my front D44, I decided to install an Elocker since I was running with guys that were rolling on 37s and 40s. Traction was obviously improved and so was the steering. The thing I like most about this setup is that the Trutrac in the rear works daily as I drive around town where a selectable locker would just be open in these situations.
Sponsored

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
Does anyone here have direct experience eith locker up front and lsd in the rear? Eaton has me thinking, but I wonder if it would be a waste to just not do both. Then again it's costly to do both...
I run Eaton lockers in my LJ. Worked great, no problems

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Jeep JK
Occupation
Education
if you had to have only one. What would it be front or rear lockers? And why?
Ultimately I think it depends on what you want to do. Before I had my gladiator, I owned a JK. No lockers, but it had the LSD. With a 2.5" lift and 34" tires, I was able to do quite alot. No extreme boulder crawling, but with some forethought, I was able to do the trails that I was willing to do - lockers or not. The Brake Lock Differential system did a pretty good job as long as I was not hanging tires in the air! I considered adding lockers but once I got a good set of tires, clearance, and trail driving experience, it seemed to be much more capable to the point of not needing them. The LSD was also great to have in the winter on snowy roads, something low range/lockers would be less practical for in street driving around town.

So that's why I bought the Mojave when I got the Gladiator. Rear locker is going to be enough for me and the type of trails I am going to be doing. Rear locked in 4-high with off-road+ activated!! Plus I liked the other bits that came with the package.

Most of the guidance I have seen from folks on this topic always starts with determining your individual needs. Everyone has different ideas of what they want to do with their rig and where they want it to take them.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OP, are you planning on installing only one locker or one for now adding another later and will it be selectable?

Jorgeperezjr

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I have a Willys and have the setup of a front locker and rear LSD. I planned to install both but the rear axle seal leak paused the rear. Did the Badlands Jamboree trail 4-6 rating. Everyone around me had 35-37 inch tires with lockers and I kept up with everyone, never was detained. I felt it was a significant capability improvement from just having the LSD.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
OP, are you planning on installing only one locker or one for now adding another later and will it be selectable?
I am getting it re geared to 5.13s. I understand while I’m in there it’s best and cheapest to do both but my budget is one only. Instead of doing both I’m using that money for a good set of sliders.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would go with a selectable front if I could have only one. I would also pull the cushions off the couch and look in every astray for coins to do the rear while you are doing gears.

OP
OP

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
I am getting it re geared to 5.13s. I understand while I’m in there it’s best and cheapest to do both but my budget is one only. Instead of doing both I’m using that money for a good set of sliders.
I have a Willys and have the setup of a front locker and rear LSD. I planned to install both but the rear axle seal leak paused the rear. Did the Badlands Jamboree trail 4-6 rating. Everyone around me had 35-37 inch tires with lockers and I kept up with everyone, never was detained. I felt it was a significant capability improvement from just having the LSD.
Problem is I don’t have the lsd. So I’m guessing rear locker might be a good idea?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes some people on this forum do, I have a locker in front axle and Trac-Loc in rear on my XJ. I've got no regrets on installing a Trac-Loc in rear and locker in front axle, when I re-geared it to 4:56. I had to buy a new carrier's for the D44 and the D30 high pinion going from 3:55.

Sponsored

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yes some people on this forum do, I have a locker in front axle and Trac-Loc in rear on my XJ. I've got no regrets on installing a Trac-Loc in rear and locker in front axle, when I re-geared it to 4:56. I had to buy a new carrier's for the D44 and the D30 high pinion going from 3:55.
I take it you've never found yourself in need of the rear locker? I'm pretty new to this stuff, but so far hardest trail I've done was fins(hardest line whenever available). I honestly felt like nothing there was challenging with just the lsd. Also havnt been able to lift a tire yet though.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I take it you've never found yourself in need of the rear locker? I'm pretty new to this stuff, but so far hardest trail I've done was fins(hardest line whenever available). I honestly felt like nothing there was challenging with just the lsd. Also havnt been able to lift a tire yet though.
A rear locker would be great many times but it worked well on the trails I used it on..... at the time.

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Did it on my Willys JKU by swapping in a Rubi front axle and it did it on my Willys JT via Eaton E-Locker. For me, it works great. I especially like having the LSD in the rear of the truck due to it being lighter out back.

Unless you are regearing at the same time, I have no qualms doing the front then waiting to see if it’s ever necessary to do the rear.

Shadowmaker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer
Rear locker. It is hard to turn the tank when the front is locked as mentioned before.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A interesting thing is "Matt" as in Matt's Off-road recovery he runs a locker in front axle and limited slip in rear of his recovery vehicles. 🤔
In the servicing of of the Morvair he pointed that out on the episode on installing a boom on his new project heavy wrecker.
Sponsored