Sponsored

Gladiator vs. JKU (with a matching trailer)

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
loaner
Occupation
IT guy
I currently have a 2014 JKU that I've had since new. It suits my needs fairly well and has never given me any major problems. It's getting a little long in the tooth (109K miles), but it's still doing great (and it's paid off). To supplement the lack of space in the JKU, I bought and restored a 1948 Bantam trailer. It fills in the gap for when I need to haul things, but pulling a trailer is not ideal in most situations (like city driving, IKEA/HD runs, driveable beaches).

I've been on the fence about jumping to the Gladiator ever since I saw one for the first time. My wife argues it would be getting the same thing I have except with a truck bed, while I say that's the whole point! I'm wondering who else has made the jump similar to mine and how you feel looking back.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs. JKU (with a matching trailer) gladForum.JPG
Sponsored

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like it’s time to get off the fence and seriously consider the Gladiator. I want from a 2004 TJ Rubicon (2 door) to the JTR, so I got a longer wheelbase, 2 more doors and bigger back seat, plus the truck bed and tow package. No regrets whatsoever. Much more practical vehicle and actually quiet enough to have a phone conversation while driving!

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Sounds like it’s time to get off the fence and seriously consider the Gladiator. I want from a 2004 TJ Rubicon (2 door) to the JTR, so I got a longer wheelbase, 2 more doors and bigger back seat, plus the truck bed and tow package. No regrets whatsoever. Much more practical vehicle and actually quiet enough to have a phone conversation while driving!
I did not want to pull a trailer also. JTR will fit an ATV in the back, I tried with older model of polaris sportsman 500 with no issues. Now for the space... I could pack my 2016 wrangler for a camping trip with same items I pack my gladiator, but I had a hitch carrier, roof rack and few things between people. For gladiator I bought a cargo net and do not think twice on what is coming camping with us anymore. Did not notice issues with parking or driving. Did my annual OBX trip in 9 and half hours with stopping for gas only both ways. Get it and enjoy it.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I've had a 4x8' trailer for my YJ for a long time, plenty of clearance on 31's but just an open frame bedside. Not for a load of gravel, for instance. When I don't take it I miss it, ran the Mojave Road in 2019 with a few buddies, the Taco driver carried fuel and firewood for me (and all the other two Wranglers). Trailers are OK but like you say, IKEA trips take a LOT more planning than just driving over there.

I moved my half of the house out by myself in 2017, took a lot of trailer trips to do that. Just moved again, IN to my fiancee's place (and most of my stuff in storage). Three trips with an 8x16 dual axle open trailer borrowed from work, DONE. If you think a trailer gives a Wrangler a lot more cargo capacity, wait until you get a load of what a Gladiator will tow! (ba-dump tiss!)

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I had a Bantam trailer, very briefly, on a 2-door JK. Those things are heavy. Even aside from the weight, I find a pickup bed more convenient for everyday hauling than attaching and dealing with a trailer. Besides, you can fill the bed and still be able to tow something else.

But then again, a paid off JKU with only 109k miles sounds pretty good, and you can leave the trailer behind when you don't need it, and still have more enclosed/secure storage in the JKU than you do in the pickup.

All comes down to what your needs are.

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I currently have a 2014 JKU that I've had since new. It suits my needs fairly well and has never given me any major problems. It's getting a little long in the tooth (109K miles), but it's still doing great (and it's paid off). To supplement the lack of space in the JKU, I bought and restored a 1948 Bantam trailer. It fills in the gap for when I need to haul things, but pulling a trailer is not ideal in most situations (like city driving, IKEA/HD runs, driveable beaches).

I've been on the fence about jumping to the Gladiator ever since I saw one for the first time. My wife argues it would be getting the same thing I have except with a truck bed, while I say that's the whole point! I'm wondering who else has made the jump similar to mine and how you feel looking back.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs. JKU (with a matching trailer) gladForum.JPG
I have pretty much the same setup, though my 2014 JKU is only at 72k miles and my 1946 "Ben Hur" trailer isn't as cool looking as yours. I'm keeping the trailer and will build a topper for it to make it a camping chaser.

I decided I can justify this for the truck bed, the better transmission, the better quality of life stuff just so I have something more versatile for all of my home owning, woodshop working needs. I'll miss how conveniently small the JKU was... and definitely be looking forward to getting the Gladiator paid off asap.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
The JT/JL platform is much more refined and improved in comfort and tech over the JK platform. I had a '14 JKU which was great. IMO a bed is much easier to live with day to day than a trailer if you frequently need to haul stuff.

TooManyJeeps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 jku,10 jku,13 jku,17 jkur,20 jl,20 jt
Occupation
daydreamer
Kept my 17JKUR and bought a 20JT. Wife has 2dr JL, literally uses my JKUR as a grocery getter.
I'm a hoarder.

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
I am also considering a Gladiator, i have a 2015 jku and have used a 5x8 trailer. It works well, but a truck would be better, i plan to get a new trailer but being able to stop “unplanned” will be nice.
Also planning to keep the JK....

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Just because you have a bed doesn't mean you will fully be able to get rid of the trailer. I have found the bed on the JT not the most useful, though it with a cover when doorless/topless is amazing having secure storage for things. It just very short and not deep. I mean its good for the occasional couch or something, but many things I have gotten at Ikea don't have a chance of fitting in there. For hauling though I have had to take multiple home depot trips with my van due to how short that bed actually is.

The ability it has to pull a shit load on a trailer though comfortably more than makes up for it.

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
I've had many TJ's, JK's and JKU's and many trailers to tow behind them. Inevitably, I grew tired of NEVER having a trailer with me when I wanted to pick up something.
As I was debating the switch to a JT, my wife had the same complaints (it's the same thing! Why do you keep buying the same thing).

So, I hooked up the utility trailer and towed it everywhere we went in case I needed it :) IF you go this route, make sure you toss her the keys and have her back the JK/trailer combo up to load something SHE just bought!

2 weeks later, I drove off in a Sport S Gladiator and have NO regrets. It's a more refined platform than the JK (won't even discuss improvements over the TJ) and way more useful for my needs.

The bed is only 6 inches shorter than my brothers full size Chevy (although it is narrower and more shallow). I've only had 1 issue where a spur of the moment purchase didn't fit, but that was a Honda ATV that I picked up at an estate sale. For that one, I did have to drive home and grab the 5x10 trailer.
Sponsored