Sponsored

Gladiator vs F250

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
When I ordered my Gladiator my son asked...why didn't you order an F150 or F250 for the money. I told him because I didn't want one...end of story. I didn't buy my Gladiator because I needed a capable pickup truck. If a fully capable heavy duty truck was what I needed...that is what I would of bought. I bought my Gladiator because it fit my needs...and looks really cool too!! LOL.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What will the F-150 do that the Gladiator won't? Other than lose value rapidly? Lol.

Now, the F-250 is a different story...but again, very few guys actually need that level of payload and towing.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
What will the F-150 do that the Gladiator won't? Other than lose value rapidly? Lol.

Now, the F-250 is a different story...but again, very few guys actually need that level of payload and towing.
To be fair, I dont NEED the Jeep’s level of offroading or truck ability. I would say everything I could want or actually need a vehicle to do could be done by a Subaru, Mitsubishi, or Tacoma for much less money. But SOMETHING in my heart and mind told me to get a JT, with a first baby on the way in 3 weeks and less than a month on a new job. I have NEVER wanted a new car, or any other car besides my Honda Element. I spent $3000 in repairs and tires between January and May on it, and about $2000 over the last three years prior to that. Buying a car never crossed my mind until the JT, and I had know about it and its abilities for months before getting it. I didnt PLAN on getting one, but here I am, first car payment in 15 years.

BigSteve484

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Grand Cherokee 5.2
What will the F-150 do that the Gladiator won't? Other than lose value rapidly? Lol....
Pretty much everything lol. Tow more, higher payload, way more comfortable (COOLED seats baby!), highway cruise better, probably get better mpg's, way more power, etc.

That said, there's a ton of stuff the jeep can/will do that nothing else on the road (sans wrangler) can currently do, like lose the roof and doors in various configurations while hauling dirtbikes in the bed and quads on the trailer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From videos I have seen the F250 isnt bad at off roading either, at least on dirt/mud trails. As I dont like rock crawling, it wasnt even a consideration as a “plus” in the Jeep’s favor. There is nothing to explain my decision except for, “It’s a Jeep thing”

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Pretty much everything lol. Tow more, higher payload, way more comfortable (COOLED seats baby!), highway cruise better, probably get better mpg's, way more power, etc.

That said, there's a ton of stuff the jeep can/will do that nothing else on the road (sans wrangler) can currently do, like lose the roof and doors in various configurations while hauling dirtbikes in the bed and quads on the trailer.
That's a negative. I went from a Supercrew F-150 4x4 with 5.0L V8 to the Jeep Gladiator.

F-150: 1,534 lbs payload, 7,700 lbs towing
Gladiator: 1,511 lbs payload, 7,650 lbs towing

F-150: 15.5 MPG average
Gladiator: 17 MPG average
(I calculate by hand using Fuelly.com and I drive a 50/50 mix of city and highway weekly)

F-150: downshifts on every incline or hill
Gladiator: downshifts on every incline or hill

F-150 does have more power, but it's also got more weight.

Also, with 6,000+ lbs. of weight in tow, my Gladiator gets around 12.5 hand calculated. The F-150 with the same trailer would be in the 10-11 MPG range.

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
A better comparison would have been the Sport with Max Tow (since they would both be lesser equipped versions)...that price differential would be fairly significant compared to a decked out Rubicon.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
The Gladiator does everything I care about better than the Ford. Including, looks cooler, off roads better, converts to open air driving better, and fits in my garage better.

These are all the reasons I would pay more and matter to me more than the things they do the same. Plus, at this point in my life I have earned the right and cabbage to treat myself to what I want more than what I need.

Hayden

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Totally different classes, but for a daily driver with a bed for some added utility, the Gladiator is fantastic!!

I didn't buy my Gladiator because I needed a capable pickup truck. If a fully capable heavy duty truck was what I needed...that is what I would of bought. I bought my Gladiator because it fit my needs...and looks really cool too!! LOL.
Agree, and I assume most Gladiator buyers are in the same boat. It's a cool driver with good practicality for daily use but not something I can see anyone selecting as a serious workhorse due to the small bed and engine (while capable, it's not much fun to tow a big load any sort of distance with 260 lb-ft of torque).

Sponsored

Jhoude19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT & 1998 Jeep XJ
these comparisons are so stupid, let me compare this light duty truck to a 3/4-1ton pickup.. even still lets compare it to a superduty one of the leading work trucks on the market.. comparing pricing is even more dumb.. "let me compare this 8 passenger mini van to this 8 passenger suburban.. stupid.. and then comparing price?.... that's like saying "oh you spent 40k on kia.. you could have bought a base model bmw 3 series for that money.. again stupid.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
That crew doesn't seem to like the JT much. The more I watch them, the less I like their content. Partially because of vids like this one (which I haven't bothered to watch; ridiculous test).

One of their vids compared the off road worthiness of a JT and a Tacoma. They wouldn't declare a winner/preference (spineless), but one of the cast changed into a Toyota shirt for the summary scene of the vid. Lame.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I seriously looked at an F250 for about 60 seconds. I was done looking when I saw it was 250 inches long. That's 19 inches longer than the Raptor I bought and about 10 inches longer than the big bay in my garage.

With the hail storms around here, my non negotiable rule is that any vehicle must fit in the garage.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a built F250 that is the same MSRP as my JT Sport Max Tow ($44,600)

2020 Ford Super Duty F-250 XL Crew Cab®, 6 3/4’ Box, 7.3L 2V DEVCT NA PFI V8 Engine, TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission, 4.30 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio, 4X4, SRW

Power Equipment Group
Skid Plates – Transfer Case and Fuel Tank
Dual Battery
Alternator – 397 Amp
Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp with camera (CHMSL)
Manual Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors with Power Heated Glass
LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/S Tires

JT still the better buy
Sponsored