Sponsored

GDE vs EOC/MR

Tlicious556

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
43
Reaction score
13
Location
CT
Vehicle(s)
ecodiesel soon
just got a JT, need to get a tune on it and i am looking at the GDE tune as i want longevity not peak HP or whatever.

do i need to sent him my comp or can i buy a pre loaded one to swap in and keep the stock one incase i need to go to the dealer for warranty work?

this is a 2021 with 17.5k on it
Sponsored

 

BlueScapegoat

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Dec 2, 2018
Threads
14
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,854
Location
MN
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, 04 Forester XT, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
4
just got a JT, need to get a tune on it and i am looking at the GDE tune as i want longevity not peak HP or whatever.

do i need to sent him my comp or can i buy a pre loaded one to swap in and keep the stock one incase i need to go to the dealer for warranty work?

this is a 2021 with 17.5k on it
:::edit- I think this might be a bit outdated, see following comments::

Damn that's pretty low miles for a '21.

My suggestion, and what I think most people do, is buy a new ECM from Stellantis and clone your factory ECM calibration to it. Then send one or the other off for tuning.

But on a '21 I don't know how much warranty you have left. Could just send it off. Or rip a backup first.
 
Last edited:

mgenbox

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
57
Reaction score
47
Location
Indiana
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD Far Out Ed.
just got a JT, need to get a tune on it and i am looking at the GDE tune as i want longevity not peak HP or whatever.

do i need to sent him my comp or can i buy a pre loaded one to swap in and keep the stock one incase i need to go to the dealer for warranty work?

this is a 2021 with 17.5k on it
They supply a flashing tool to go back n forth
 

BlueScapegoat

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Dec 2, 2018
Threads
14
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,854
Location
MN
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, 04 Forester XT, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
4
They supply a flashing tool to go back n forth
I keep forgetting they do that now. So for my own knowledge, for people getting their ECMs tuned now, there's really no longer a need for a second ECM? Unless you want one to remain truly untouched
 

BlueScapegoat

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Dec 2, 2018
Threads
14
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,854
Location
MN
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, 04 Forester XT, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
4
I went out and burned some $6.50 diesel for science.

I was wrong about the GDE tune being quicker with the 40s and 4.88s.

The hesitation I was talking about with the shifting in the MRTuning transmission tune is essentially gone with the 4.88s. It was much more pronounced when I was running 3.73s. I think that more than makes up for the difference now. It actually feels pretty good under full throttle. The MRTuning also clearing makes use of a higher redline in the earlier gears. Whether or not that is good I can't say. They both shift well early of the actual gauge redline.

Almost zero detectable smoke with the GDE afterlife tuning.

All of these runs were off idle, foot from the brake straight to the floor on the throttle. No brake boost, 4wd, no wheelspin (or at least not enough to kick on the TCS.) You can shave quite a bit of time off with some brake boosting and pavement.

Stock ECM - 37s - 3.73s
9.1 s

GDE EPA Compliant - 37s - 3.73s
7.5 s

GDE Afterlife - 40s - 4.88s
8.34 s

MRTuning Stage 2 Tow - 40s - 4.88s
8.2 s

MRTuning Stage 2 Race - 40s - 4.88s
7.96 s



Stock ECM - 37s - 3.73s:



GDE Compliant - 37s - 3.73s:



GDE/MRTuning:

 
Last edited:

Sponsored

jc99

Well-Known Member
First Name
jc
Joined
Mar 26, 2019
Threads
15
Messages
190
Reaction score
131
Location
Vancouver
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Did you happen to notice what your egts were at for the runs? Specifically for the gde afterlife vs mr tuning stage 2 tow? Curious if overall they were the same or if gde was lower.

Another great way to waste some expensive diesel for all of us would be a run up a grade to see how the egts and engine oil temps compare. 😛


I went out and burned some $6.00 diesel for science.

I was wrong about the GDE tune being quicker with the 40s and 4.88s.

The hesitation I was talking about with the shifting in the MRTuning transmission tune is essentially gone with the 4.88s. It was much more pronounced when I was running 3.73s. I think that more than makes up for the difference now. It actually feels pretty good under full throttle.

Almost zero detectable smoke with the GDE afterlife tuning.

All of these runs were off idle, foot from the brake straight to the floor on the throttle. No brake boost, 4wd, no wheelspin (or at least not enough to kick on the TCS.) You can shave quite a bit of time off with some brake boosting and pavement.

Stock ECM - 37s - 3.73s
9.1 s

GDE EPA Compliant - 37s - 3.73s
7.5 s

GDE Afterlife - 40s - 4.88s
8.34 s

MRTuning Stage 2 Tow - 40s - 4.88s
8.2 s

MRTuning Stage 2 Race - 40s - 4.88s
7.96 s



Stock ECM - 37s - 3.73s:



GDE Compliant - 37s - 3.73s:



GDE/MRTuning:

 

BlueScapegoat

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Dec 2, 2018
Threads
14
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,854
Location
MN
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, 04 Forester XT, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
4
Did you happen to notice what your egts were at for the runs? Specifically for the gde afterlife vs mr tuning stage 2 tow? Curious if overall they were the same or if gde was lower.
Not really, I've got a Banks iDash I contemplated throwing a gopro on but didn't want to mess up the tint on my windows with a suction cup... same reason I'm just clamping a phone to the steering wheel with my hand. I do recall seeing 1460+ on the MRT race pull, which is why I also forgot to shift it out of 4wd.

You know I think the iDash actually does data logging but I've never messed with it. I've still got the MRTuning ECM in the truck at the moment, maybe I'll go mess with that in the morning before swapping back to the GDE ECM.

I've already got a couple beers in my system now so it'll have to wait.

But I have driven the MRTuning setup all around the country, 115°, -30°, 14k ft, never had a problem. I don't want to disparage the tune or tuner, it's been good to me. I just think GDE as a tuner is better.

Another great way to waste some expensive diesel for all of us would be a run up a grade to see how the egts and engine oil temps compare. 😛
No such grades around here... but coming back from Moab last year I set the cruise for 80mph all the way up the Eisenhower tunnel pass east bound, still running 3.73s and 40s with the MRTuning tune set in Tow and it didn't derate or have any issues. Don't remember the exact temp but it was toasty.
 
OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dean
Joined
Jul 22, 2021
Threads
36
Messages
382
Reaction score
478
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Almost zero detectable smoke with the GDE afterlife tuning.
That’s the most impressive for me.

My first Jeep was a ‘00 TJ. How things have changed. Never thought a Jeep would be doing respectable 0-60 times. Especially on 40’s.
Not my thing but I must admit, kinda cool.
 

BlueScapegoat

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Dec 2, 2018
Threads
14
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
2,854
Location
MN
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, 04 Forester XT, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
4
That’s the most impressive for me.

My first Jeep was a ‘00 TJ. How things have changed. Never thought a Jeep would be doing respectable 0-60 times. Especially on 40’s.
Not my thing but I must admit, kinda cool.
I figure a tuned ecoD on stock sized street tires with some brake boost action and a good launch should be able to get into the sixes easy. 6.5 maybe?

My SRT-10 Ram does the sprint in 4.8-4.9 with a perfect launch. Granted that truck is 22 years old but it's pretty crazy that a little 3.0 pushing a brick that weighs 1500 lbs+ more can be just 1.5ish seconds off an 8.3 liter v10 "fastest truck in the world" (not anymore)

I've got a supercharged 05 TJ as well, and there's no doubt in my mind the Gladiator would walk it.

I would love to drive an ecoD swapped 2 door JL.
 
Last edited:

JTdiRtyD

Well-Known Member
First Name
Wes
Joined
Dec 15, 2024
Threads
38
Messages
1,219
Reaction score
2,243
Location
MN
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Army vet, low-code dev
Man, I'd hate to see how much smoke there would be towing in the mountains with any of the MRT tunes. Looks like I'll be going with GDE... but first 4.56 gearing (hopefully in Oct).
 

Sponsored

FC1

Well-Known Member
First Name
Donald
Joined
Oct 26, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
167
Reaction score
145
Location
florida
Vehicle(s)
2015 jeep
Occupation
welder
I figure a tuned ecoD on stock sized street tires with some brake boost action and a good launch should be able to get into the sixes easy. 6.5 maybe?

My SRT-10 Ram does the sprint in 4.8-4.9 with a perfect launch. Granted that truck is 22 years old but it's pretty crazy that a little 3.0 pushing a brick that weighs 1500 lbs+ more can be just 1.5ish seconds off an 8.3 liter v10 "fastest truck in the world" (not anymore)

I've got a supercharged 05 TJ as well, and there's no doubt in my mind the Gladiator would walk it.

I would love to drive an ecoD swapped 2 door JL.
Always wanted that
 

FC1

Well-Known Member
First Name
Donald
Joined
Oct 26, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
167
Reaction score
145
Location
florida
Vehicle(s)
2015 jeep
Occupation
welder
I figure a tuned ecoD on stock sized street tires with some brake boost action and a good launch should be able to get into the sixes easy. 6.5 maybe?

My SRT-10 Ram does the sprint in 4.8-4.9 with a perfect launch. Granted that truck is 22 years old but it's pretty crazy that a little 3.0 pushing a brick that weighs 1500 lbs+ more can be just 1.5ish seconds off an 8.3 liter v10 "fastest truck in the world" (not anymore)

I've got a supercharged 05 TJ as well, and there's no doubt in my mind the Gladiator would walk it.

I would love to drive an ecoD swapped 2 door JL.
Also the hummer h3 would be fun
 
OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dean
Joined
Jul 22, 2021
Threads
36
Messages
382
Reaction score
478
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
You know I think the iDash actually does data logging but I've never messed with it
Yes it does. Or you could just put everything on the First page of the IDash EGT. MPH, HP, TQ, whatever. Open the App and just record everything on your phone.
I couldn’t verify but a “stopwatch” is possible available too. Tied to WOT time? Not sure. Banks tech could verify.
 
OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dean
Joined
Jul 22, 2021
Threads
36
Messages
382
Reaction score
478
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Man, I'd hate to see how much smoke there would be towing in the mountains with any of the MRT tunes. Looks like I'll be going with GDE... but first 4.56 gearing (hopefully in Oct).
Yes. GDE actually does Emission testing on All of their tunes. The info is posted on their website.
Don’t think anyone else is doing this.
 

caryt

Well-Known Member
First Name
Cary
Joined
May 29, 2023
Threads
37
Messages
534
Reaction score
404
Location
Wellington NV
Vehicle(s)
'84 stretched CJ7/LS/tons/40's, 2021 Rubicon JT 39
Occupation
Retired/ Build jeeps
Since I only have 2 months left on my 50/100k warranty I'm thinking about just sending in my ecm to get flashed and get a compliant tune from GDE.

Any good reason not to o this way and spent the %500+ additional to get a new ecm and have it cloned?

Real world turnaround times once GDE received it, I'm on NV.

I'd like to monitor egt and boost with regen so guess the Banks I dash as I want a round gauge but not a scan gauge. Can I use this with the Tazer?

To bad their isn't a way to add these gauges to the off road pages.
Sponsored

 
 







Top