Website
www.YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Welder
Since my retirement, I’ve been driving “dealer trades” for three years, so I get to drive just about every vehicle from tiny cars to F550 chassis. Driven many, many Tacos...not impressed with the power vs horrific mpg I’ve seen on drives of up to 1000 miles. Gladiator may not have much more power, but it feels less lethargic. My trade-in was a 2014 EcoDiesel with amazingly had the same tranny as my day old Gladiator. I’m thinking the difference betwixt the Taco and Jeep might be the transmission. I’ve driven the 6 speed Gladiator, and it felt doggy compared to the 8 speed.
Yeah it’s definitely the 8 speed auto that makes the Gladiator a blast to drive!
Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Since my retirement, I’ve been driving “dealer trades” for three years, so I get to drive just about every vehicle from tiny cars to F550 chassis. Driven many, many Tacos...not impressed with the power vs horrific mpg I’ve seen on drives of up to 1000 miles. Gladiator may not have much more power, but it feels less lethargic. My trade-in was a 2014 EcoDiesel with amazingly had the same tranny as my day old Gladiator. I’m thinking the difference betwixt the Taco and Jeep might be the transmission. I’ve driven the 6 speed Gladiator, and it felt doggy compared to the 8 speed.
The Tacoma auto transmission was the major reason for getting rid of my 2018 TRD Offroad (had a 2017 JKU before this), my older 2009 Tacoma was manual.. I would get pretty frustrated at how poorly my Tacoma drove from not downshifting to when it finally did it was too much too late, as in why drop one gear and it could drop 2 or 3 and nearly redline for a simple non aggressive attempt to accelerate!

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The Tacoma auto transmission was the major reason for getting rid of my 2018 TRD Offroad (had a 2017 JKU before this), my older 2009 Tacoma was manual.. I would get pretty frustrated at how poorly my Tacoma drove from not downshifting to when it finally did it was too much too late, as in why drop one gear and it could drop 2 or 3 and nearly redline for a simple non aggressive attempt to accelerate!
I can't help but feel they woefully undergeared the 6AT Tacoma. I've driven the AT with 4.56 gears and it was outstanding but it also didn't compromise freeway because the 6th gear is so insanely tall. If they had used the same ring gears in both the MT and AT it would have been great but I think that might have cost them an MPG or two.

Stock it was horrid and I completely ruled it out after that test drive when I bought my 6MT.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
I can't help but feel they woefully undergeared the 6AT Tacoma. I've driven the AT with 4.56 gears and it was outstanding but it also didn't compromise freeway because the 6th gear is so insanely tall. If they had used the same gears in both the MT and AT it would have been great but I think that might have cost them an MPG or two.

Stock it was horrid and I completely ruled it out after that test drive when I bought my 6MT.
What I found interesting was that when i tossed on the Toyo MT 255/85r16's that have a diameter of 33.5 inches the transmission actually was a little better around town. As for the highway it didn't help. And the joke of a an ability to manually shift the auto was frustrating.

I checked with 3 dealers in different areas about an update for my VIN and it was always well we will need to test drive your truck and open a case with corporate to see if we can do anything. They all said that my VIN had the latest software and they had no other way of attempting to help. Nice that they wanted to bill Toyota for warranty work, but this wasn't going to do me any good.

Glenn671

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Just traded my 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport for a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. I’ve always loved jeeps, but needed a truck. Right after I bought the Tacoma, Jeep announced the Gladiator... FML!!! However the pricing was just way too much at the time. Fast forward to this past Wednesday. Let’s just say I got a deal I couldn’t refuse!!! So far I fucking love this thing, and have no regrets. Drives better, feels a bit stronger, and can’t wait to take it trailing.

6FEC6886-A8B1-420D-BB90-B34520A5AD76.jpeg

92A2A3D1-D6D3-4DFA-ACAA-FD19E20169C4.jpeg

Sponsored

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Just traded my 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport for a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. I’ve always loved jeeps, but needed a truck. Right after I bought the Tacoma, Jeep announced the Gladiator... FML!!! However the pricing was just way too much at the time. Fast forward to this past Wednesday. Let’s just say I got a deal I couldn’t refuse!!! So far I fucking love this thing, and have no regrets. Drives better, feels a bit stronger, and can’t wait to take it trailing.

6FEC6886-A8B1-420D-BB90-B34520A5AD76.jpeg

92A2A3D1-D6D3-4DFA-ACAA-FD19E20169C4.jpeg
If you don't mind me asking, what did you get the Rubicon for? What is the configuration of it. I am on the fence between getting the sport S with Max tow and then adding Air lockers down the road when I re-gear it (I already have an ARB dual compressor). Or getting a stripped down rubicon. A lot of the stuff the rubicon has I would take off if I added an aftermarket lift, etc. So if I can get a Sport S with max tow for well under 40, that would probably be what I do.

I made a spreadsheet, and with all the armor/ addons I would add, the difference is literally ~ $3000 since the max tow doesn't have the factory lockers.

Glenn671

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If you don't mind me asking, what did you get the Rubicon for? What is the configuration of it. I am on the fence between getting the sport S with Max tow and then adding Air lockers down the road when I re-gear it (I already have an ARB dual compressor). Or getting a stripped down rubicon. A lot of the stuff the rubicon has I would take off if I added an aftermarket lift, etc. So if I can get a Sport S with max tow for well under 40, that would probably be what I do.

I made a spreadsheet, and with all the armor/ addons I would add, the difference is literally ~ $3000 since the max tow doesn't have the factory lockers.
I got mine for $46K using truecar. this is what came one the Gladiator Rubicon.
Included Features
  • Quick Order Package 24R

• Wheels: 17'' x 7.5'' Granite Crystal Aluminum

• Radio: Uconnect 4 w/7'' Display
  • 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio

• Premium Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats

• Performance Suspension
  • All-Weather Slush Mats

• Hardtop Headliner

• Freedom Panel Storage Bag

• 97 mph Maximum Speed Calibration

• 4-Wheel Disc Brakes

• Electronic Stability Control

• ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera

• Voltmeter

• Alloy wheels

• Brake assist

• Driver door bin

• Dual front impact airbags

• Front anti-roll bar

• Front fog lights

• Fully automatic headlights

• Heated door mirrors

• Integrated roll-over protection

• Low tire pressure warning

• Outside temperature display

• Passenger door bin

• Power door mirrors

• Power windows

• Rear anti-roll bar

• Remote keyless entry

• Speed control

• Steering wheel mounted audio controls

• Tilt steering wheel

• Trip computer

• Front beverage holders

• Compass

• AM/FM radio: SiriusXM
  • Black 3-Piece Hard Top

• Manufacturer's Statement of Origin

• Rear Window Defroster

• No Soft Top

• Air Conditioning

• Front Bucket Seats

• Tachometer

• ABS brakes

• Automatic temperature control

• Delay-off headlights

• Driver vanity mirror

• Dual front side impact airbags

• Front dual zone A/C

• Front reading lights

• Garage door transmitter

• Illuminated entry

• Leather steering wheel

• Occupant sensing airbag

• Panic alarm

• Passenger vanity mirror

• Power steering

• Radio data system

• Rear reading lights

• Security system

• Split folding rear seat

• Telescoping steering wheel

• Traction control

• Variably intermittent wipers

• 8 Speakers

• Front Center Armrest w/Storage

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
So.....I finally had time to test drive a Gladiator Rubicon and a Tacoma.
Mostly impressed with the Gladiator- it's just different from what I'm used to.

I've always been very happy with my Toyotas however I was VERY disappointed with the Tacoma. Felt like a tin shed on slow wheels.

MaybeAMojave?

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 6spd. 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro 6spd (totaled by a drunk driver April 2020)
Occupation
Former Aerospace Engineer, Current home renovator
Hey all! 1st post here and I'm torn between the Gladiator and Tacoma.

In 2018 I needed a truck (bought a project house/need to move materials, going on more dirt bike trips and needed to be able to haul a bike). Sold my mild go-fast built XJ 5spd to my brother and bought a Tacoma TRD Pro 6spd. Totally stock except for 32" Duratracs. Truck did everything I wanted it to, albeit with less fizz (and drama) than the Jeep. The suspension was perfectly dialed out of the box for blasting around Pacific Northwest forest roads, and adequate for hitting moderate trails. A month ago a drunk driver totaled my truck in the middle of the night while parked in front of our house. The Gladiator wasn't available in 2018, so here I am.

Here's the question: Anyone have seat time in both a 6spd (Rubi or max tow with 33s) Gladiator and Tacoma? I test drove a Rubi and while I loved LOVED almost everything about it, it felt like a total dog compared to my Tacoma (which itself was no rocketship). The dealer mentioned it was subject to the MT recall and while the taco had a light clutch pedal, it felt like a stiff breeze would be enough to actuate the Gladiator clutch. Maybe it was an issue with that specific one? Seriously, everything else about the truck was great.

So as I see it:

- Gladiator is by far, the cooler truck. Nicer interior. Looks awesome.
- Go fast Off-road (TRD Pro to Mojave), I can't speak from experience but I'm guessing pretty similar
- Go slow off-road, again no experience but guessing not that far off. TRD Pro RTI is a bit better than Mojave (492 PRO 476 Mojave). Approach way better on Mojave, Departure a bit better, Breakover worse. Crawl ratio better on Mojave. Lower weight and shorter length on the PRO.
- Towing goes to the PRO. I don't understand the 4000lb rating on a manual transmission Gladiator.
- Resale, unknown. Insurance paid me more than I paid for my Pro after 2 years and 20k miles (I did drive across the country to get one $2k under MSRP when dealers here want $5k markup).

I have a refundable deposit on an Army Green TRD Pro 6spd for MSRP ($46k as built). I've spec'd out a Mojave 6spd with similar options as come standard on the Taco (leather, both safety packages, upgraded audio) and it's looking like about $48k (well under invoice). If I go Mojave, like the Tacoma, it'd probably stay mostly stock (thinking 34" KO2s).

Thoughts? Opinions?

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO MVIMG_20190827_165432
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO P1040208 (1).JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO IMG_20200204_130113

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Hey all! 1st post here and I'm torn between the Gladiator and Tacoma.

In 2018 I needed a truck (bought a project house/need to move materials, going on more dirt bike trips and needed to be able to haul a bike). Sold my mild go-fast built XJ 5spd to my brother and bought a Tacoma TRD Pro 6spd. Totally stock except for 32" Duratracs. Truck did everything I wanted it to, albeit with less fizz (and drama) than the Jeep. The suspension was perfectly dialed out of the box for blasting around Pacific Northwest forest roads, and adequate for hitting moderate trails. A month ago a drunk driver totaled my truck in the middle of the night while parked in front of our house. The Gladiator wasn't available in 2018, so here I am.

Here's the question: Anyone have seat time in both a 6spd (Rubi or max tow with 33s) Gladiator and Tacoma? I test drove a Rubi and while I loved LOVED almost everything about it, it felt like a total dog compared to my Tacoma (which itself was no rocketship). The dealer mentioned it was subject to the MT recall and while the taco had a light clutch pedal, it felt like a stiff breeze would be enough to actuate the Gladiator clutch. Maybe it was an issue with that specific one? Seriously, everything else about the truck was great.

So as I see it:

- Gladiator is by far, the cooler truck. Nicer interior. Looks awesome.
- Go fast Off-road (TRD Pro to Mojave), I can't speak from experience but I'm guessing pretty similar
- Go slow off-road, again no experience but guessing not that far off. TRD Pro RTI is a bit better than Mojave (492 PRO 476 Mojave). Approach way better on Mojave, Departure a bit better, Breakover worse. Crawl ratio better on Mojave. Lower weight and shorter length on the PRO.
- Towing goes to the PRO. I don't understand the 4000lb rating on a manual transmission Gladiator.
- Resale, unknown. Insurance paid me more than I paid for my Pro after 2 years and 20k miles (I did drive across the country to get one $2k under MSRP when dealers here want $5k markup).

I have a refundable deposit on an Army Green TRD Pro 6spd for MSRP ($46k as built). I've spec'd out a Mojave 6spd with similar options as come standard on the Taco (leather, both safety packages, upgraded audio) and it's looking like about $48k (well under invoice). If I go Mojave, like the Tacoma, it'd probably stay mostly stock (thinking 34" KO2s).

Thoughts? Opinions?

MVIMG_20190827_165432.jpg
P1040208 (1).JPG

IMG_20200204_130113.jpg
I have the stick shift Rubicon JT with the 33" Falken M/T. If you drive it like you stole it (rev. it out), it is impressively fast. No Tacoma, stick or auto, has been able to keep up with it. If you short shift it, like when you are breaking in the engine, then, it can seem less peppy. The clutch is light, but, I have no problem with it. I have about 9K miles on mine now and I have done a lot of hwy and off-road miles. It has been very impressive. I am very happy I bought the Rubicon with the manual tranny option.

Note: while front lockers are "somewhat over-rated"; the sway bar disconnect has been very useful in traversing ruts and large obstacles in a stock Rubicon. I used the Rubicon front lockers in the mud and super steep hill climbs, otherwise, in regular dirt, they adversely effect the precise steering I need to have to put my tires exactly where I want them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MaybeAMojave?

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 6spd. 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro 6spd (totaled by a drunk driver April 2020)
Occupation
Former Aerospace Engineer, Current home renovator
I have the stick shift Rubicon JT with the 33" Falken M/T. If you drive it like you stole it (rev. it out), it is impressively fast. No Tacoma, stick or auto, has been able to keep up with it. If you short shift it, like when you are breaking in the engine, then, it can seem less peppy. The clutch is light, but, I have no problem with it. I have about 9K miles on mine now and I have done a lot of hwy and off-road miles. It has been very impressive. I am very happy I bought the Rubicon with the manual tranny option.

Note: while front lockers are "somewhat over-rated"; the sway bar disconnect has been very useful in traversing ruts and large obstacles in a stock Rubicon. I used the Rubicon front lockers in the mud, otherwise, in regular dirt, they adversely effect the precise steering I need to have to put my tires exactly where I want them.
Glad to hear a positive review! At least in the one I drove, I'd be very very surprised if it could outrun my Tacoma, and I was driving the snot out of it. I don't expect it to be fast, but at least to get out of its own way. The pedal had basically no resistance whatsoever so I'm hoping it was just a wonky clutch. It also felt like 5th and 6th were a bit too high to be useful, but I only had a short jaunt on the freeway @ ~60mph to try them. I guess I need to drive an hour and a half to the next closest manual transmission gladiator to see what another drives like.

Agreed on the front locker. Would be nice if the Mojave had the sway bar disconnect but I suspect it'll do what I need without. I'm sure someone makes quick disconnects if I really find I need a bit more travel.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Tow ratings are better with the automatic, and it does help in the real world, with double overdrive to offset the 4.10s and a deep first gear for take-off. I wish the Mojave had the same offset wheels for interchangeability among stock wheels, but apparently the extra offset to the outside was needed to clear the shocks.

wagonicfolding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep gladiator rubicon
Residual values of Tacoma’s are much better. Tacoma is more spacious and comfortable and reliable. I wouldn’t get the gladiator if you plan on owing it for a long time.

Do you enjoy going to your dealership? Are you mechanically inclined? Do you know what to do when problems arise with a vehicle? Is there a cute person you want their info from at the dealer? If so, then the Jeep. Your vehicle will spend just as much time there as it does on the road.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Residual values of Tacoma’s are much better. Tacoma is more spacious and comfortable and reliable. I wouldn’t get the gladiator if you plan on owing it for a long time.

Do you enjoy going to your dealership? Are you mechanically inclined? Do you know what to do when problems arise with a vehicle? Is there a cute person you want their info from at the dealer? If so, then the Jeep. Your vehicle will spend just as much time there as it does on the road.
Having owned both, the Tacoma is not more spacious inside. I may be wider, but the rear legroom is noticeably less in the Tacoma.

As far as reliability, in the 2.5 years I owned my Tacoma, it already had to have a rear diff whining fixed, transmission reflash, brake booster pump recall, as well as an extended frame warranty due to rust issues (still, all these years later), and a full repaint due to peeling paint less than a year and a half in. I think everyone has their warts.

Last edited:

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I mean legroom is only better on the Gladiator because of its more upright seating but the Tacoma is better in nearly every other metric for front seat space. I'd even argue legroom is better just because the gas pedal is in a more natural position vs the Gladiator.

But you are right the current gen Tacoma is a dent in Toyota's "bulletproof" truck armor... especially the manual transmission because there's a not uncommon surging issue in 2nd and 3rd that went unaddressed for a few years. Why bother when they're only 5% of sales I guess. Had the diff whine in the new rear end as well that I was told is totally normal despite being able to force some nasty harmonics every time at 55mph.

Also that AT was just flat out poorly geared. Every Tacoma should have had the 4.30 rear end.
Sponsored