First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
VP of Operations
I use a 12V electric heating pad over a Stoic double cloud mattress. I also use the Froli double size travel kit under the mattress. Slept comfortably last night down to 37 °F with the heating pad as my only heat source (well, plus a friend). I keep my side windows unzipped about 10" to vent — no condensation buildup. I've been using the same mattress for going on 2 years and I rarely inflate it/close the valves (it's self-inflating), it's that good. Paired with the Froli system, it's as close to having a box spring underneath, super comfy. I love my setup.
I recently invested in a Stoic double cloud mattress. Got it on a backcountry.com sale for $89. It’s awesome.
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I recently invested in a Stoic double cloud mattress. Got it on a backcountry.com sale for $89. It’s awesome.
Sorry gotta say NO to Backcountry. They put a lot of mom and pops stores out of business with their shenanigans when they tried to tell everyone else they couldn't use Backcountry in their company name or IG account. Sued a lot of people and when they had the backlash and realized they screwed up. Ended up saying sorry. Pshhh to late! Haven't bought anything from them since!
Edit:
There was also a company in Colorado telling OVRLND Camper they couldn't use overland in their name threatened to sue them as well. I think it went as far as a cease and desist order.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
On a lighter note. I'm looking at the Cook partner dual 9 inch break apart for cooking inside if necessary. Possibly using one of the doors to the camper with a fold down table top cook area. Also have looked at the 18-22 inch South West disk. That's probably going to be my route for most cooking. Picked up an ignik propane bottle from REI when they were on sale. Might get a second one for back up.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Alright, another change of subject. Let's talk cooking! Long term, I want a way to cook both inside and outside the camper. I still love cooking bacon and eggs on my cast Iron skillet over a fire, but I'm ready for something new. First up, let's talk cooking outside.

I'm pretty excited! I ordered a SouthwestDisk Discada, also called a Cowboy Wok and a number of other names. What do you folks think?

Also I don't want to lug a 20lb. propane tank around, and want to get a 5lb tank. I'd like to see how/where you folks are mounting your propane tanks, and if any of you are refilling them.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 7.08.16 AM.png
I have a Skottle and have used it a few times. It’s heavy and kind of a pita to set up. It’s so much easier to pull out my 20+ year old Coleman stove/grill. To me the Skottle is a novelty, but I’m no culinary arteest.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Skottle, and while I love a lot about it, I find it awkwardly large and kind of annoying to haul. A lot of me wishes I had spent the money on a more compact cook top. The Jet boil Genesis is so compact, and easy to store that if I did it over again, this would be the route I would go.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019GPHR6...olid=38IOK5OQIMJI8&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
There seems to be a debate between Jet Boil and Cook Partner. Classic old school vs. new School.

I think both are pretty cool. Let’s hear from the rest of you as I try to find my old Coleman burner. Where did I put that thing?

B32BF6B8-A82C-4695-A440-41155D0E56F4.jpeg
FD3DAB17-84F0-45BF-A4DC-37A91AF63834.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
There seems to be a debate between Jet Boil and Cook Partner. Classic old school vs. new School.

I think both are pretty cool. Let’s hear from the rest of you as I try to find my old Coleman burner. Where did I put that thing?

View attachment 274865 View attachment 274866
I've got 3-4 old Coleman's! But damn that pumping of the white gas. I might keep one on hand as a back up. 1 3 burner, 1 2 burner and two single burners. Plus one old lantern. All in working condition.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I went with the 22” Cook Partner, like it ,used it once so far , got it to mount in the kitchen slide I am building one of these days. Also I know where my old Coleman large one is with propane conversion kit, probably going to put it up on marketplace. The 22” CP stove has tighter spacing on the grates above the burner for smaller items and cups to sit better. Very well made but expensive when I bought it from Aventuron for $370, checked recently pricing is insane, it was like $500 ! Aventuron was the best price I could find anywhere when I bought it. The old Coleman is lighter without the fuel tank smaller and sets up easier and has a hinged grate that easily swings up, Old School
is Cool!……Jack
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs F81CD591-5521-462F-9F6F-FF3041EA0352
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 5F1C4312-B1FD-4AE6-8A18-DD5A8E0CC14A
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs D6576842-9213-403E-969E-D94476412551
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs B6603B8C-DC2E-4FC6-8B63-656AF1A56738

Last edited:

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Mike when I bought the Cook Partner , I looked at a bunch of options and Jet broil was one of them, biggest complaints about Cook Partner was lower burner output and the price, the Jet Broil had posts about problems with connections at hinge and few other things, plus , I can’t put a big griddle on a jet broil as easily…..Jack

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Don’t forget about GVWR. smaller and lighter is better for cooking (and everything else). We couldn’t live without all the creature comforts so a small/medium size off road camper for us.

Speaking of, have you loaded up and hit the scales yet Mike?

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Don’t forget about GVWR. smaller and lighter is better for cooking (and everything else). We couldn’t live without all the creature comforts so a small/medium size off road camper for us.

My camper from OVRLND Camper is around 275lbs. Not including gear. Also anyone ever see a bumper that is like the owl van bumper for a gladiator has a box and on top of the box a bike rack? What I'm after!
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs edited_Screenshot_20221004-173123

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

I haven't hit the scales yet, and will double check my numbers but I think I'm around 250 lb with furniture (no gear).

I'm still very light weight, but have a lot of gear to load. One of my dreams would be to add a swing out multiple purpose hitch rack. Something that can handle a few mountain bikes, or a dual sport motorcycle (we used to call them Enduros). Now that's going to add a ton of weight. I know this is overkill, but wouldn't it be great if the rack could hold my full size spare, when I don't have the bikes on it. Now that's a design project.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 6.46.06 AM
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_7353.JPG

Last edited:

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
My camper from OVRLND Camper is around 275lbs. Not including gear. Also anyone ever see a bumper that is like the owl van bumper for a gladiator has a box and on top of the box a bike rack? What I'm after!
Not sure if it’s exactly what you are looking for but check Aluminess.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Not sure if it’s exactly what you are looking for but check Aluminess.
Seen theirs. Close but they don't make one for the Gladiator as far as I can see

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here's some more ideas. I'm thinking about one of these collapsable plastic sinks. I have to figure out if I want to dump to outside, or use a grey tank. I don't think I want a grey tank, since the water usage will be minimal.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 7.19.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 7.05.04 AM.png
I really like the collapsible sinks, that looks about like the one I've got. That and a collapsible tote work for me. Wash in one and rinse or stack in second.
The old Coleman is lighter without the fuel tank smaller and sets up easier and has a hinged grate that easily swings up, Old School
is Cool!……Jack
I'm using my old Coleman 425 with a propane conversion generator, I do have the gas tank with it to as a backup, you can run it on unleaded gasoline too. FYI: I had to harvest the tip off a gas generator for the propane one to fit.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the collapsible sinks, that looks about like the one I've got. That and a collapsible tote work for me. Wash in one and rinse or stack in second.

I'm using my old Coleman 425 with a propane conversion generator, I do have the gas tank with it to as a backup, you can run it on unleaded gasoline too. FYI: I had to harvest the tip off a gas generator for the propane one to fit.
I love it when people update their classic gear to newer technology. I didn't know you could convert a white fuel Coleman to propane! If I can find my old Coleman, I'm doing it!
Sponsored

Last edited: