First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Could it be that Gator wasn't a good selling color or dealers didn't think it would sell so they didn't stock them? They stock plenty of white, black and silver Jeeps because they are the most popular colors. Then they charge an extra $245 for Hydra Blue, Granite Clear Coat and Billet Silver. Plenty of those on the dealer lots that I see. Some of us like the Military style green (I consider Gator and Tank to be among those but not Sarge) because we served, others because it's more of a earthy color. I liked it, many of us posting here liked it but perhaps not enough of the others did.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on Covid. Even before the pandemic they inexplicably dropped Punkin. That was right after featuring the color in the Bill Murray Superbowl commercial (a fantastic commercial that kinda made me proud to be a Gladiator buyer.) I really, really liked Punkin (on other people's Gladiators. ;))
I'm not blaming COVID-19 for the color being dropped, I'm saying the number of available Gators for the OP to order or choose from was certainly affected.

Considering they're both built in the Toledo facility, Jeep operates Gladiator production the same as the Wrangler. The Wrangler has famously had colors drop mid-season (often as the summer factory shutdown occurs). This allows for dealers to flush out inventory of the non-mainstream colors. Here is the story a few months back of Punk'n being dropped from the Wrangler line.

And Punk'n was actually my first choice (I'm the Halloween nut in the neighborhood), so I understand the OP's frustration. :devil::angry::crying:

Sponsored

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Anyone noticed that there are more posts under the Gator specific picture thread than any other color? Sure does seem popular.

I'd be curious to know the stats on how many of each color have sold because I don't think it's been canceled due to low sales numbers. At least, it doesn't seem that way.

OP
OP

JeepChak12

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mazda Miata GT
Anyone noticed that there are more posts under the Gator specific picture thread than any other color? Sure does seem popular.

I'd be curious to know the stats on how many of each color have sold because I don't think it's been canceled due to low sales numbers. At least, it doesn't seem that way.
I agree, there was a thread on the forum late last year where everyone voted for their favorite color, I believe gator won with gobi second, both ahead by a huge margin last time I checked. It doesn’t mean that’s what everyone bought but I bet it was pretty popular. I had a dealer tell me in November that it wasn’t popular (I don’t think I saw one in person yet) and I thought yeah right, ppl can’t stop talking about it on the forum. I think the dealers just say that when they don’t have any. When they have one, hurry and buy b/c it’s popular. White overlands and sports are what they made too much of.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I agree, there was a thread on the forum late last year where everyone voted for their favorite color, I believe gator won with gobi second, both ahead by a huge margin last time I checked. It doesn’t mean that’s what everyone bought but I bet it was pretty popular. I had a dealer tell me in November that it wasn’t popular (I don’t think I saw one in person yet) and I thought yeah right, ppl can’t stop talking about it on the forum. I think the dealers just say that when they don’t have any. When they have one, hurry and buy b/c it’s popular. White overlands and sports are what they made too much of.
The few Gobi's and Gators I have seen pop up around the Houston dealerships got scooped up fast and I am just now starting to see the two colors trickle back in again. Last week on of the dealerships got a Gobi it said was in transit two days later I checked and it was gone from the models available but now they have more coming in which is good cause the lots are full of black, white and red.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
My only other thought on the subject is that perhaps seeing it on a JT specific forum may not be a direct correlation with the rest of the world. By that, I mean, JT enthusiasts are probably more likely to spend time on forums and like the weird colors, such a gator. Conversely, the average schmuck or soccer mom who decides to buy one because they seem trendy might look at the babyshit brown JT and totally avoid it in favor of a more mainstream color option.

/randomthoughts

Tom-j

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT gladiator
Occupation
Self employed
I was at the dealership trying to order a new JT and was told Jeep wasn’t taking new special orders at this time. Not sure if it was a tactic to buy one of the lot or not but if it’s true it could explain a lot. I did find what I was looking for 400 miles away so I’m happy.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
A "real" Gladiator in Military Gator and a CJ7 Truck in Olive Drab, flat Gator ;)

Jeep Gladiator Gone Gator Gone?!? M715b

Jeep Gladiator Gone Gator Gone?!? CJ Truck 2

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I was at the dealership trying to order a new JT and was told Jeep wasn’t taking new special orders at this time. Not sure if it was a tactic to buy one of the lot or not but if it’s true it could explain a lot. I did find what I was looking for 400 miles away so I’m happy.
That seems like a dealer tactic. All the ones around me tried to hide that I could order. Even when they only had one on the lot. lol 57k overland, that was a hard pass.

Tom-j

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT gladiator
Occupation
Self employed
That seems like a dealer tactic. All the ones around me tried to hide that I could order. Even when they only had one on the lot. lol 57k overland, that was a hard pass.
I had two dealers tell me the the Rubicon didn’t come in Punk’N. Odd that one is in my driveway now.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I had two dealers tell me the the Rubicon didn’t come in Punk’N. Odd that one is in my driveway now.
There is an old saying "if the dealers lips are moving, he's lying". I think my grandpa told me that when I was buying my first Jeep in 1972. Dealer told me he was selling to me at a loss, grandpa went in and got him down another $500.

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
it is true, order banks closed mid month. No orders for any 2020s are being taken. If you try it will force you into a 2021 Model now. I’ve had a few of my customers that we ordered 2020s at the beginning of the month and they’ve been flipped to 2021s already as the bank is closed on it.

many people thinkthat dealers and salespeople are lying and using it as tactics. I for one used to think that, but now that I work on this side of it I know it’s true when we say it.

Sponsored