Sponsored

Gladiator Rubicon Diesel Bottom Out issue

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
It would be really interesting to see if a non-diesel is using the same part. Did they not factor in the weight difference?

As I've said elsewhere, it appears JEEP is using the same suspension as is on non diesel models.

Springs and shocks are probably enough for stock, OEM condition as it left the factory. Add one splat of bird poop and it's overweight for the springs and shocks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubiman

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
As I've said elsewhere, it appears JEEP is using the same suspension as is on non diesel models.

Springs and shocks are probably enough for stock, OEM condition as it left the factory. Add one splat of bird poop and it's overweight for the springs and shocks.
So the only fix is putting on the Mopar lift. Spend more $ to fix the engineering flaws. Great.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
So the only fix is putting on the Mopar lift. Spend more $ to fix the engineering flaws. Great.
No, you don't have to go with MOPAR and you don't have to do a lift if you don't want to.

Synergy offers +1" springs for front and rear. Wouldn't have to change anything else.
Yes, you would have to spend money, around $500 for both sets, front and rear.

I wouldn't blame engineering as much as bean counters, more cost effective to install current springs right at the maximum range.

OP
OP
Rubiman

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
No, you don't have to go with MOPAR and you don't have to do a lift if you don't want to.

Synergy offers +1" springs for front and rear. Wouldn't have to change anything else.

I wouldn't blame engineering as much as bean counters, more cost effective to install current springs right at the maximum range.
I wonder if the ride quality will change?

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Good to know, saved for later - hoping they do revise the springs for MY2022 but I'm already counting on having to replace them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubiman

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Good to know, saved for later - hoping they do revise the springs for MY2022 but I'm already counting on having to replace them.
Have you contacted Jeep Wave - if they get enough call’s it may speed up the process.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Have you contacted Jeep Wave - if they get enough call’s it may speed up the process.
Nah - I haven't pulled the trigger yet on ordering. But I have no faith in the system to make it right post-sale. I just hope they quietly revise the parts before I buy.

OP
OP
Rubiman

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Nah - I haven't pulled the trigger yet on ordering. But I have no faith in the system to make it right post-sale. I just hope they quietly revise the parts before I buy.
Very doubtful they will.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I wonder if the ride quality will change?

I would hope so, your ride sucks, you're bottoming out.

If normal road swales make you bottom out you're too soft for the weight you're carrying.

From my understanding, Synergy's springs are similar to the Rubicon springs, just a little stiffer.

Sponsored

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
This sounds like a tall order, but can you strap a GoPro down there to capture it while driving? A lot of people do that to record death wobble.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I agree on the shocks, but again more money.

The least expensive adjustable shocks are Rancho 9000's.
I was planning Fox 2.5 Elites, so I didn't complain to the dealer. Rancho is a crappy shock, but could help out with the issue.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
FYI, shocks really only function on the rebound stroke, it's the spring rate that resists the upward travel on tire impact with obstacles.

If it is bottoming out, a higher spring rate is needed to offer more resistance for the set range of travel.

Higher spring rates then need improved shocks with correct internal valving to now counter the increased push back (rebound) the spring has. Basically now the shock needs more damping to slow the spring back force and turn the motion energy into heat energy.

Increasing spring rate without increasing damping will cause pogoing.

Longer travel just masks the issue cause now instead of increasing rate you are just adding time wheel is moving and not getting it back under control any quicker.

If you add lift I would make sure those spring rates match the added weight of the diesel,same goes for the shocks.

OP
OP
Rubiman

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
FYI, shocks really only function on the rebound stroke, it's the spring rate that resists the upward travel on tire impact with obstacles.

If it is bottoming out, a higher spring rate is needed to offer more resistance for the set range of travel.

Higher spring rates then need improved shocks with correct internal valving to now counter the increased push back (rebound) the spring has. Basically now the shock needs more damping to slow the spring back force and turn the motion energy into heat energy.

Increasing spring rate without increasing damping will cause pogoing.

Longer travel just masks the issue cause now instead of increasing rate you are just adding time wheel is moving and not getting it back under control any quicker.

If you add lift I would make sure those spring rates match the added weight of the diesel,same goes for the shocks.
Well said. I wonder if the Mopar 2” would fix the problem.
Sponsored