Sponsored

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Sale

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had one on my jku with the lever pointing down since I had the rock hard skid plate with oil plug door. Worked great.

For my gladiator, I'm going to try a pump.
The pump is super convenient, but doesn't get all the oil out. Its not a big deal if you change it regularly, but my dad has come up with a good compromise process.

He's always changed his own oil but at 80 yrs old isn't interested in getting on his back anymore.

So he brings his truck in for an oil change every 10,000 miles and does changes with the pump at 5000 in between the other oil changes. That means he only has to bring it in about once per year.

Not that it matters really. The guy who changes his oil maintains his race car and is a good friend. So my dad brings a jug of Mobil-1 and a filter and some bagels and cream cheese over and the guy lets him use the lift and doesn't charge him. ha.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Whatever works for each person, IMO the 3.6 in the JK,JL and JT couldn't be any easier to get to plus the drain plug has a built in rubber gasket so it reseals without issue, it also seems to be a very thick steel bung so unlikely to strip out.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
The pump is super convenient, but doesn't get all the oil out. Its not a big deal if you change it regularly, but my dad has come up with a good compromise process.
Yeah, my goal is to get most of it out with the pump and then pull the plug for the last little bit.

I'll have to see how much comes out and see if I still want to go that route after I try it out.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, my goal is to get most of it out with the pump and then pull the plug for the last little bit.

I'll have to see how much comes out and see if I still want to go that route after I try it out.
I wouldn't even bother pulling the plug every time.

Its funny. A friend of mine has a go-fast boat and the motors are like 30k each. He changes the oil with a pump every time because he can't even reach the drain plug. Ha. So I guess it works.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Let me just say, that installation is wrong.

Why would someone install a valve with the handle down so it can snag on anything?
With me being from the piping world, the valve handle goes on top or on one of the sides, NEVER on the bottom.

With the handle on top, everything is protected by the pan. Although this person elected for the long nipple on the discharge side which does extend it below the pan.
Maybe that was the final position when it was fully tightened?

Sponsored

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I like using the femco valves over the fumoto. I've used them on both my Cummins (450k and 350k miles) and they make changing the oil truly no mess no burn, if your drain pane hole isn't plugged..... they open as you screw the drain hose on so no way to accidently drain out the crankcase. I've never used the fumoto system so I am ignorant of its features but I like the femco and will be adding it to the glad

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Resurrecting this old thread -since it's already on the subject - to ask if the consensus is I should use Telfon tape (carefully of course), blue thread locker, or nothing when installing the Fumoto on my JT?

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Resurrecting this old thread -since it's already on the subject - to ask if the consensus is I should use Telfon tape (carefully of course), blue thread locker, or nothing when installing the Fumoto on my JT?
I did not use tape on my install. Just made sure to use the included blue washer.

BRMoose

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
PM
Tape is for taper pipe threads, seal washer for straight threads with a machined bearing surface

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2020 Ram 2500, 2013 JKU
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
If anything, use a little black rtv on the threads. Iā€™ve done this for every vehicle, Harley, and other motors with oil drain plugs for years. Only have to snug the bolt and wonā€™t ā€œpullā€ the threads. Some of those rides have over 100k on them no issues

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I did not use tape on my install. Just made sure to use the included blue washer.
Fumoto valve just arrived today and yes, it has the blue washer. Ok, I'll just use that and cinch it down moderately, not King Kong crazy like a teenager at a discount oil change place!
Sponsored