First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Dyed in wool Ford guy.

Last vehicle had an Eco-Boom.

Bought a Gladiator, based on my past experiences with the Eco-Boom.

Towing, or anything with load, and elevation, a nightmare.
Sponsored

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
I considered holding out for the Bronco but ultimately ran across a deal on the exact JT I wanted.

Having a small truck is extremely useful to me, and worst case if I decide I absolutely must have the Bronco then the Jeep resale value is insane and I'll be able to without an issue. That said, it'll be a while before we see the big Broncos selling for even MSRP. Most dealerships are adding $5-10k to MSRP and I just can't get along with that.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
You make a great point. Though, why convert to a solid axle when you can just buy one?
The guys with Tacos etc that get serious do swap out, but I'd wager a factory SFA has advantages.
The whole vehicle was built with it in mind.

Food for thought...

Can you imagine the ramifications on the Jeep brand, if Ford's Bronco brand went with a solid front axle?
Or, if Toyota put solid front axles on the FJ Cruiser? Or imported to the states - the small solid axle'd Land Cruiser?
Jeep would be in trouble.

I'll bet these 4x4 aftermarket companies are currently working on a solid axle conversion for the bigger Bronco.

Just sayin'.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI it's $3500 upgrade to the V6 because it's only paired with the 10 spd auto trans. so:

$1900 to move up to the 2.7L V6
$1600 for the 10 spd auto
True if you really want a manual. I don't want a manual. At least not in a truck.

Also, by your logic, the Jeeps diesel costs $6000. Because you can't get a manual with the diesel.

So how do you want to work the math?

Sponsored

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I considered holding out for the Bronco but ultimately ran across a deal on the exact JT I wanted.

Having a small truck is extremely useful to me, and worst case if I decide I absolutely must have the Bronco then the Jeep resale value is insane and I'll be able to without an issue. That said, it'll be a while before we see the big Broncos selling for even MSRP. Most dealerships are adding $5-10k to MSRP and I just can't get along with that.
I struggle with the truck vs SUV choice. I'd prefer a truck. But its not a "must have".

If you order the Bronco, and are prepared to wait 10 months, you can order from a dealer in Philli or another out west that is offering 4% under invoice. So on a 55k truck you are talking about $4000 under MSRP.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
I struggle with the truck vs SUV choice. I'd prefer a truck. But its not a "must have".

If you order the Bronco, and are prepared to wait 10 months, you can order from a dealer in Philli or another out west that is offering 4% under invoice. So on a 55k truck you are talking about $4000 under MSRP.
For sure. I’ve been a jeep guy since the 90s but I love the new Bronco. I couldn’t justify it because I had to rationalize the jeep due to the pickup aspect. Otherwise I’d have bought a wrangler a while ago.

if you don’t mind waiting the Bronco will be awesome. 4Runner TRD Pros have Ifs too and don’t seem to have a problem selling.

Tarantularock

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f150(sold) 2021 Gladiator Sport
After owning 2 Jeep’s for over 13 years I’ve had my 2013 f150 which I liked a lot! the opportunity to sell the truck to my brother came sooner then I was hoping but it’s been a great truck and it would mean I’d still had access to it if I sold to him. I was on the Bronco list since day 1 and was hoping to get by with our other vehicles until it’s release… but since then it has been postponed twice…so, I went and picked up the gladiator / no regrets I love it & it makes me feel like I’m back in my old 2000 tj sport (except now with a truck bed).

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
We (my wife and I) converted our bronco reservation to an order a few months back. We got the badlands with Sasquatch, v6, and hard top. All these items delay our build date. Most likely we will see ours in November, December. Others have already received their vin numbers and should see theirs in June-July. Deliver dates depend on on reservation date and build. Certain build options will set you back. I was a second day reservation, it’s our build that’s slowing down our delivery. We don’t mind, because it gives us time to save. We are paying less than MSRP. Lots of dealers got smart and guaranteed below MSRP to get reservations.

Considering they launched this thing in the heart of a pandemic, the delays have been pretty understandable. Ford has been pretty good with sending me emails, letting me know what’s going on and what’s to come. They added the sound damping panels for free because our items in our build would delay our build date.

I’m excited, can’t complain about having a gladiator and driving my wife’s Bronco once in a while. I hope it sells well and is successfully. It will only spark other companies to follow suit. I would love to see a new 4Runner with some wrangler style goodies. Or new updated XTerra. I pretty much love all things off road and of its a little unique, I love it even more. So, come on car companies, go nuts. Hell, I would love to see an updated Volkswagen bus with real camping credentials. Ok, now I’m way off topic.

Sponsored

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Can you imagine the ramifications on the Jeep brand, if Ford's Bronco brand went with a solid front axle?
Or, if Toyota put solid front axles on the FJ Cruiser? Or imported to the states - the small solid axle'd Land Cruiser?
Jeep would be in trouble.

I'll bet these 4x4 aftermarket companies are currently working on a solid axle conversion for the bigger Bronco.

Just sayin'.
No chance of that happening. Toyota solidly moved away from SFA vehicles a LONG time ago and has no reason to return. Ford won't do it either; they want to compete with Jeep but not in a 100% head to head battle...they want to do it just slightly different in the hopes that most buyers want the look but don't necessarily NEED the all out capability.

MarkH

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 08 Land Rover RR, 07 MX5, 62 MGB
Occupation
Tech Manager
Just received this from Ford...this is why I am in a JT. The reason I’m sticking with the JT is because is just so much fun, love driving it.

28F2B7D3-DE97-4B1C-8233-E105738443DC.jpeg

rdboyd

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 1971 Jeep Cj5
Occupation
Product Development Engineer
The sports are not the Broncos that the OP is referencing. The ones you are seeing (Sports) are based on the Escape platform, and are mini soccer mom SUVs.
Seems like an odd move on the part of Ford. Almost like if Jeep had decided to call the Renegade the "Wrangler Sport". Hoping to trick people into buying a Bronco that is not really a Bronco.

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Just received this from Ford...this is why I am in a JT. The reason I’m sticking with the JT is because is just so much fun, love driving it.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Bronco. 28F2B7D3-DE97-4B1C-8233-E105738443DC
Exactly why I cancelled my order as well. I just got tired of the BS with Ford (plus I've been a Jeep guy for decades, I just wanted to get the Bronco while I waited to see if the Gladiator would be released in a color I wanted).

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly why I cancelled my order as well. I just got tired of the BS with Ford (plus I've been a Jeep guy for decades, I just wanted to get the Bronco while I waited to see if the Gladiator would be released in a color I wanted).
I'm more like

PDiddy above.

I get it when I get it. I'm not in any rush.

With that said, until I drive it I'm on the fence. I may still get a gladiator.

Unfortunately my perfect Gladiator will never be made.

That would a be Toyota built gladiator with Toyota reliability but otherwise identical to a Jeep gladiator, with a 450 hp plug in hybrid drivetrain.

;-)
Sponsored