Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
How cool it that!!! A battery powered microwave!

I want one!

Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 5.53.00 PM.png
I have a buddy who will be all over this. He loves Makita tools. Think he has at least one of each tool.
Sponsored

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 97 TJ Sahara, 19 Cherokee Ltd
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
Buy a bottle of Tropicana orange juice. Enjoy the juice, then remove label and/or mark the bottle to ensure no mistakes.....
instant, sealable urinal with a wide mouth top. .....Been using these for years.. when the rinse out stops working, BUY more OJ !

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Trop Uri

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
On a different subject, I've been thinking about taking a dirt bike along instead of my mountain bike on camping trips. I would mount it on a trailer hitch mount on my Gladiator similar to my mountain bike. Ideally it would be street legal, light weight with enough power to do some short highway trips.

Here are four bikes I found at my local big motorcycle dealer. Some Dual Sports and Adventure Bikes.

The Kawasaki KLR Adventure is definitely a great deal for a bigger touring bike, all rigged out for $7-$8K. Definitely big enough for me at 6'2" and 210 lb. Just too heavy and big for my trail riding and trailer hitch.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-7-45-51-pm-

The KTM390 Adventure is the coolest bike in this price range around $6K. Feels a lot more like a street bike than for trails. Too short on the suspension for my trails, and a bit heavy.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-7-47-09-pm-

The Kawasaki KLX300 is my winner for best value, street legal trail bike for your trailer hitch rack. Light enough for me to pick up (300lb), water cooled, fuel injected, low maintenance and runs around $6K. Tall enough for me, with plenty of suspension to hit the trails, and just enough power for highways. There's also a cheaper KLX230 that is air cooled.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-7-43-19-pm-

But....

Here's the one that wins over my heart. How can a 500cc Dual Sport KTM weight less than the Kawasaki KLX300 at only 250lbs?! The KTM 500 EXC is hands down the best performing street legal dual sport there is. The only problem is the price tag at $12.5K! Ouch...

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs screen-shot-2023-03-25-at-8-09-45-pm-

I'm keeping my eye out for a used KTM. Don't tell my wife I looking for another toy. ;)

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I like these guys ideas.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 7.07.05 AM
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 7.07.53 AM

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 8.02.39 AM

Last edited:

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
That GS on the back of the defender has got to put them overweight… those start at over 500lbs empty.

What hitch mount would you go with? Would you be taking it on trails fully loaded(the Jeep that is)?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That GS on the back of the defender has got to put them overweight… those start at over 500lbs empty.

What hitch mount would you go with? Would you be taking it on trails fully loaded(the Jeep that is)?
I was thinking about an MX Hauler and a bike around 300lbs. The trick is to get the bike heigh enough for a departure angle on the truck.

At 300 lb. for camper, 400 lb. for a couple people, 300 lb for the bike, 50 lb for the rack, and 200 lb for gear. That's about 1,250 lbs. I should have more than 1,500 lb capacity on my Gladiator with EVO lift.

I'll be able to get to my base camps with that much weight, but I wouldn't do any serious 4 wheeling with a dirt bike on back. The bikes really get tossed around hard, and I've seen one break the mount. Hell, I even broke my mountain bike rack, last time I went 4-wheeling with it on back.

Last edited:

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Doesn't anyone use a jet boil and camp stove anymore? :LOL:

Electric to heat is not a very efficient use of limited electric power.
Not a JetBoil here but definitely THE camp stove. To paraphrase Charlton Heston. they'll have to pry my Partner Steel "from my cold, dead hands". LOL
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 46_KitchenExtended

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not a JetBoil here but definitely THE camp stove. To paraphrase Charlton Heston. they'll have to pry my Partner Steel "from my cold, dead hands". LOL
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 46_KitchenExtended
Sweet kitchen!! When’s lunch?

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Spring is finally here. I’m getting excited to go camping without freezing! My ideas about running the truck’s heater at night or bringing my gas generator to power my electric heater were a pain in the keister.

I’ll have to find a better solution before next winter. For now I’ll enjoy some nice weather, before it gets to 100 degrees!

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 879F4AFC-AF5E-4513-99D3-57ECB5B1B961

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
On a different subject, I've been thinking about taking a dirt bike along instead of my mountain bike on camping trips. I would mount it on a trailer hitch mount on my Gladiator similar to my mountain bike. Ideally it would be street legal, light weight with enough power to do some short highway trips.

Here are four bikes I found at my local big motorcycle dealer. Some Dual Sports and Adventure Bikes.

The Kawasaki KLR Adventure is definitely a great deal for a bigger touring bike, all rigged out for $7-$8K. Definitely big enough for me at 6'2" and 210 lb. Just too heavy and big for my trail riding and trailer hitch.

The KTM390 Adventure is the coolest bike in this price range around $6K. Feels a lot more like a street bike than for trails. Too short on the suspension for my trails, and a bit heavy.

The Kawasaki KLX300 is my winner for best value, street legal trail bike for your trailer hitch rack. Light enough for me to pick up (300lb), water cooled, fuel injected, low maintenance and runs around $6K. Tall enough for me, with plenty of suspension to hit the trails, and just enough power for highways. There's also a cheaper KLX230 that is air cooled.

But....

Here's the one that wins over my heart. How can a 500cc Dual Sport KTM weight less than the Kawasaki KLX300 at only 250lbs?! The KTM 500 EXC is hands down the best performing street legal dual sport there is. The only problem is the price tag at $12.5K! Ouch...

I'm keeping my eye out for a used KTM. Don't tell my wife I looking for another toy. ;)
The KTM 500 EXC prowess as the best DS is subjective...

Have you looked at the Beta or Husky in the 350 or 390 size? If you go Beta, get the Race Edition, the suspension is so much nicer than the regular setup.
I love my Honda CRF450RL, but it gets a bit big, motor wise, on the tight trails.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The KTM 500 EXC prowess as the best DS is subjective...

Have you looked at the Beta or Husky in the 350 or 390 size? If you go Beta, get the Race Edition, the suspension is so much nicer than the regular setup.
I love my Honda CRF450RL, but it gets a bit big, motor wise, on the tight trails.
I rode a small Husky many decades ago. KTM bought Husky and GasGas. Husky supposedly uses KTM engines, but I don't know much about GasGas.

There's a local Beta dealer nearby. I've heard good things about them. I'll check it out.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 6.53.21 AM

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 6.52.17 AM

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I rode a small Husky many decades ago. KTM bought Husky and GasGas. Husky supposedly uses KTM engines, but I don't know much about GasGas.

There's a local Beta dealer nearby. I've heard good things about them. I'll check it out.

Yes, KTM owns Husky and Gas Gas. But there are small differences between each. I'd prefer Husky of the 3, so would my boy, who worked at a dealer for a few years. No real big reason, just little things, like a linked rear suspension. And yes, some of the KTMs have linked rear suspension and not the PDS, but that's just personal opinion.
The new Yamaha WR450/250Fs are pretty sweet as well. But those don't come plated, so it depends on your state if they can be.

350 is a little more of a race/revving motor than the Beta 390. As in the 350s like to be ran in higher RPM range to make their power, where the 390 motor likes to run in the lower RPM range, not really lug, but kinda. Beta has "demo days" going on this spring, not sure if one is close to you.
https://betausa.com/demo-events/

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
@Mules also, keep in mind not all the manufacturers weigh their motorcycles the same way. Some are with absolutely no fluids, some have the crankcase full and no fuel, and some are full of fluids including fuel.
My last 2 Hondas have been 3 to 5 pounds lighter than they stated, and that includes a full tank of fuel.
KTMs are almost always heavier than stated.
Just an FYI.
But there are a lot of good bikes out there.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It's finally nice camping weather here in Missouri, and I'm out of commission for a month or so. Just had an operation, and I'm restricted to sitting around the house.

I'd love to see any pictures of other Gladiator camping rigs, while I sit on my couch. Keep me entertained and post some pictures!!

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_7528 2.JPG

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
It's finally nice camping weather here in Missouri, and I'm out of commission for a month or so. Just had an operation, and I'm restricted to sitting around the house.

I'd love to see any pictures of other Gladiator camping rigs, while I sit on my couch. Keep me entertained and post some pictures!!

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_7528 2.JPG
Hope you recover quickly!
Sponsored