First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Sorry if I'm Geeking out a bit on batteries. But hey, I'm an Engineer.

Now, here's a really cool option, if it will work. Dakota has a 135Ah Group 24 battery Starter Battery (smaller in size than my Gladiator's battery). The biggest complaint I've heard about Lithium Starter batteries is that they don't like the cold/heat. Dakota says theirs works from -20F to 150F.

How cool would it be to have 135Ah of power available for my accessories, in my truck's starter battery! I'll have to check charging rates, but my 240 amp alternator might be able to fully charge it in about 40 minutes. All that power, and no second battery, no DC DC charger, or solar setup. Change the battery and go.

It can't be that easy? Anybody try Dakota Lithium Starter batteries yet?

View attachment 242512
Following this!
Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Sorry if I'm Geeking out a bit on batteries. But hey, I'm an Engineer.

Now, here's a really cool option, if it will work. Dakota has a 135Ah Group 24 battery Starter Battery (smaller in size than my Gladiator's battery). The biggest complaint I've heard about Lithium Starter batteries is that they don't like the cold/heat. Dakota says theirs works from -20F to 150F.

How cool would it be to have 135Ah of power available for my accessories, in my truck's starter battery! I'll have to check charging rates, but my 240 amp alternator might be able to fully charge it in about 40 minutes. All that power, and no second battery, no DC DC charger, or solar setup. Change the battery and go.

It can't be that easy? Anybody try Dakota Lithium Starter batteries yet?

View attachment 242512
That is pretty cool. You can add a Cascadia hood solar panel setup to that and you're good to go. Super clean setup for sure.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I finally found a reference from a JL and Grand Cherokee owner that has an Antigravity Lithium Start/Deep cycle battery. He lives in Kansas and looks like he likes them. I called Dakota Lithium, but they were a bit vague about using their battery in a Gladiator.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 9.22.27 PM

Last edited:

Redruby

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I wonder why they where vague about the use ina Gladiator?

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder why they where vague about the use ina Gladiator?
I think Anttigravity warrants their battery based on using the vehicle’s stock Alternator and has battery sizes for most new cars. Dakota Lithium has awesome batteries but they are a boat/trolling motor battery company and only has one size, two capacities, for cars.

Both battery companies are worried about using the wrong alternator that will damage or overcharge and shorten the life of the Lithium battery. Looks like Antigravity does the vehicle research and Dakota leaves it up to you. When a battery company says "check to see if this will violate your vehicle's warranty", they know something we don't.

I still need to find out if my upgraded 240 amp stock alternator is a problem or not. I also have to research to see if the Gladiator has a smart alternator, which changes voltage (and amperage) when needed. The old alternators had a fixed voltage regulator.

Bottom line is the Lithium Battery and Alternator must be designed to work together.

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Both battery companies are worried about using the wrong alternator that will damage or overcharge and shorten the life of the Lithium battery.
Bottom line is the Lithium Battery and Alternator must be designed to work together.
Another issue with Lithium batteries it temperature range to hot and especially to cold. "From what I've read on them. After that is water for a very big hazard with Lithium batteries. Water and Lithium = Bad fire. I'm not a chemical expert but I've seen a few Lithium batteries burning from water exposure. I'd like to install duel batteries under hood but not for what a few of the companies want for it.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well I just talked to Antigravity about their Lithium Starter Batteries. They have a couple sizes and Amp Hour batteries that will work in the Gladiator that is an OEM replacement. 5 year warranty and it should work fine in St. Louis's climate year round as well as my few cold ski trips to Colorado. They are out of stock now, but I'll probably buy one later this year. Their 80 AH starter battery should be able to handle my fridge and light accessories for 2-3 days without driving.

If it doesn't work, I can't say you guys didn't warn me. I guess I'll be the guinea pig .:whew:

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 4.53.11 PM

I also bought a kit to wire into my fuse box that allows continuous power to my 12 v cigarette lighter. Pretty simple way to have continuous power for my fridge. I'll later run a couple permanent power lines off my auxiliary switches to the back of the truck.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_6544.JPG

Sponsored

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Well I just talked to Antigravity about their Lithium Starter Batteries. They have a couple sizes and Amp Hour batteries that will work in the Gladiator that is an OEM replacement. 5 year warranty and it should work fine in St. Louis's climate year round as well as my few cold ski trips to Colorado. They are out of stock now, but I'll probably buy one later this year. Their 80 AH starter battery should be able to handle my fridge and light accessories for 2-3 days without driving.

If it doesn't work, I can't say you guys didn't warn me. I guess I'll be the guinea pig .:whew:

I also bought a kit to wire into my fuse box that allows continuous power to my 12 v cigarette lighter. Pretty simple way to have continuous power for my fridge. I'll later run a couple permanent power lines off my auxiliary switches to the back of the truck.

Can’t wait to hear your experience. This is next on my list after onboard water.

RobbertCole

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 Mustang GT
I saw this in the beginning, a little in the middle and have gone back through.

We still a havent seen this thing with the top on it and flexed out yet have we? after seeing how much movement there is between the cab and bed when im out on and about on trails i just cant see this not having long term issues.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I saw this in the beginning, a little in the middle and have gone back through.

We still a havent seen this thing with the top on it and flexed out yet have we? after seeing how much movement there is between the cab and bed when im out on and about on trails i just cant see this not having long term issues.
Yea you’re probably right. I’ll eventually flex it more than the 1/2” allowance I designed in. When that happens, I have a few backup plans.

I have a couple things I’ll try first but if all else fails, I have a split line between the cab and bed that I can cut to separate the camper and allow for the flex. I’m putting that one off until I actually break something. Good thing I know how to fix fiberglass😀

RobbertCole

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 Mustang GT
Yea you’re probably right. I’ll eventually flex it more than the 1/2” allowance I designed in. When that happens, I have a few backup plans.

I have a couple things I’ll try first but if all else fails, I have a split line between the cab and bed that I can cut to separate the camper and allow for the flex. I’m putting that one off until I actually break something. Good thing I know how to fix fiberglass😀
I wonder if you could use some sort of accordion style flexy strip like those big extra long busses? and use a channel to secure it. That could probably handle side to side but im not sure of up and down forces.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if you could use some sort of accordion style flexy strip like those big extra long busses? and use a channel to secure it. That could probably handle side to side but im not sure of up and down forces.
There's a few different types available. Here's one.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 10.55.38 AM
Sponsored