Sponsored

Gas cans

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
OK have a question I can't seem to find alot about. I see tons of JK/JL/JT's with gas cans on racks and other places. See mostly plastic cans. My question is more on actual use and not for the guys who drive around with no gas in them. Next summer I plan to spend about 2 weeks in MOAB and Grand Canyon. I am taking our tiny camper and my Honda EU2000 for the AC when needed. My issue is gas. I have a tonneau cover on the JT and plan to store some stuff below it. I am bringing 1 metal gallon can of sealed non E gas for emergencies but would like to have 5 gallons of gas in the JT for use in the generator. I thought about metal cans but no vent and not sure in the 100' sun that would be a good idea. Plastic will work but same issues I would think. So does anyone actually haul gas in their cans and more importantly in that kinda of environment ?
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK have a question I can't seem to find alot about. I see tons of JK/JL/JT's with gas cans on racks and other places. See mostly plastic cans. My question is more on actual use and not for the guys who drive around with no gas in them. Next summer I plan to spend about 2 weeks in MOAB and Grand Canyon. I am taking our tiny camper and my Honda EU2000 for the AC when needed. My issue is gas. I have a tonneau cover on the JT and plan to store some stuff below it. I am bringing 1 metal gallon can of sealed non E gas for emergencies but would like to have 5 gallons of gas in the JT for use in the generator. I thought about metal cans but no vent and not sure in the 100' sun that would be a good idea. Plastic will work but same issues I would think. So does anyone actually haul gas in their cans and more importantly in that kinda of environment ?
I have a couple of marine 6 gallon cans and a conversion gas cap for my EU2000. It makes carrying fuel and running the generator super easy with no need to pour fuel into the generator. The vapor pressure of Gasoline at normal summer temps is about 10 psi. So no matter what can you use, its going to pressurize. The alternative which is venting the gas continually is worse than the problem.

If you don't like the marine tank idea, my dad has a number of these that he uses for his race car. They sit in the sun all weekend fully pressurized and never a problem.

I hope this helps.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/803304/10002/-1

OP
OP

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks. I have the marine setup for use with our Motorhome but dont have the room to bring it all on this trip with just the JT and teardrop. I looked at the jugs like you linked as I also have one for home. The issue is its too tall to sit under the cover and really dont want it inside the trailer. I can always grab a couple 2.5 gallon cans... I'll keep digging.

Ben06

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 02 TJ
Occupation
Agricultural Automation
I have a full 5 gal jerry can in the back of mine under the cover all summer long. It gets crazy hot under that black cover. The cans are made to handle the pressure of gas vapor. Plastic will "expand" a bit but they won't explode.

Ben06

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 02 TJ
Occupation
Agricultural Automation
I also saw a mount for the 5 gal jerry cans somewhere on here that puts it along the side of the bed behind the wheel well. Looked pretty slick.

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
On my last trip we did 320 miles offroad on the AZ strip. I took 20 extra gallons and it was just enough. This was in a two door JK and I mounted some can mounts between the front wheel and front doors. I then carried two plastic cans in the back. They have the mounts for the JL so I’m guessing they’ll fit the JT.
https://www.morryde.com/products/jl-side-mount-w-universal-tray-driver-side/
Jeep Gladiator Gas cans DBF2849B-B323-4A02-86E7-CACD4EBB8D64

On my next trip I plan on carrying 4 plastic jugs across the front of the JT bed. They can be tied down with the OEM tiedowns.
You can also consider a way to haul cans on your trailer. E trailer and other places have options.

OP
OP

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have a full 5 gal jerry can in the back of mine under the cover all summer long. It gets crazy hot under that black cover. The cans are made to handle the pressure of gas vapor. Plastic will "expand" a bit but they won't explode.
Is it upright ? All the metal Jerry cans I find are taller than the bed. I measured 17 1/2" from the bed floor to the top rail. I can maybe get 1/2" more. If I could find some mounts to lay them on the side/back maybe they would fit ? Maybe new ones are a bit shorter than the old military cans ? More searching to do.

I'd really like the cans inside if possible just for security. I know a soft cover can be cut but out of site out of mind is my thought process.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
First post... My practice in remote places like Death Valley, Parashant, Arizona Strip, Baja, has been to carry twice as much as I need, in case the planned loop is blocked and I have to retrace the whole route. So I often have 20 gallons (4 milsurp Sceptre MFC plastic cans). So some real-world advice.

-They will expand in high temperatures. If you put cans into really tight-fitting bracket holders, be prepared for a struggle to get them out. Same goes for ratchet straps and tie downs. Leave some wiggle room in the system if you can. Last resort, you can open the lid to relieve pressure for extraction but be ready for some spillage if you're on an angle.
-I've had better luck getting less expansion by filling them very full, like tilting back so the neck is level to the ground, and leaving very little airspace. If I'm going to do this, I usually try to squeeze the sides in while filling up. The caveat is, it's much easier to end up spilling some when you go to attach the pour spout.
-Shade definitely helps. Silver reflective tarps are common now; but black tonneau cover is still better than full sun.
-First couple trips with the MFCs had some issues - I replaced a bunch of gaskets (new gasket should be considered mandatory with any surplus cans), and two of the MFC-specific plastic cap flanges (I see these now come in aluminum, which is a better idea). Since then solid as rocks, totally fine to store on their sides, probably upside down even. But the good-quality NATO style metal cans (be aware, many cheap imitations out there) are probably simpler in the lid mechanisms. I never looked at Rotopax, they don't even make a 5 gallon can AFAIK. BTW the MFC is rated to be run over by a heavy duty army truck and I don't doubt it, they are STURDY and nothing like your lawnmower or ATV plastic gear.
-I usually pour them in the tank as soon as there's room, just out of abundance of caution. Maaaaybe if I want to have them full for a whole week or two with frequent trips to town (I'm thinking Moab, with many shortish trails) I might not.

Last edited:

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I keep gas in Rotopax in the bed, occasionally on top of vehicle. They need to be burped with change of temperature or elevation.
Scepter for my water, rear seat is removed so I keep these in the cab. If a Scepter is half full I'll strap it in the bed and just keep the full ones in the cab.
Both Rotopax and Scepter I'm happy with. I think the Rotopax seals a little better. There are all kinds of cool shit people have made for Scepter cans. Pumps, straps to pour easy, pressure for a shower, all kinds of mounts.
I do exactly the opposite of the post above, I leave a big air space in my Rotopax gas cans, I never fill them full, it gives a cushion of air to expand and contract. I do burp them regularly also.

Ben06

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 02 TJ
Occupation
Agricultural Automation
Is it upright ? All the metal Jerry cans I find are taller than the bed. I measured 17 1/2" from the bed floor to the top rail. I can maybe get 1/2" more. If I could find some mounts to lay them on the side/back maybe they would fit ? Maybe new ones are a bit shorter than the old military cans ? More searching to do.

I'd really like the cans inside if possible just for security. I know a soft cover can be cut but out of site out of mind is my thought process.
lays on it's long narrow side

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Metal Jerry can or plastic? Which is better?

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Metal Jerry can or plastic? Which is better?
Both are good. It depends how you plan on mounting or storing them. I would figure that out first. I carried two metal and two plastic on my last trip because of my mounting situation.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Both are good. It depends how you plan on mounting or storing them. I would figure that out first. I carried two metal and two plastic on my last trip because of my mounting situation.
Nice. I plan on carrying two possibly up to 4. Got the bed of my Gladiator or maybe on a bumper mount. Looks like the scepter ones can be ordered directly from Europe. Jerrycan.ee Estonia and princess auto UK

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
Desert dweller, where the temps can be really high during summer months. I use both Rotopax (2 mounted to a Leitner rack) and a 5 gallon metal can from Harbor Freight for those longer trips like into the interior of Death Valley. Other than the occasional burping as mentioned, neither has been an issue. For mounting low, perhaps one of the aftermarket MOLLE panels mounted alongside the bed will do the job? I do also keep the 5 gallon metal can upright in the bed, but don’t have a tonneau so can’t speak to how well it would fit underneath one.

Suszynch

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt rubicon diesel
Occupation
Chef
I use the metal jerries, wavian specifically. They expand and contract pretty well with elevation and temperatures. I just make sure to strap it down well, the cans have great seals I have no worries. There's another more affordable knock-off brand on amzn but there's going to be compromise to the cost.
Sponsored