Sponsored

Gladiator Expedition Rigs

FshnRdnJpnAB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon. 2005 TJ Rubicon.
Here's a view of the back. Building the hatchback will be a bit tricky. I made the back of the shell narrower to fit the bed and can't use a stock Gladiator rear window. My plan is to use 3/16" or 1/4" Acrylic (plexiglass). Polycarbonate (Lexan) is stronger and easier to cut and drill but will yellow with time. The tricky part will be making a slight bend in the window, since it is not flat, and making it thick enough and not flimsy. It will have hinges, pneumatic struts, and probably a latch on each side.

IMG_5658 2.JPG
Looking good! For a second I thought you had a woodland camo wrap on your tailgate.....that is some crazy polished paint right there 😀

64853C70-7AB3-4E31-B473-4ED3AFD056AC.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Looking good! For a second I thought you had a woodland camo wrap on your tailgate.....that is some crazy polished paint right there 😀

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 64853C70-7AB3-4E31-B473-4ED3AFD056AC
She looks great after a spit shine!

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
She looks great after a spit shine!
Had mine ceramic coated and even with the sting gray color I can still see the colors of passing vehicles and the reflection of the trees. It’s like a smoked mirror

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, I wasn't planning on this yet, but I have to sew the tent material next. Here's my plan and I need some advice to see if I'm on the right path:

Material:
Use a marine quality canvas like Sunbrella or TopNotch (any other suggestions?). These are extremely durable, moisture and mildew resistant, and won't fade. This stuff isn't fire proof, so the tent makers don't use it. The boat builders do though. Isn't a boat just a water camper?:)

This stuff is pretty heavy, but I should be able to sew it with my wife's sewing machine (this might get ugly)

Windows:
Use a 40gage clear vinyl, like in boats.

Attachment:
Big decision here as I am lazy. I want to use fabric stick on velcro instead of sew on zippers. Yeah I know, I'll probably regret using the stick on stuff.

Window Design:
I was thinking about a three layer window (screen, clear vinyl, and sun shade). You just peel down the sun shade to see out. Next you peel down the clear vinyl for the screen. Sounds nice, but a lot of sewing.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 5.05.43 PM

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 6.22.40 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The votes are in... I'm going with sew on velcro, instead of stick on. Seems the stick on stuff isn't tough enough for the application, and if you want to sew it on later, will clog up the sewing machine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a video showing how to sew a vinyl or screen window with velcro into marine canvas.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a great Dormobile video. This closely represents how much room will be inside the Gladiator, when complete. The layout it great. I'm not so sure I will go this high end.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A bit more sanding this weekend and I’m shooting some primer. It will be nice to see it in one color even if it’s primer grey.

2206C74E-275C-4A5B-A8BC-4781039B0B9A.jpeg
CA8F3843-7B76-477F-A2E1-54A0B1F63028.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about aluminum composite and aluminum tubing for the upper bed frame. Does anyone have some recommendations or experience with a paneled bed frame? The upper bed will be about 48" wide, by 75" long. I was thinking about making three 25" x 48" removable panels for it.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The more I look into it, 3/4" Birch or Marine plywood is simple and strong for the upper bed. The panels won't need cross beams, just the plywood. I think the upper bed will be three removable panels. Easy to make and stack out of the way for when you want to walk around.

On another note, I'm considering Upholstering the bed and bench with vinyl instead of using cushions. I think it's easier than sewing.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
The more I look into it, 3/4" Birch or Marine plywood is simple and strong for the upper bed. The panels won't need cross beams, just the plywood. I think the upper bed will be three removable panels. Easy to make and stack out of the way for when you want to walk around.

On another note, I'm considering Upholstering the bed and bench with vinyl instead of using cushions. I think it's easier than sewing.

Not completely the answer you are looking for but my recommendation is to get a good foam cushion. I built out a camper trailer and skimped on the bed cushion. My wife loves everything about the camper except sleeping comfort. I have to agree and are now looking for ideas on a good custom size foam mattres.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not completely the answer you are looking for but my recommendation is to get a good foam cushion. I built out a camper trailer and skimped on the bed cushion. My wife loves everything about the camper except sleeping comfort. I have to agree and are now looking for ideas on a good custom size foam mattres.
Here's a great subject for the experienced over landers. What thickness/type foam, cushion, or mattress should I use for my upper bed. It's dimensions should be about 50 wide by 75 long. It also needs to be cut/made into three pieces (unless I come up with another platform idea).

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 7.02.04 AM

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 7.06.46 AM

Last edited: