Sponsored

Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Toyota seems to sell a lot of Tacos and they hold their value well.
Fellow over on another forum got rid of his JKU in favor of a Taco. After a few months the shakes started, not the Taco, the owner. Traded in the Taco on a new JLU.
My opinion, drive whatever scratches your itch.
Sponsored

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiaator Rubicon 2020, 2018 Audi SQ5, 1967 Camaro RS/SS
Occupation
Tech
Toyota seems to sell a lot of Tacos and they hold their value well.
Fellow over on another forum got rid of his JKU in favor of a Taco. After a few months the shakes started, not the Taco, the owner. Traded in the Taco on a new JLU.
My opinion, drive whatever scratches your itch.
I was looking at both, many dealers in the bay area charge over sticker for TACO TRD PRO, I refuse to pay MSRP let alone above. They helped me make my decision, but I continue to be pleased by the truck.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
I was looking at both, many dealers in the bay area charge over sticker for TACO TRD PRO, I refuse to pay MSRP let alone above. They helped me make my decision, but I continue to be pleased by the truck.
Ya this is a weird thing with the Tacoma’s. Before coming back to Jeep from my 2018 TRD Off-road Tacoma the dealership where I bought my 2 Tacoma’s had a new 2018 PRO still sitting on the lot, discounted it was still over 50k (Canada). I asked the sales manager if he actually wanted to sell it and offered 45k, he literally got angry at me. I had a good laugh which made him more mad. While the PRO is very nice trim it is way way overpriced. I got almost 7k off sticker on the Gladiator which made it only slightly more expensive than the 2yr old Tacoma...

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
I feel like I need to defend the Tacoma here because there's a huge difference in how the JT and Taco are spec'd out. The Rubi is the top off-roader without question and even the ZR2 Bison isn't going to compete with a 4:1, live axles, and a pair of lockers. Thing is, the Rubicon is the only way to get those from the factory. Meanwhile, from an off-road standpoint, the basic bitch TRDOR package offers everything the Pro does less the marginally better Fox shocks.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you really want to compare off-road performance, the Tacoma that's $10k less than the Gladiator will show the same results. Meanwhile, if you pick literally any JT that isn't a Rubicon, the difference will be much, much closer. It's the difference between a company who built an unapologetic off-roader as its top trim vs a company who basically created a cosmetic package.
A good ‘fair’ comparison would be the TRD Sport vs an Overland JT.

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
A good ‘fair’ comparison would be the TRD Sport vs an Overland JT.
Can't say I agree... the TRD Sport is the same price as the Off-Road and is specifically tuned in every way to be a street truck. The suspension is crazy stiff on the thing and the tires are run of the mill all seasons you'd find on a Honda Pilot.

If you wanted an off-road comparison, I think a TRDOR and Sport S Max Tow is probably a fair comparison because they're both extremely common configs available to an average income, come with mid-grade AT tires, and are similarly enough priced that they're hitting the same market. TRDOR has the locker and ATRAC to its advantage while the 4.10 live axles in the Jeep give it a much better crawl ratio and articulation.

Basically, just admit that the Rubicon is the king off road and do a meaningful comparison where factors have trade-offs. Then it becomes higher speed vs slower trails.

Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Can't say I agree... the TRD Sport is the same price as the Off-Road and is specifically tuned in every way to be a street truck. The suspension is crazy stiff on the thing and the tires are run of the mill all seasons you'd find on a Honda Pilot.

If you wanted an off-road comparison, I think a TRDOR and Sport S Max Tow is probably a fair comparison because they're both extremely common configs available to an average income, come with mid-grade AT tires, and are similarly enough priced that they're hitting the same market. TRDOR has the locker and ATRAC to its advantage while the 4.10 live axles in the Jeep give it a much better crawl ratio and articulation.

Basically, just admit that the Rubicon is the king off road and do a meaningful comparison where factors have trade-offs. Then it becomes higher speed vs slower trails.
The Rubicon is by far the most capable offroad rig in factory configuration for sure! That should be obvious to anybody that had an understanding of off roading.

As for the rest of this chatter I am out!

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I’ve been out truck shopping and saw the Army Green TRD Pro yesterday. That is a DAMN good looking color. I’ve never been a fan of the current Tacoma’s looks but Army Green makes it acceptable to me. This one had an automatic and zero options for just under $48000. That’s several thousand less than I would pay for a Rubicon. Lots of extra cash for mods..

But, at the end of the day, I’d much rather have the Gladiator. It’s down to that or a Raptor.

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiaator Rubicon 2020, 2018 Audi SQ5, 1967 Camaro RS/SS
Occupation
Tech
I’ve been out truck shopping and saw the Army Green TRD Pro yesterday. That is a DAMN good looking color. I’ve never been a fan of the current Tacoma’s looks but Army Green makes it acceptable to me. This one had an automatic and zero options for just under $48000. That’s several thousand less than I would pay for a Rubicon. Lots of extra cash for mods..

But, at the end of the day, I’d much rather have the Gladiator. It’s down to that or a Raptor.
Did you inquire on the price for the TRD pro, in my area ALL TRD pro are marked up over MSRP, and that is without the Army green, I would expect markup there as well.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota makes a quality vehicle. Unfortunately almost every one of their vehicles is years behind the other manufacturers in terms of technology.

I looked at a 4Runner recently and its touchscreen was about the same size as my old iPhone 6. Pathetic and it goes beyond the screen size - they're years behind the technology of the Gladiator and other vehicles

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Imagine if you will an antique store selling 13" black and white televisions with two dials for controls on the front and a set of rabbit ears on the rear for reception.

The store across the road has 50" 4K high definition color televisions with WiFi, remote control, and multiple input types.

Both have the same price on the tags. Which do you go with? Do you buy the little black and white TV because it's what you grew up with and it's what you know? Or do you buy the larger more modern TV because it's superior in every single category that you can measure televisions by?

Before you scoff and suggest that this is a stupid question, consider this: The Toyota Tacoma is the best selling midsize pickup truck in America.

Yes, pickup truck consumers are a very odd group.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Did you inquire on the price for the TRD pro, in my area ALL TRD pro are marked up over MSRP, and that is without the Army green, I would expect markup there as well.
It was Sunday so they were closed. However they had no markup sticker on it. It's the Larry H Miller dealer in Boulder, CO and they have a reputation for markups, but they also put a markup sticker on the vehicle when they do so.

And remember, just because it's marked up doesn't mean you have to pay it. I've bought many vehicles in the past that had a markup sticker and I still ended up paying below MSRP. The only time I just walk away from a markup is when they've actually added expensive aftermarket items like a suspension lift. Most dealers install a very cheap lift and mark it up MANY TIMES the cost of the product and labor.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
What's the Cliff's Notes version of that video? I hate watching shit like that - too much opinionated fluff not enough useful info

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
If..... it came down to a Taco and a Gladiator for me, my decision is now completely for the Gladiator because the GVWR of the Yota is less than 6000 which doesn't qualify for a huge business write-off.

Not much else out there to compare it to really.
Sponsored