Sponsored

Gone Resto Gladiator

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
@stephen707

Look at this...

IMG_20190331_214554558.jpg
look at all that provanance! Its good to know somebody loved her before you will. You don't keep all those records unless you care. Awesome! What is that rusty looking oily bolt thing that resembles an old camera case on the right?
Sponsored

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
look at all that provanance! Its good to know somebody loved her before you will. You don't keep all those records unless you care. Awesome! What is that rusty looking oily bolt thing that resembles an old camera case on the right?
You mean the thing that dripped all over the book after the pic? Lol. Assuming it's the mentioned replaced pump. Will verify. Told the guy I wanted everything that had ever come off the truck. He even saved the previous wiper blade. Story is grandpa died, son sold immediately to my seller, kept one year, nothing major except what maintenance is listed. Tires have little hairs still, so if they are old but look new, that will be one way to date the previous work. Also, these books have hand written notes, so that may indicate what when and who. If accurate lineage, Grandpa had an original well kept Gladiator, meaning he did the primer and maybe it's 62K original miles.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
well 5JeepsAz do we have to call you 6JeepsAz now
now for the primer removal if im reading you right you want to preserve the original paint underneath so the only 2 things i can think of (both slow & labour intensive) try these methods on a small area that is not going to be in your face if it fails
1 probably most likely to succeed is with fine wet n dry paper (600 grit )wet sand the primer until you can see through it then switch to a finer grit to remove till nearly all gone then buff it with a cutting compound
2 if the primer is not too old you might be able to soften & remove with paint thinners the original paint should be well baked & not be harmed by the thinners & you would likely want to buff with a cutting compound when complete
when buffing be careful not to burn the paint i.e. go easy near edges & corners & keep plenty of compound on the area your working until youve had a bit of practice but dont get too over confidend with the buff thats when youll burn it

pilotpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 & 2020 Bright White Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator :)
I trust you because you predicted that you would find the one JT in all of Florida, then did so. So I ask this... If some wad painted your JT in primer, and it's a survivor, maybe only a few like it still running and driving, would you consider painting it? Everything else is near original, best info without a know something looking at it which will happen. Paint? Or leave it dirty?
My dilemma as we speak! My CJ7 is old and “dirty” paint job. Looks great from 150ft but up close it is totally flawed and old. Many have said “leave it, it adds to the character!” I go back and forth. I have replaced most of the after market add ons with factory OEM “original” replacement parts but just haven’t pulled the trigger on new paint. I even went so far as to find “period correct” (as my father would say) LED headlamps so as not to disturb the original look. Either way I don’t think you can go wrong!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
just to add to the "provenance" (sorry Steph, spelling errors can not be overlooked, kidding, you know I care) - I was wondering, since I am a Divorced man, how it feels to have this affair with Cindi, being your (5jeepsAZ) the "second fiddle" ? I suppose I should of Directed that Directly to 5jeepsAZ . . . but I couldn't resist jibbing you at the same time . ;) :giggle:
edit ps; he'll see it eventually, right 5jeepsAZ ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
well 5JeepsAz do we have to call you 6JeepsAz now
now for the primer removal if im reading you right you want to preserve the original paint underneath so the only 2 things i can think of (both slow & labour intensive) try these methods on a small area that is not going to be in your face if it fails
1 probably most likely to succeed is with fine wet n dry paper (600 grit )wet sand the primer until you can see through it then switch to a finer grit to remove till nearly all gone then buff it with a cutting compound
2 if the primer is not too old you might be able to soften & remove with paint thinners the original paint should be well baked & not be harmed by the thinners & you would likely want to buff with a cutting compound when complete
when buffing be careful not to burn the paint i.e. go easy near edges & corners & keep plenty of compound on the area your working until youve had a bit of practice but dont get too over confidend with the buff thats when youll burn it
THANK YOU. asked five people and none confirmed what you said, and I thought what you said could work. LOVE the baked on paint vs. newer layer idea. Just needed someone with a half finished Willy's in their garage to point the way. I'll keep you posted! Thank you!

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My dilemma as we speak! My CJ7 is old and “dirty” paint job. Looks great from 150ft but up close it is totally flawed and old. Many have said “leave it, it adds to the character!” I go back and forth. I have replaced most of the after market add ons with factory OEM “original” replacement parts but just haven’t pulled the trigger on new paint. I even went so far as to find “period correct” (as my father would say) LED headlamps so as not to disturb the original look. Either way I don’t think you can go wrong!
Awesome. Hope you keep me posted on your thought process as you determine your way forward.im going to try the down under man Ian's apprcoaches first. Also consult with a local resto guy to see if I can pay my way through. In the end, the truck will tell me what is possible. The upset stomach for me is the final clear coat. I'm like why clear coat rust?! Thank you for the thoughts

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
just to add to the "provenance" (sorry Steph, spelling errors can not be overlooked, kidding, you know I care) - I was wondering, since I am a Divorced man, how it feels to have this affair with Cindi, being your (5jeepsAZ) the "second fiddle" ? I suppose I should of Directed that Directly to 5jeepsAZ . . . but I couldn't resist jibbing you at the same time . ;) :giggle:
edit ps; he'll see it eventually, right 5jeepsAZ ?
Alrighty. See, the #5 jeep is being sent on to family. Leaving only Cindy! Now, the other problem is I almost called my wife to ask how Cindy was doing. Lol. So picture your next fly fishing trip. If you only had a vintage jeep, you might spend half the trip fixing it. So that's the only reason to get another. I want a daily driver, so getting Cindy there is current focus. I made $2.15 first real job, funny how you we saved like it was a mountain of cash for first car!

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
got a link to the CJ headlights?

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Alrighty. See, the #5 jeep is being sent on to family. Leaving only Cindy! Now, the other problem is I almost called my wife to ask how Cindy was doing. Lol. So picture your next fly fishing trip. If you only had a vintage jeep, you might spend half the trip fixing it. So that's the only reason to get another. I want a daily driver, so getting Cindy there is current focus. I made $2.15 first real job, funny how you we saved like it was a mountain of cash for first car!
So Very True . . . thanks of sharing . . . it's nice not ALWAYS talking JT stuff . . . these side distractions seem to bring us closer together (as people) . . .oh and my regards to both Cindi & Cindy ! :) ;)

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Started a garage for Cindy on jeep Gladiator forum.

Confirmed has limited slip differential (has factory tag under bolt on rear diff).

Found document of engine number.

Serial number may indicate this was #162 in 1964 run.

Has rear plug for trailer.(no wiring).

Has camper manual in glove box (will use to locate vintage appropriate camper shell).

Found name to verify in manuals.

Confirmed this is competent resto to this point, huge effort made to keep original.

Not one drop of oil on cement.

Clean front to back, in and out.

Alright, I'm in love.

I might just be slow to appreciate how beautiful the resto is. Might owe the wad who painted it primer only an apology.

Tonight's little feel up has me thinking this might already be my daily. YUM.

If anybody complains thistis for new JT, I can move this to a resto forum!

Last edited:

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Started a garage for Cindy on jeep Gladiator forum.

Confirmed has limited slip differential (has factory tag under bolt on rear diff).

Found document of engine number.

Serial number may indicate this was #162 in 1964 run.

Has rear plug for trailer.(no wiring).

Has camper manual in glove box (will use to locate vintage appropriate camper shell).

Found name to verify in manuals.

Confirmed this is competent resto to this point, huge effort made to keep original.

Not one drop of oil on cement.

Clean front to back, in and out.

Alright, I'm in love.

I might just be slow to appreciate how beautiful the resto is. Might owe the wad who painted it primer only an apology.

Tonight's little feel up has me thinking this might already be my daily. YUM.

If anybody complains thistis for new JT, I can move this to a resto forum!
It seems like this belongs here because
1) Cindy is amazing, and
2) Cindy is a Jeep Gladiator, and this is jeepgladiatorforum.com

:like:

Keep the updates coming! At least one of us has a gladiator to be proud of!

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

896705f7304f6669cff233db0e26857f.jpg

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
So Very True . . . thanks of sharing . . . it's nice not ALWAYS talking JT stuff . . . these side distractions seem to bring us closer together (as people) . . .oh and my regards to both Cindi & Cindy ! :) ;)
Is Cindi your wife AZ?
Sponsored