Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I use a butane stove to heat water for coffe and the occasional fried foods. But I now stick mostly to using my 12v cooking items from Roadpro. No concern for wind, easy to use and fast cleanup.. No worries of fire, grease or steam.

Fot most meals I warm soups, or frozen items from home like stews, chilli, spaghetti, etc. I bougt these two Roadpro 12v items a couple of years ago and they have held up well. Price is double what they used to be, but I noticed the sauce pan is 50% off right now at Amazon. You can also find them at some truckstops.

The oven is graet for heating frozen hand held items (bisquits, burritos, sandwiches, meats, etc) and for warming breads. It can be plugged in to 12v for about 45 to 60 minutes before stopping to eat lunch or getting to camp and the frozen food is usually ready. I buy the disposable aluminum trays that fit in oven and cleanup is done when removed.

https://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Portable-Cooking-Warming-Aluminum/dp/B09M48L71C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2XX7VGX4IU2HC&keywords=roadpro&qid=1673754781&sprefix=roadpro,aps,222&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

The saucepan is great for soups, stews, chilli, etc. I wait till camp to use it to avoid spills on trails. It is non-stick and washes out easily with minimal soap and water ( heated in pan before washing.)

https://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-RPSP225NS-Portable-Saucepan-Non-Stick/dp/B000668S9I/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2XX7VGX4IU2HC&keywords=roadpro&qid=1673754328&sprefix=roadpro,aps,222&sr=8-6&th=1
I've seen heated lunchboxes that truckers use before, but I've never seen the heated saucepan. Awesome! I would have to be careful using these, as I wired my 12v cigarette lighter outlet for continuous power and could run my truck battery down if my engine isn't running.

I also have the truck's stock 400w 120v power supply. I'll have to look to see if there are any other less than 400w cooking items. Slow cooking but simple.

Thanks, but now you have to find a 12v coffee maker!

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 6.56.31 AM
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 6.59.32 AM
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't know there was a 12 volt frying pan out there. Roadpro has one! Thanks TexasOverlander.

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 97 TJ Sahara, 19 Cherokee Ltd
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
Awesome on the frying pan !!. That may be my next acquistion.

I have seen 12v coffee makers, but most had weak reviews. I do have a little one cup drip brewer that runs on 110... with inverter and engine running, it takes maybe 4 to 5 minutes. But I am an early riser, and do not want to make noise by cranking engine too early in camp, and I like to make my coffee outside on a table.

I do use the brewer occasionally ( especially when very windy) with my Jackery 1500, but I have that in rear seat area with my two Dometics (15L fridge and a 35L Freezer.) I charge the Jackery while driving with the inverter.

I have a 12v extension cord/splitter ( @ 3 ft run from a 12v constant-on plug I mounted in truck bed) that has 3 plugs, each with an individual switch and individual indicator lights to let me know when one is left on. Velcroed on side of hatch so it is readily visible. I tested these cookers a couple years ago on Jackery and they did not drain it too quickly, but I cannot remember numbers. If cooking a lot, I will run a cord to the Jackery to prevent too much primary battery drain.

I may try to fry a burger in my saucepan when I take my next trip in March, It may work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

I have seen 12v coffee makers, but most had weak reviews. I do have a little one cup drip brewer that runs on 110... with inverter and engine running, it takes maybe 4 to 5 minutes. But I am an early riser, and do not want to make noise by cranking engine too early in camp, and I like to make my coffee outside on a table.

I do use the brewer occasionally ( especially when very windy) with my Jackery 1500, but I have that in rear seat area with my two Dometics (15L fridge and a 35L Freezer.) I charge the Jackery while driving with the inverter.

I have a 12v extension cord/splitter ( @ 3 ft run from a 12v constant-on plug I mounted in truck bed) that has 3 plugs, each with an individual switch and individual indicator lights to let me know when one is left on. Velcroed on side of hatch so it is readily visible. I tested these cookers a couple years ago on Jackery and they did not drain it too quickly, but I cannot remember numbers. If cooking a lot, I will run a cord to the Jackery to prevent too much primary battery drain.

I may try to fry a burger in my saucepan when I take my next trip in March, It may work?
I think frying a burger in your saucepan is a great test! Let us know if it works.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link

I was looking at this for heating one mug of water/coffee:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 39982DB1-5BBA-49A2-BF14-BC28DE13B976

I have a big solar generator so I went with this instead:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 30009E30-E75B-4E54-B728-41C9DF911486

seemed like boiling a small pot/percolator was inefficient and used a lot of propane, took too long.

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I was looking at this for heating one mug of water/coffee:

I have a big solar generator so I went with this instead:

seemed like boiling a small pot/percolator was inefficient and used a lot of propane, took too long.
That thing 12v?

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
As a serious coffee nerd I thought I'd share an option for field coffee that doesn't require any 12V appliances...

https://aeropress.com/
https://madebyknock.com/products/aergrind
https://www.jetboil.com/

This is what I use to brew my home-roasted single-origin beans when camping. The hand grinder fits neatly inside the Aeropress. Jetboil to heat water because usually both burners on my cookstove are in use making breakfast; YMMV. Can't stand perk coffee or french press for quality single-origin varietals, and Aeropress is one of the few methods that gives you the complete control over temperature, grind size, and immersion time that you need to adapt to any bean you might choose.

https://cleverbrewing.coffee/products/clever-dripper would be my second choice but the Aeropress setup is a lot more compact and is better at extracting maximum flavor IMHO.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That thing 12v?
The top one is 12v, not sure how long it would take to heat up 12-20oz.
The bottom pot is 110. Worked very well when tested in the house, I think quicker than my Coleman stove with the Coleman coffee press. Think it took few mins?

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I finally found my 12v car cooker for only $3.95! Hot dogs are on me :)

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 7.20.09 PM
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 7.21.43 PM

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I finally found my 12v car cooker for only $3.95! Hot dogs are on me :)

That looks like a disaster waiting to happen😂
If I didn’t start a fire, I’d burn my lap from all the hot dog grease running out of that thing haha

Sponsored

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
That is awesome !!! I believe the girl next to me on the highway today must have been cooking these hot dogs...she only used the center lane and half of each adjoining lane!!

Just think how nice to grab the heating tube with your bare hand by mistake!!!

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It's hard to believe this overlanding oven is only 100 watts?! Looks like the Easy Bake Oven has grown up.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 8.16.41 PM

Last edited:

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
That is interesting. I too am surprised at the 100w rating? Looks like interior is small. Be interested to see how it performs.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm continuing my search for low voltage, low wattage cooking appliances. It would be nice to find a 300 -400 watt hot plate to fit with my Gladiator's built in 400 watt inverter. Then I wouldn't need another power supply, generator, or propane for those solo trips.

Here's a 500 watt stove working on a Jackery 500. Seams to work.

https://www.amazon.com/Artilife-Ele...5&qid=1674350663&sprefix=yq105,aps,160&sr=8-1
Sponsored

Last edited: