Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't look like there was some sway there...there was a lot of sway there!

He was one emergency maneuver away from having 14,000 lbs of scrap metal for his estate to dispose of.
didn't feel like alot. It was a bit windy but nothing compared to what towing was like in oklahoma where i come from. also where u getting 14k from? the truck barely weighs 6500 at most.

also "one emergency manuver away". Thats everyone on the road man. Its not exclusive to my dumbass. The odds ain't stacked in my favor sure, but its not exclusive to me.
Sponsored

bucolic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
also where u getting 14k from? the truck barely weighs 6500 at most.

also "one emergency manuver away". Thats everyone on the road man.
Uhaul trailers are about 2,200 lbs, + you said the truck was about 6,500, so let's round down to 6,000 + weight of Mojave, which is about 4,900 lbs, so your GCWR is 14,700 with those numbers. It is way over the GCWR of any Gladiator or Mohave, regardless of the engine or package. You're just overloaded, plain and simple.

Not judging you at all, as I have done way worse in my younger days, LOL. Hauled wood so overloaded busted the springs, ran on bald tires that didn't have any right to be on the road, and paid the local garage guy $40 bucks for inspection stickers because the car wouldn't pass inspection in a million years with worn out brakes and a host of other issues. Lick 'em and stick 'em, we used to say! Didn't have any money to fix it all. Just $40 to pay off the mechanic.

The big problem is that in today's litigious world, it's a lot different from when I was doing foolish things in cars and trucks 45 years ago.

Now they charge you with manslaughter and vehicular homicide if anyone dies in an accident and you were doing something illegal like drunk driving, speeding, or maybe even towing way above what the vehicle is rated for, and trust me; there are plenty of lawyers just frothing at the mouth waiting for a case to pop up in the local news. DA's looking for re-election fodder, and nothing looks better on a resume than than putting someone in jail for 10 years who was doing 20MPH over the speed limit and ran over a pedestrian.

You do what you like but there is multiple people on here with way more knowledge than me saying it might not be a good idea. Again no hate...just friendly advice.

Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. 1706211593437

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't look like there was some sway there...there was a lot of sway there!

He was one emergency maneuver away from having 14,000 lbs of scrap metal for his estate to dispose of.
My thinking of uhaul trailers is they have a surge type brake. No way to press a button and apply trailer brakes only to pull it out of sway. You have to accelerate out of it (maybe) because when sway happens, the trailer is going faster than the tow vehicle.
Sway means improper loading - not easy to do with a uhaul trailer because they force you to put most weight in front of the axles.

And of course, in the end, it all comes out it was a short trip on flat straight highway, 60 mph.
Still, with sway and my truck - buddy or not, I'd be saying sorry, we need to do something else.
Personal choice - and no "buddy" would ask me to abuse a light duty truck to haul a load so I guess I'd never run into that LOL.

because you said it couldn't be done. I proved other wise and you shifted to it "shouldn't" be done.
Couldn't be done means safely. Could I haul 8K with mine - sure! On a straight, level patch of highway at low speed. Would I? Nope, just won't. The details came out much later.

But my friends are car people, many, if not most, have hauled cars and trucks all over the whole country for many years. They know a thing or ten about hauling and towing. Some have crazy expensive setups, enclosed car haulers, even a car hauler that handles 3 cars on one trailer, towing to shows around the country.
So I can't think of a buddy who would ask me to tow what they very well know I should not tow (or can't tow - safely, or without risk to at least the vehicle)

I just see too many ways things can to seriously bad really fast, not to mention what am I doing to the truck itself.

But again - details came out later, not initially.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Uhaul trailers are about 2,200 lbs, + you said the truck was about 6,500, so let's round down to 6,000 + weight of Mojave, which is about 4,900 lbs, so your GCWR is 14,700 with those numbers. It is way over the GCWR of any Gladiator or Mohave, regardless of the engine or package. You're just overloaded, plain and simple.

Not judging you at all, as I have done way worse in my younger days, LOL. Hauled wood so overloaded busted the springs, ran on bald tires that didn't have any right to be on the road, and paid the local garage guy $40 bucks for inspection stickers because the car wouldn't pass inspection in a million years with worn out brakes and a host of other issues. Lick 'em and stick 'em, we used to say! Didn't have any money to fix it all. Just $40 to pay off the mechanic.

The big problem is that in today's litigious world, it's a lot different from when I was doing foolish things in cars and trucks 45 years ago.

Now they charge you with manslaughter and vehicular homicide if anyone dies in an accident and you were doing something illegal like drunk driving, speeding, or maybe even towing way above what the vehicle is rated for, and trust me; there are plenty of lawyers just frothing at the mouth waiting for a case to pop up in the local news. DA's looking for re-election fodder, and nothing looks better on a resume than than putting someone in jail for 10 years who was doing 20MPH over the speed limit and ran over a pedestrian.

You do what you like but there is multiple people on here with way more knowledge than me saying it might not be a good idea. Again no hate...just friendly advice.

Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. 1706211593437
i said my buddy's truck i was towing was 6500. but yes i get what ya mean. your not wrong lol

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My thinking of uhaul trailers is they have a surge type brake. No way to press a button and apply trailer brakes only to pull it out of sway. You have to accelerate out of it (maybe) because when sway happens, the trailer is going faster than the tow vehicle.
Sway means improper loading - not easy to do with a uhaul trailer because they force you to put most weight in front of the axles.

And of course, in the end, it all comes out it was a short trip on flat straight highway, 60 mph.
Still, with sway and my truck - buddy or not, I'd be saying sorry, we need to do something else.
Personal choice - and no "buddy" would ask me to abuse a light duty truck to haul a load so I guess I'd never run into that LOL.

Couldn't be done means safely. Could I haul 8K with mine - sure! On a straight, level patch of highway at low speed. Would I? Nope, just won't. The details came out much later.

But my friends are car people, many, if not most, have hauled cars and trucks all over the whole country for many years. They know a thing or ten about hauling and towing. Some have crazy expensive setups, enclosed car haulers, even a car hauler that handles 3 cars on one trailer, towing to shows around the country.
So I can't think of a buddy who would ask me to tow what they very well know I should not tow (or can't tow - safely, or without risk to at least the vehicle)

I just see too many ways things can to seriously bad really fast, not to mention what am I doing to the truck itself.

But again - details came out later, not initially.
thats fair.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Uhaul trailers are about 2,200 lbs, +
Yup - they are damned heavy trailers for what they are. Even my 18' beaver tail PJ was no heavier than that. My Aluma is 1600 soaking wet with spare tire and tool box with tow straps.
I've used those uhaul trailers - not impressed.
I mentioned that they said "no" to hauling an Eagle wagon - they also said no to me using one of their trailers to haul a 1994 ZJ (Grand Cherokee) behind a full-sized truck. I don't recall what the ZJ with 4.0 and automatic (it was a 2 wheel drive to boot) weighs, but - I found that interesting that they'd allow towing with their trailer the kind of weights mentioned here behind such a light truck.
I'd have never in a million years used a uhaul car trailer but I was between trailers, having sold my very very heavy man-killer flatbed, not yet bought my PJ.

GCWR is a number I left out seeing the obvious, but your numbers put some other context into things.

Anyway, none of this has even a microscopic bit of anything to do with mileage being concerning.
I don't get too concerned when I think of it as a truck, and even less concerned when making one of my trucks work at all.
Try hauling the trailer below behind a F250 that got 12 mpg empty, loaded, head-wind, tail-wind, north or south. You were just happy to have dual tanks.

Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. trailer 005

Jeep Gladiator Gas mileage is concerning.. trailer 004
Sponsored