Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I feel like I need to defend the Tacoma here because there's a huge difference in how the JT and Taco are spec'd out. The Rubi is the top off-roader without question and even the ZR2 Bison isn't going to compete with a 4:1, live axles, and a pair of lockers. Thing is, the Rubicon is the only way to get those from the factory. Meanwhile, from an off-road standpoint, the basic bitch TRDOR package offers everything the Pro does less the marginally better Fox shocks.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you really want to compare off-road performance, the Tacoma that's $10k less than the Gladiator will show the same results. Meanwhile, if you pick literally any JT that isn't a Rubicon, the difference will be much, much closer. It's the difference between a company who built an unapologetic off-roader as its top trim vs a company who basically created a cosmetic package.
Yes, yes, if you discount the Rubicons actual capabilities, the two vehicles have about the same capabilities.

When you compare the two top of the line models, the JT prevails.

Which is kind of like saying if I was a paraplegic the fight would be different.
Sponsored

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
Yes, yes, if you discount the Rubicons actual capabilities, the two vehicles have about the same capabilities.

When you compare the two top of the line models, the JT prevails.

Which is kind of like saying if I was a paraplegic the fight would be different.
I get that this is a Jeep forum so the dick swinging vs. Toyota will be rampant but you're completely missing the point of the post. The Rubicon is effectively a special edition where its defining characteristics that make it better (lockers, 4:1) are entirely unavailable outside that trim level. That doesn't apply to the Toyota so it doesn't matter if you compare the top of the line (which is largely a cosmetic package) or the mid-tier Off-Road, you'll get the same outcomes in the test.

A more reasonable comparison is the Overland because it's similarly priced to the Pro with similar equipment and both are effectively up-trim versions of the more common models.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I get that this is a Jeep forum so the dick swinging vs. Toyota will be rampant but you're completely missing the point of the post. The Rubicon is effectively a special edition where its defining characteristics that make it better (lockers, 4:1) are entirely unavailable outside that trim level. That doesn't apply to the Toyota so it doesn't matter if you compare the top of the line (which is largely a cosmetic package) or the mid-tier Off-Road, you'll get the same outcomes in the test.

A more reasonable comparison is the Overland because it's similarly priced to the Pro with similar equipment and both are effectively up-trim versions of the more common models.
Dick swinging? Your own lack of objectivity doesn't constitute "dick swinging" by someone capable of detaching themselves from brand loyalty long enough to look objectively at two similar but fundamentally incomparable vehicles. LOL, I'm not missing the point of the post at all. You'd like to draw an imaginary ceiling on Jeep capabilities based entirely on the fact that Toyota doesn't offer those capabilities at any price.

FTR, currently registered in my name are 1-GMC, 1-Toyota, 1-Hyundai, 1-Ram, 1-Jeep. I'm the farthest thing from a brand loyalist you'll ever meet.

Rubicon is a "special edition"? Wut? It is no more a "special edition" than a TRD Pro, Jeep just chooses to give you actual function for your money instead of badging and bullshit.

That's like saying if you take the V8 out of a Hellcat it compares more favorably with an FRS.

Your entire premise is that if you handicap the Jeep to Toyota levels, the Toyota compares more favorably. Of course it does. That said, a base model Jeep without lockers is every bit as capable as a base model Tacoma with a rear locker (and an actual grown up can fit not only in the front seat, but the rear too.)

I read an article a while ago, explaining that despite the stock market performing at record levels due to the Trump economy,this really isn't a good thing due to the percentage of people who are not invested in the stock market failing to benefit from those gains. (Well no shit, REALLY?) That is exactly the line of thought you are taking in an effort to diminish one and prop up the other.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep just chooses to give you actual function for your money instead of badging and bullshit.
Yeah, Toyota's gotten really good at introducing new Sticker Editions :no:

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
Dick swinging? Your own lack of objectivity doesn't constitute "dick swinging" by someone capable of detaching themselves from brand loyalty long enough to look objectively at two similar but fundamentally incomparable vehicles. LOL, I'm not missing the point of the post at all. You'd like to draw an imaginary ceiling on Jeep capabilities based entirely on the fact that Toyota doesn't offer those capabilities at any price.

FTR, currently registered in my name are 1-GMC, 1-Toyota, 1-Hyundai, 1-Ram, 1-Jeep. I'm the farthest thing from a brand loyalist you'll ever meet.

Rubicon is a "special edition"? Wut? It is no more a "special edition" than a TRD Pro, Jeep just chooses to give you actual function for your money instead of badging and bullshit.

That's like saying if you take the V8 out of a Hellcat it compares more favorably with an FRS.

Your entire premise is that if you handicap the Jeep to Toyota levels, the Toyota compares more favorably. Of course it does. That said, a base model Jeep without lockers is every bit as capable as a base model Tacoma with a rear locker (and an actual grown up can fit not only in the front seat, but the rear too.)

I read an article a while ago, explaining that despite the stock market performing at record levels due to the Trump economy,this really isn't a good thing due to the percentage of people who are not invested in the stock market failing to benefit from those gains. (Well no shit, REALLY?) That is exactly the line of thought you are taking in an effort to diminish one and prop up the other.
Diversity in your garage doesn't exempt you from being an insufferable fanboy. There is no handicapping the Jeep (and if anything, this comparison is attempting to inflate the merits of the Pro package) - I'm arguing that comparing a package on one vehicle that has no counterpart on the other on the lone merit that they are the most expensive "off road" package on each is a waste of time at best. The Rubicon is better and nobody is going to deny that but when the TRD Off-Road package (available at literally the same price as a basic Gladiator Sport) will compete just as well in the comparison, the comparison is clearly flawed.

Sponsored

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
Yeah, Toyota's gotten really good at introducing new Sticker Editions :no:
  • Black and Tan
  • Freedom
  • Sport/Sahara Altitude
  • Willys
  • Rubicon Hard Rock
  • 75th Anniversary Edition
  • Dragon Edition
  • Polar edition
  • Call of fucking Duty
  • Zombie Apocalypse Edition
Yup. Totally a Toyota problem.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Diversity in your garage doesn't exempt you from being an insufferable fanboy. There is no handicapping the Jeep (and if anything, this comparison is attempting to inflate the merits of the Pro package) - I'm arguing that comparing a package on one vehicle that has no counterpart on the other on the lone merit that they are the most expensive "off road" package on each is a waste of time at best. The Rubicon is better and nobody is going to deny that but when the TRD Off-Road package (available at literally the same price as a basic Gladiator Sport) will compete just as well in the comparison, the comparison is clearly flawed.
That's nice honey. Insufferable fanboy. Objectivity is pretty clearly something you don't possess, maybe it will come after puberty.

The basic Tacoma and the basic JT are the same price, and one is not substantially more capable off road than the other.

However the basic JT allows occupancy by grown adults front and rear
Has removable roof and doors
Superior differentials , and brakes
Interior is vastly nicer design and material
Despite a strong aftermarket for the Tacoma, the aftermarket for Jeep blows it away.

Then if you DO actually want capability at an up charge, Jeep actually delivers it when you spend the money.

Tacoma is a tired obsolete platform with shit fuel mileage, poor power, plagued with transmission problems and an interior completely unacceptable to anyone 6' or taller, that Toyota has allowed to rest on it's laurels because uninformed brand snobs continue to buy it.

You say you feel compelled to defend Tacoma here when you are fully aware that you are defending an inferior vehicle . OK, well feel free.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I love my 4Runner and old Toyota pickup and I am going crazy waiting to get my Gladiator (probably Rubicon).

I have a Harley but I also love sport bikes.

I love heavy metal guitars but also love acoustic.

People need to calm down and appreciate the good in everything (except for the Pontiac Aztek)

OP
OP
TJ Mitchell Films

TJ Mitchell Films

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Welder
Tacoma is a tired obsolete platform with shit fuel mileage, poor power
I think the Tacoma and Gladiator have the same fuel mileage rating and almost identical horsepower and torque.

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Geez, opening this thread feels like I am back on TacomaWorld. Which isn't positive.
As former Tacoma owner and TW user, this made me laugh way too hard. At least we don't have any long bed vs short bed debates over here.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
I think the Tacoma and Gladiator have the same fuel mileage rating and almost identical horsepower and torque.
The numbers are very similar, the only issue is the power delivery with the automatic transmission in the 3rd gen Tacomas. Reprogramming is the only way to get the auto to drive like it should.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ Mitchell Films

TJ Mitchell Films

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Welder
Go drive both of them and get back to me.
I have. The Tacoma isn't bad at all but I do like the Gladiator better. The 8 speed is amazing.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Go drive both of them and get back to me.
Let's see.... owned a 2017 JKU on 35's, then a 2018 TRD Offroad on 33's, both with 2.5 inch lifts and now a JT on 34's with 3.5 inches of lift.. the difference is negligible and which one is actually better depends driving conditions of the day.
Sponsored