First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Security
Does anyone know which rear tire is the pulling tire on the Gladiator?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know which rear tire is the pulling tire on the Gladiator?
There is no such thing. There is no pulling tire or drive wheel in cars and trucks.
Where did you get the idea there was?

Differentials apply equal torque to both axles as long as both have traction.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I don’t even know what that means.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t even know what that means.
There's an old thing from decades ago that suggests there is a "Drive wheel" on cars/trucks.
Many say "the right wheel is the drive wheel" but that's simply not true.
In short, there's no such thing. Equal torque is applied to both rear axles as long as both have traction.
And with modern vehicles, the traction control should kick in anyway if one does lose its grip, or in the case of limited slip differentials the mechanisms within prevent that from happening.
But a differential splits the torque equally so there's no drive wheel or "pulling tire" in any car or truck since the invention of differentials.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
My kids had a go-cart back in the day.
it was rear driver side. The chain came off the motor straight to that one wheel. That thing was sure fun!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I get curious when I see the question - for two reasons:
If there was such a thing, why would it matter or be necessary to know?
and
Where did the idea that there was such a thing even come from?

Perhaps the very first cars, before about 1920, maybe, but then no, as tractors of that era even had differentials and equal pull on both wheels.

I guess I just get curious at times...........

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
It's the left front, unless you have a matching spare tire on a matching wheel, then it is the spare.

slim chance

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi JTA, 23 Ram Laramie 1500, 21 Nacho JTF
Occupation
retired
Where did the idea that there was such a thing even come from?
ok, i'll bite on this one ... was not around in 1920, but have been stuck in many different cars/trucks and have seen first hand only one rear wheel spinning, without traction control ... also IF both wheels on an axel are driven, why would i need a locker ... and why would i want a limited slip diff ????????????

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
ok, i'll bite on this one ... was not around in 1920, but have been stuck in many different cars/trucks and have seen first hand only one rear wheel spinning, without traction control ... also IF both wheels on an axel are driven, why would i need a locker ... and why would i want a limited slip diff ????????????
Because even when both tires are on a similar surface, the traction between the two is still not equal. One tire will spin easier than the other and that's where the power goes.

Sponsored

Gladiator832

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2013 Ram Sport
Occupation
Plant Manager
Aren't some 2 wheel drive trucks open differential? One leggers?

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
Not sure but I think they all are. But, I have a Rubicon with front and rear lockers, so there is that.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Even with an open diff, there's no drive tire. When we see one tire spinning, it is because when only one wheel has traction, on an open diff, once one wheel loses traction, that wheel will spin easier. It'll do the same thing if the other wheel loses traction. It'll always go to the wheel with least resistance. A locking differential locks both wheels together so they have to spin together.
An LSD prevents the difference in rotational speeds from getting so extreme, so when one wheel starts spinning too much faster than the other, it creates a resistance to the free spinning wheel. How exactly that works, I'm sure @ShadowsPapa will explain haha.

Last edited:

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Do tires pull or push? I don't think any cars have pulling tires because it's more of a push in the physics sense. The tire is not being attracted to the road in front of it, instead it's pushing the pavement to generate vehicle movement. Movement occurs because the pavement attached to the earth has more mass then the vehicle.

Except maybe 40" mud tires they probably have enough gravity to pull the vehicle down the road... must be why they effect fuel efficency so much.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Try MOST trucks. The vast majority of "Trucks on the road" are open differential. "one legger" is a really bad nick-name because BOTH wheels always get the same force applied - the same torque. The differential splits the torque evenly between the two wheels.

Majority of cars on the road and trucks on the road would be open differential.
That's changing with modern sales and marketing but the legacy limited slip differential isn't really all that necessary with traction control and modern electronics (Jeep off-roaders will disagree, but that's fine - we're talking ordinary use, streets and roads)

k, i'll bite on this one ... was not around in 1920, but have been stuck in many different cars/trucks and have seen first hand only one rear wheel spinning, without traction control ... also IF both wheels on an axel are driven, why would i need a locker ... and why would i want a limited slip diff ????????????
Sure, that's because of the differential action. When you turn a corner one wheel MUST turn faster and more revolutions than the other because the outer tires run in a larger diameter circle. There must be a difference in SPEED, but the torque applied is equal.
Stuck has nothing to do with it - that's just injecting side-things. Both get the same torque, it's just that one in that case takes the speed or action - has zip to do with a driving wheel. If the left one is in sand and the right one on bare concrete, then the left one spins, if the right one is in sand and the left one is on bare concrete, then the right one spins. See, no difference.

Because even when both tires are on a similar surface, the traction between the two is still not equal. One tire will spin easier than the other and that's where the power goes.
That has nothing to do with it. And you are talking fractions of numbers on a concrete street or even asphalt. You'd have trouble measuring the difference.
Anyway, that has zip to do with "which is the drive wheel" or a term I've never heard in my 50 years as a mechanic - "pulling tire" - the bottom line is there is no such thing.

It's truly that simple but then some will still toss it at the wall to see if it sticks.

There is no drive wheel, no drive tire, no pulling tire or pushing tire.
On a rear wheel drive, it's BOTH rear wheels. On a front wheel drive vehicle, it's both front wheels.

If anyone has actually truly worked on, rebuilt a differential, and tried to understand how they work, they'd see the old myth of a drive wheel is simply not possible. However, most people who work on cars and trucks, Jeep owners are no exception, heck, even those replacing or swapping gear ratios in shops are no exception, don't have any real idea of what truly goes on and how they really work. They simply go through the motions of swapping parts and changing ratios, and never understand what happens inside the carrier of a differential. Most people working at 4x4 shops are parts swappers and know only about the one thing they do day after day.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.