First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Another thought about electric vs. propane.

Southern rigs, (Australian African, Texas and Baja) have plenty of sun making solar/electric a great option. Northern rigs (Rocky Mountains, Canadian) are pretty concerned about heating, making propane or diesel a great option. This leaves this Midwestern boy confused. 🤔
More evidence of the fact that the use case of each overlanding vehicle is not only unique to the owner/operator but unique to the intended environment or expedition/trip.

I’m planning to go solar for my build. Despite spending most of my time in Colorado for off-roading and overlanding the areas where heating is almost necessary aren’t accessible during winter months (Alpine loop) and anywhere that is is typically low enough elevation and still a viable solar environment.
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Propane always seems available. Unless you have a large enough solar setup for a week without sun. I'd go propane cooking and a diesel heater. You can always carry extra propane and diesel. Can't always rely on mother nature. Except to F up your plans.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Propane always seems available. Unless you have a large enough solar setup for a week without sun. I'd go propane cooking and a diesel heater. You can always carry extra propane and diesel. Can't always rely on mother nature. Except to F up your plans.
I think a hybrid is ideal but for me the likelihood of a week without sun is unrealistic, at least where I live and off-road regularly. (280 sunny days in the year in New Mexico 240 in Ouray Colorado) same holds true for most of Arizona, Southern Utah, and Colorado.

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Another thought about electric vs. propane.

Southern rigs, (Australian African, Texas and Baja) have plenty of sun making solar/electric a great option. Northern rigs (Rocky Mountains, Canadian) are pretty concerned about heating, making propane or diesel a great option. This leaves this Midwestern boy confused. 🤔
Midwest, I'd have to say soybeans and corn would be the go-to power sources :angel:

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Midwest, I'd have to say soybeans and corn would be the go-to power sources :angel:
Yep, it's true. Here in the Midwest Corn and Soybeans are great options! It's funny but there's quite a few farmers who run their diesels on Soybean oil, or used deep fry oil, and my old Tundra ran on E85 (Corn ethanol). With gas prices rising, the soybean diesel, and corn ethanol will be back. I also make some mean moonshine from the stuff.

Now if I can just figure how to run my fridge off the stuff.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 7.13.47 PM

Sponsored

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
I also make some mean moonshine from the stuff.
NOW WE ARE TALKING! You need to add a still to the back of the Gladiator

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Moonshine espress

And travel the country (especially the PNW) selling moonshine small batch bespoke fine spirits to fund your adventures. You can use the foreshots to power an alcohol cooktop and heater.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs ME

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
NOW WE ARE TALKING! You need to add a still to the back of the Gladiator

And travel the country (especially the PNW) selling moonshine small batch bespoke fine spirits to fund your adventures. You can use the foreshots to power an alcohol cooktop and heater.

Sounds great! I need to fund this project somehow.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, I need some opinions on DC to DC chargers. National Luna and Redarc are around $400 to $700 for 25 amp dual battery chargers. Any opinions or recommendations for fast alternator chargers for a 100Ah LiPO? These systems can charge from both solar and alternator.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has come across a dual battery under hood system for the Gladiator that uses LiPO. All I can find is AGM batteries for this setup.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.31.33 AM

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
Alright, I need some opinions on DC to DC chargers. National Luna and Redarc are around $400 to $700 for 25 amp dual battery chargers. Any opinions or recommendations for fast alternator chargers for a 100Ah LiPO? These systems can charge from both solar and alternator.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has come across a dual battery under hood system for the Gladiator that uses LiPO. All I can find is AGM batteries for this setup.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.31.33 AM
I use the Redarc BCDC1240D charger in my setup with a 100 Ah 12V LiFePO4 and (2) 100W solar panels. The LiFePO4 is in the bed/camper and charges FAST through the alternator when I'm driving.

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Just got my Renogy MPPT controller 40Li. Need a switch panel now. Pieces a little at a time. Can't afford Redarc. 475$$$ for that controller? Ouch!
I'm still staying away from the Jeep electrical system.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I like the redarc bcdc12125. Does both solar and alternator charging, plus won't be pushing your alternator too hard with 25 amp. That's what I will be going with if I feel the need for charging on the go. Currently, it's not really a problem since I usually just set up base camp and power needs aren't high (mostly just the fridge and small electronics). Also, will be mounting a solar panel on my rtt when I the alucab comes in. That should give me some juice on the go. For most people, a 100amp lifepo will last quite a while when combined with a good 100w panel.
By the way, kickass makes a pretty cool semi portable system if you have the need for that. I built something similar at a fraction of the cost.

https://kickassproducts.com/collect...h-integrated-25a-dc-dc-charger-no-agm-battery

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I like the redarc bcdc12125. Does both solar and alternator charging, plus won't be pushing your alternator too hard with 25 amp. That's what I will be going with if I feel the need for charging on the go. Currently, it's not really a problem since I usually just set up base camp and power needs aren't high (mostly just the fridge and small electronics). Also, will be mounting a solar panel on my rtt when I the alucab comes in. That should give me some juice on the go. For most people, a 100amp lifepo will last quite a while when combined with a good 100w panel.
By the way, kickass makes a pretty cool semi portable system if you have the need for that. I built something similar at a fraction of the cost.

https://kickassproducts.com/collect...h-integrated-25a-dc-dc-charger-no-agm-battery
Now that's kick ass:)
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 5.31.03 PM

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my Renogy MPPT controller 40Li. Need a switch panel now. Pieces a little at a time. Can't afford Redarc. 475$$$ for that controller? Ouch!
I'm still staying away from the Jeep electrical system.
Looks like Renogy is cheaper than Redarc and National Luna for a DC DC charger that charges from both solar and alternator. This one is also 50 amps. Is Renogy a quality product?

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.16.39 PM
Sponsored