First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Thanks to all of you adding facts and experience here. Interesting read and learned a few things.

Aluminum heads huh ? Never thought of that before. Very cool.
Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to all of you adding facts and experience here. Interesting read and learned a few things.

Aluminum heads huh ? Never thought of that before. Very cool.
Steal blocks and heads have been gone for a long time now actually.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Avgas is not only 100 octane, it is also leaded.

Don't use Avgas in a modern engine.

Unleaded racing gas? Have at it. Although I wouldn't.
Leaded and 100 octane? I thought it was essentially kerosene and had more energy than that. I also had no idea that it was leaded, that's actually quite interesting. I thought we stopped leaded gas a long time ago. Is it bad that I love the smell of both gasoline and kerosene? I'll also throw in I also like the smell of metal cased toxic markers, paint thinner, and transfer paper like at the bank, if anyone cares lol. I think everyone likes the smell of clean money and new cars too :D

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
almost all avgas in the U.S. is low lead, 100 MON avgas (100LL)

The octane for avgas is not an average MON + RON / 2 like automotive fuel.
It's purely the measured octane and not the average of measured and research octane numbers.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Leaded and 100 octane? I thought it was essentially kerosene and had more energy than that. I also had no idea that it was leaded, that's actually quite interesting. I thought we stopped leaded gas a long time ago. Is it bad that I love the smell of both gasoline and kerosene? I'll also throw in I also like the smell of metal cased toxic markers, paint thinner, and transfer paper like at the bank, if anyone cares lol. I think everyone likes the smell of clean money and new cars too :D
I think you're confusing jet fuel with aviation gasoline. Jet fuel is essentially high grade kerosene. It's designed to burn inside a gas turbine. Aviation gasoline is simply high octane gasoline and has quality controls.

Some hot rodders mistakenly believe running aviation gas or racing fuel in their street rods will give them more power. This is not the case. Both are designed for very high compression. If your street rod doesn't have high compression, it won't do anything for your street rod. (Recently demonstrated on an episode of "Engine Masters".) Then there's nitromethane. That's a whole other story...

Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
You are thinking of jet fuel, otherwise known as JET A. That is very similar to kerosene.

All of the fuels like JET A, type 2 diesel, kerosene, and home heating oils are very close in their makeup.

JET A is the most refined because, well because it goes in jets and turboprops (jet engines that turn props) Go figure.

Regular kerosene and el cheapo kerosene are not as much so.

The 100LL is used in prop planes with reciprocating engines. Some prop planes also run on MOGAS which is aroind 85 octane.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think you're confusing jet fuel with aviation gasoline. Jet fuel is essentially high grade kerosene. It's designed to burn inside a gas turbine. Aviation gasoline is simply high octane gasoline and has quality controls.

Some hot rodders mistakenly believe running aviation gas or racing fuel in their street rods will give them more power. This is not the case. Both are designed for very high compression. If your street rod doesn't have high compression, it won't do anything for your street rod. (Recently demonstrated on an episode of "Engine Masters".) Then there's nitromethane. That's a whole other story...
BINGO - like I said before, octane != more power, or less power. It's not slower burn, it's not faster burn, there's not more BTUs or heat energy content, there's not less. It's simply higher octane fuel measured differently than street gasoline and with tight controls.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ShadowsPapa , @Klutch , @MrZappo Thanks for the answers. I grew up on military bases and was used to JP-8 designation. Got it confused with AvGas rather than JP. JP-8 is usually used for travel over water and is used for jet turbine engines. I'm more used to those engine types rather than smaller prop stuff. Thanks for the heads up on it. So, JP is what I love the smell of :D lol

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa , @Klutch , @MrZappo Thanks for the answers. I grew up on military bases and was used to JP-8 designation. Got it confused with AvGas rather than JP. JP-8 is usually used for travel over water and is used for jet turbine engines. I'm more used to those engine types rather than smaller prop stuff. Thanks for the heads up on it. So, JP is what I love the smell of :D lol
I have cans of acetone and MEK here if you need a fix........... or I can start one of my hit and miss engines, I love to smell the fumes of those things as the burn a bit of the oil they are lubed with and some blow smoke rings.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Actually, i remember as a child liking the smell but remember smelling it a lot more. Maybe the older pumps spewed more fumes or something or the fuel was more stinky.

I also remember before unleaded that there was regular and something called ethyl? And some cars needed it ? I sont remember why though.

It was ages ago.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have cans of acetone and MEK here if you need a fix........... or I can start one of my hit and miss engines, I love to smell the fumes of those things as the burn a bit of the oil they are lubed with and some blow smoke rings.
Lol, before anyone thinks I'm a junkie, I like the smell of it wafting my direction, usually of its own volition. I do not huff any of these materials, I enjoy having more than a handful of Brian cells ;)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, before anyone thinks I'm a junkie, I like the smell of it wafting my direction, usually of its own volition. I do not huff any of these materials, I enjoy having more than a handful of Brian cells ;)
LOL - And I hope everyone knows I was "Razzing" you about it. Some things in a shop I just don't mind the smell of - in moderation, that is.............. not with my face over it.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Having spent many months living aboard aircraft carriers, I've had quite enough of smelling jet fuel, thank you. 😛 Old timers tell me they would light the coffee in their cups to burn off the JP5 that floated on top. The story goes the Navy would use the fresh water tanks to store extra jet fuel and that was the residual. Never saw it myself, so I can't say.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Ah, the sweet smells of youth! Playing in the Shell oil fields with the piquant aftertaste of the diesel they spread everywhere to keep the dust down, the acrid tinge on the tip of your tongue of ozone as it filters through your nasal cavity from a Lincoln buzzbox spitting welding rod flux, and the delicious plume of a 2-stroker running 16:1 mix while you dance in a heady haze killing 'squiters on the south forty and brain cells in the lower medulla. Then there's the granddaddy of olfactory awesomeness called an antique engine/threshing bee/steam engine show. Steam, oil, kerosene, gasoline, any -ine, diesel, grease, and of course bratwurst. Sweet smell of a totally perfect childhood. Throw in a mimeograph copy of the weekly math test and I'll just sit back and relish all the good times. Bactine will invariably find its way in there too, needed plenty of that.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think its worth it. 87 is my #.
Sponsored