Gladiator Expedition Rigs

Gl4dy8r

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I've been literally all over the country in this rig. 2021 Mojave current mileage 107,000 Camped from Cali to Maine, North Dakota to North Carolina. Warmest night 84°, coldest night 19°. Memory foam pillow was a rock on cold nights...Learned my lesson lol.
35" ko2s
2" spacer lift
AT products underseat ARB dual compressor setup
Smittybilt X20 10K winch
Leitner forged rack
Roam vagabond XL tent with annex
Campchef oven
Joolca hot water system

20220827_141149.jpg

20220609_074829.jpg

20220413_195714.jpg
Sponsored

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Mules, I took my gladiator out with my RLD bed cap and did some max flex testing between the cap on the bed and the cabin. Looked to be around 1" of lateral movement/twist differential between them. How did you account for that flexibility in your design and keep it weather proof?

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mules, I took my gladiator out with my RLD bed cap and did some max flex testing between the cap on the bed and the cabin. Looked to be around 1" of lateral movement/twist differential between them. How did you account for that flexibility in your design and keep it weather proof?
Thanks for the feedback, and post a picture of the lateral twist, if you can. I haven't exceeded 3/8" deflection yet, and I allowed about 1/2" of flex in my design. I'm guessing that my sway bar disconnect allows the axle to twist, instead of the bed. Did you use the sway bar disconnect? I also have an EVO lift, but I'm not sure how that would limit the twist.

Last edited:

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Sorry didn't take a pic nor tape any sticks etc to measure. Was just eyeballing. I had the sway bar disconnected, I'm on stock Rubicon suspension for now. 45 deg across a large ditch, so whole truck was resting on two opposite corner wheels. Then rocked back and forth. It was a little more movement than I was expecting, but I believe my future rubber bellows connection will be sufficient.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
First night sleeping in the Rig.

Alright, I slept in the driveway. Don't tell anyone, I'll might loose my man card!

Here's my review of the upstairs mattress:
The temperature got down to 42 degrees F inside the camper. I unzipped my old school Coleman cotton/canvas sleeping bag and used it over me as a blanket.

I was a bit underwhelmed. The mattress didn't get hard at that low temperature, but I wish I would have gone for 6" thick instead of 4" thick, or bought a different mattress. Some of the reviews said it was too hard, but I think the foam wasn't dense or hard enough. If it was denser, I wouldn't have pushed through the 4" as easily. I'm 210 lbs, so no kid.

One thing to note. I can also sleep on my RecPro tan cushions below. They are also stated to be 4" memory foam, but I've got to say they blow away the FoamRush upstairs mattress. I would highly recommend using RecPro over FoamRush. Even though both are stated to be 4" memory foam, RecPro's cushions are thicker, denser, and much more comfortable than FoamRush.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.05.36 AM
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 9.19.20 PM

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, here’s the best part of the design. Wide open access to the front of the truck for heat or A/C! Not the most fuel efficient, but I have A/C, heat, stereo, TV (IPad), 120v (400watt), 12v, and dome lights.

And it’s pretty easy to jump in and out of the back seat doors.

Damn! I wish I opted for the remote start. Then I could turn on/off the truck (heat) from upstairs bedroom.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs A355F99B-F91D-4E3C-B6FA-ED05D65525BA
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 8AEFEA7A-8231-4DC2-B22A-B6B4BF05E3C2
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 7FC42A24-17AC-406E-A2A3-BEE73D73201C
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 32786583-73BB-4871-A1CD-BF9A9BD1028F
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 508C2259-4ECB-4DB0-98B4-857E62985885

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Back to the subject of toilets. For now, I'm going with bags, not water flush toilets. One problem with Luga Loos are the short height and small hole. I used the tallest bucket I had.

Pictured below is a nice folding option from TrailRecon.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_7367.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 10.16.02 AM

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Alright, here’s the best part of the design. Wide open access to the front of the truck for heat or A/C! Not the most fuel efficient, but I have A/C, heat, stereo, TV (IPad), 120v (400watt), 12v, and dome lights.

And it’s pretty easy to jump in and out of the back seat doors.

Damn! I wish I opted for the remote start. Then I could turn on/off the truck (heat) from upstairs bedroom.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 10.16.02 AM
Mike, really appreciate this post and your review on RecPro. I’ve been searching for the best solution for my trailer build and I think you’ve found it. And they are at a decent price.👍👍👍👍 ordering now.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mike, really appreciate this post and your review on RecPro. I’ve been searching for the best solution for my trailer build and I think you’ve found it. And they are at a decent price.👍👍👍👍 ordering now.
Thanks, I searched a long time for stock bench cushions, and I don't think anyone can beat RecPro's price and quality.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, another change of subject. Let's talk cooking! Long term, I want a way to cook both inside and outside the camper. I still love cooking bacon and eggs on my cast Iron skillet over a fire, but I'm ready for something new. First up, let's talk cooking outside.

I'm pretty excited! I ordered a SouthwestDisk Discada, also called a Cowboy Wok and a number of other names. What do you folks think?

Also I don't want to lug a 20lb. propane tank around, and want to get a 5lb tank. I'd like to see how/where you folks are mounting your propane tanks, and if any of you are refilling them.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 7.08.16 AM

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
I use a 12V electric heating pad over a Stoic double cloud mattress. I also use the Froli double size travel kit under the mattress. Slept comfortably last night down to 37 °F with the heating pad as my only heat source (well, plus a friend). I keep my side windows unzipped about 10" to vent — no condensation buildup. I've been using the same mattress for going on 2 years and I rarely inflate it/close the valves (it's self-inflating), it's that good. Paired with the Froli system, it's as close to having a box spring underneath, super comfy. I love my setup.

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Alright, another change of subject. Let's talk cooking! Long term, I want a way to cook both inside and outside the camper. I still love cooking bacon and eggs on my cast Iron skillet over a fire, but I'm ready for something new. First up, let's talk cooking outside.

I'm pretty excited! I ordered a SouthwestDisk Discada, also called a Cowboy Wok and a number of other names. What do you folks think?

Also I don't want to lug a 20lb. propane tank around, and want to get a 5lb tank. I'd like to see how/where you folks are mounting your propane tanks, and if any of you are refilling them.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 7.08.16 AM
I have a Skottle, and while I love a lot about it, I find it awkwardly large and kind of annoying to haul. A lot of me wishes I had spent the money on a more compact cook top. The Jet boil Genesis is so compact, and easy to store that if I did it over again, this would be the route I would go.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019GPHR6...olid=38IOK5OQIMJI8&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Sponsored